Cheers beer

I often have a can of Cheers Blue. It tastes ok and is good to drink.

In days of old I used to freeze a bottle of black cock and have a good old suck on it.

suck on the bottle or the black thingymajig whistling.gif

• 7 months later...

I tried the Cheers Xtra Red for the first time tonight and for someone who is very choosy about his beers I found it very smooth and quite tasty. Certainly knocks spots off the big 3 beers here in Thailand.

When I buy beer it is the Cheers blue. It is one of only 4 lagers that I find tasteful and not heavy on the stomach, and at thew same time is Cheers the cheapest of them all.

Often buy the blue Cheers. It's innocuous and the twin pack in the plastic carry out is great.... Carry out and then recycle neatly. I give mine to and old lady across the street and she donates the money to the temple. I wish more Brewers would do the two to a carry out idea.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/19/2015 at 8:18 PM, Stan42 said:

Is that a joke or is there really a drink called Black Cock, if so what is it (Beer,wine,liquor), what is the alc.%, and where can I find it? Obviously googling Black Cock simply resulted in... well... you know what.

Black Cock is Thai rice whiskey (40%)

Red Cock is Thai Vodka (40%)

Available in most 7/11s and Tesco for around 150bht/litre

On 19/04/2015 at 8:18 PM, Stan42 said:

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is that a joke or is there really a drink called Black Cock, if so what is it (Beer,wine,liquor), what is the alc.%, and where can I find it? Obviously googling Black Cock simply resulted in... well... you know what.

Both Archa and it's cousin Red Horse have been reduced to 5%, but even when Red Horse had 7% it tasted really awful. Cheers Red still has the highest alc% vs price, unless of course you count Lao Khao, but I have my standards.

I really think you need to be more specific in your internet searches, as far as I know it is supplied in large bottles, so I would search for 'big black cock' maybe you will have more success?

6 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Do you have a favourite cycling beer?

Normally we'll drink cider after a ride, with a preference for draft, for cost reasons.  And a preference for special offers, for the same reasons.

Tiger a while back brought out a Radler (lager lemonade in slightly stronger quantities than normal shandy) but generally not available on draught - I guess there might not be enough cyclists about to justify it

SC

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 9:56 PM, chickenslegs said:

I hesitate to ask... but, what were you Googling that led you to this 2 year old post? :ohmy:

I was looking for a website to define the contents of the cheap Thai local spirits. Which often have 'undefined' contents.

Uncle Tom Green, is Gin and it's totally undrinkable, made me want to throw up after a couple, nasty chemical taste, 220bht from big supermarkets.

Red Cock is Vodka (same company) and actually not bad at all for 150bht/bottle (Tesco Lotus stores)

On 4/19/2015 at 8:18 PM, Stan42 said:

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Both Archa and it's cousin Red Horse have been reduced to 5%, but even when Red Horse had 7% it tasted really awful. Cheers Red still has the highest alc% vs price, unless of course you count Lao Khao, but I have my standards.

Red Horse. The chosen drink of Filipino ladyboys served warm. It is flippin hongking!

Actually I found Red Horse if served cold is quite good. San Miguel however isn't as good here as the stuff on the Phils. Not sure why that is.

A few months ago a local Ma and Pa shop was selling large bottles of Cheers Red. Good stuff and cheaper than Leo. Unfortunately they can't source the large bottles anymore just the can.

Lately however I've been drinking Tiger in large bottles. Cold and just 50 baht from the Ma and Pa store. Can't beat that.

Local coffee shop sells Tiger for 80 baht and Leo for 75. Crazy prices in comparison to the Ma and Pa store.

37 minutes ago, CMKiwi said:

Lately however I've been drinking Tiger in large bottles. Cold and just 50 baht from the Ma and Pa store. Can't beat that.

Local coffee shop sells Tiger for 80 baht and Leo for 75. Crazy prices in comparison to the Ma and Pa store.

I agree, nothing beats having a beer outside a shop sitting on a concrete bench, or even standing, as long as it saves 20 Baht. :sleep:

On 4/21/2017 at 5:23 PM, MaeJoMTB said:

I was looking for a website to define the contents of the cheap Thai local spirits. Which often have 'undefined' contents.

Better stop looking for that, because if you really found out all the undefined contents, I believe you at least would feel uncomfortable.

I'm sure you realise in which country you are and what's the meaning of undefined if you know that many ingredients of other products, which are banned in civilized countries, are openly written on the labels here.

8 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

I agree, nothing beats having a beer outside a shop sitting on a concrete bench, or even standing, as long as it saves 20 Baht. :sleep:

i had a mate who used to sit on the kerb outside the 7/11 drinking beer, quite sad

i drink soda and that is more expensive in bars but that's what you'd expect. but everyone to their own.

Well then I/we must be spoilt as our local Ma and pa store actually has chairs and tables. And as an extra bonus we get clean glasses too!

I have seen some locals drinking beer through a straw...that must be fun. But at least we don't get the slack packer crowd either sitting on a kerb or walking down the street guzzling down a large bottle of whatever is cheapest. Dressed in a dirty wife beater singlet with equally gungy dreadlocks.

Maybe I'm generalising too much.

But I must say our local Ma and Pa store does a roaring trade and are always happy to find items we like. Beer just being just one of many things and it's good to see they have a great rotation of stock and keep it ice cold.

As some folks have mentioned, we all have individual tastes. I like Cheers Red whereas others prefer Cheers blue. I also use to like Chang Draught but they stopped bottling that ages ago, and Chang Classic always gives me a Chang-over.

6 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

Well then I/we must be spoilt as our local Ma and pa store actually has chairs and tables. And as an extra bonus we get clean glasses too!

I have seen some locals drinking beer through a straw...that must be fun. But at least we don't get the slack packer crowd either sitting on a kerb or walking down the street guzzling down a large bottle of whatever is cheapest. Dressed in a dirty wife beater singlet with equally gungy dreadlocks.

Maybe I'm generalising too much.

But I must say our local Ma and Pa store does a roaring trade and are always happy to find items we like. Beer just being just one of many things and it's good to see they have a great rotation of stock and keep it ice cold.

As some folks have mentioned, we all have individual tastes. I like Cheers Red whereas others prefer Cheers blue. I also use to like Chang Draught but they stopped bottling that ages ago, and Chang Classic always gives me a Chang-over.

I pop around to one of the "mum and dad" shops round here. Get a cold Leo and sit outiside. Always have a laugh with them, buy some crackers and feed their dogs.

Archived