Cheers beer

I don't think I was too impressed with Cheers but at one time I used to get Archa which was ok, then went for the stronger taste of Chang. Now that the price has gone up and the ABV come down I may go back to Archa, not sure how much these days.

Cambodia and Vietnam have decent beer, but not great or even good. However, when it's cheap it's fine with me. I paid like 12baht for a bottle of Saigon Green (8k VND) in some place. Laos, however, has cheap AND good beer... if i do a visa run there, i will stay a few days just for the beer.

I refuse to drink Chang now after they lowered ABV. If I want to drink beer for cheap with a punch, I drink Red Horse.

I've never had Cheers Red and it has been a while since i've had Archa.

I may try Cheers Red tonight if it is fairly fresh.

I remember back in 2010, the first time i cam here, how cheap beer was....

i miss those days :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

To save money, i've been drinking Black Cock. It's not bad, and it's cheap.

Is that a joke or is there really a drink called Black Cock, if so what is it (Beer,wine,liquor), what is the alc.%, and where can I find it? Obviously googling Black Cock simply resulted in... well... you know what.

I don't think I was too impressed with Cheers but at one time I used to get Archa which was ok, then went for the stronger taste of Chang. Now that the price has gone up and the ABV come down I may go back to Archa, not sure how much these days.

Both Archa and it's cousin Red Horse have been reduced to 5%, but even when Red Horse had 7% it tasted really awful. Cheers Red still has the highest alc% vs price, unless of course you count Lao Khao, but I have my standards.

I drink two cans of Cheers Red before going to bed. Alc: 6%, 44thb at 7/11.

Yes, the Cheers Xtra isn't a bad beer at all when you want something a little different tasting. The blue cans on the other hand taste of nothing much.

As for Cheers, I found the taste / quality differs from time to time --- just my bad luck, or no quality control perhaps?

For "white spirits", try the one that macro sells, 40%, 115 baht, tasteless and therefore excellent to mix with orange juice, cola, etc.

The name escapes me now, but with the same brand name macro also sells different mixers, such as cocoa, minth, etc.

Guarantee no headache, it is pure alcohol!

Just came back from the supermarket with a can of Cheers to try. I was sitting down outside the supermarket when a Thai guy sits next to me. He had a cold can of Cheers and a bottle of green tea . He opened the Cheers and started drinking it through the straw he got with the green tea and alternatively drinking the green tea out of the bottle. Is that strange behavior because i couldn't work it out. Anyway it is a bit warm today - when beer tastes extra good so my gf buys me a can to try.

Sorry it sounds like a facebook adventure but that has been the highlight of my day.

Just came back from the supermarket with a can of Cheers to try. I was sitting down outside the supermarket when a Thai guy sits next to me. He had a cold can of Cheers and a bottle of green tea . He opened the Cheers and started drinking it through the straw he got with the green tea and alternatively drinking the green tea out of the bottle. Is that strange behavior because i couldn't work it out. Anyway it is a bit warm today - when beer tastes extra good so my gf buys me a can to try.

Sorry it sounds like a facebook adventure but that has been the highlight of my day.

Cheers for that xen thumbsup.gif

Tried the Cheers last night. Nothing too special, but not terrible. To me, for the price difference, I would drink it over LEO. Tonight, I should try Archa or Cheers Xtra. The only thing is, Archa and Cheers Xtra are never fresh. I was lucky to find some Cheers made on 04/04/15.

So I go to Makro tonight to get a case of brew. Well, it turns out Cheers Xtra is now only 6.0 ABV... instead of 6.5

What is going on with the beer here? They raise the price, lower the alcohol and make the bottles smaller.... the hell.

But i did take the advice of a poster here, and I did get the potato and sugar cane spirit from Charles House at 115b for a bottle.

We'll see if it is better than Black or Red Cock... it is cheaper, so that's a plus.

So I go to Makro tonight to get a case of brew. Well, it turns out Cheers Xtra is now only 6.0 ABV... instead of 6.5

What is going on with the beer here? They raise the price, lower the alcohol and make the bottles smaller.... the hell.

But i did take the advice of a poster here, and I did get the potato and sugar cane spirit from Charles House at 115b for a bottle.

We'll see if it is better than Black or Red Cock... it is cheaper, so that's a plus.

Yes I forgot the name, but it is Charles House indeed.

Completely tasteless, therefore NO bad taste.... and excellent to mix.

I add it to my banana milk shakes, much better than Thai imitation beer.

With freshly made orange or tomato juice it is excellent too.

Or of course coke, Fanta.

BTW has anyone ever tried that poison-green or poison-blue colored Fanta?

I still can't believe somebody decided to name a drink Black Cock. It sure makes for some good pick-up lines though.

I am in Madeira - Portugal now, and one of the local Portuguese white wines is named Gatao, cat.

You drink it young, so it could be translated as Young Cat, or shorter, pussy.

Never seen anyone up north, way up north stoop so low as to drink Arch or Cheer. I'm not trying to be snooty......just never seen it. Leo is the norm for most of village.

That is all very well if you like it, too sweet for me. Made for the Thai palette.

Never seen anyone up north, way up north stoop so low as to drink Arch or Cheer. I'm not trying to be snooty......just never seen it. Leo is the norm for most of village.

That is all very well if you like it, too sweet for me. Made for the Thai palette.

Most Thai people I know who drink beer drink Leo. It's not bad, but I prefer the foamy, musky aftertaste Cheers Red leaves behind.

I tried the Red Cheers Xtra last night and it was pretty good. Though I wish it were still 6.5 Abv

That problem can be easily fixed, since you also bought Charles House.....

I never tried with beer, but I do it with Thai wine.

PS Thailand sells Australian "wine" that is a mixture of wine and fruit juice (for tax reasons), and yet it is 12% - that can only mean that pure alcohol was added. So my idea of adding Charles House is not as ridiculous as it sounds!

That being said, I am now in Madeira enjoying Portuguese wines, about 3 euro (100 baht) for an excellent bottle.

To save money, i've been drinking Black Cock. It's not bad, and it's cheap.

If you are going to drink muck you cant beat Ya dong at about 60 baht a bottle or 10 baht a shot. Cheers extra in the red can at the reduced 6% is not bad, the blue one is rubbish. Leo is for Thais and people with absolutely no taste at all. Red horse is good but they sometimes seem to run short like with beer Lao.

Archived