Using a currency exchange or... what?

Is it worth my while using a currency exchange on the street or a BTS station etc. for $35, or is there some alternative I don't know about?

I need to get a tourist visa for Laos and the best advice is to turn up with 35USD rather than paying on arrival with Thai baht, the reason being they will charge you 1500THB at the border.

According to coinmill today 35USD is 1133.75 in Thai baht, so I'd be saving over 300THB if I just nip to a currency exchange before leaving. Having said that, I've not used one outside Malaysia so I have no idea if using some place on the street or at a BTS station is the best way to go.

We're only talking about a few hundred baht but take care of the pennies and the pounds look after themselves. Why throw 300THB away for nothing?

But maybe there is something more I can learn from making a post about it....

Cheers!

Yes you should just exchange it at a currency exchange to dollars, ones at the BTS are all banks so they are reputable and can be trusted. People say Super Rich has one of the best exchange rates, you can search their website for branches. But the exchange amount is so small I wouldn't sweat over it.

• Like 1

Thanks very much, Mike!

I'll research Super Rich locations.

-

There's one near Chitlom but I live near On Nut so probably not worth me going there since as you said the rate will be negligible I may as well use one near me.

Edited by Squeegee

Thanks very much, Mike!

I'll research Super Rich locations.

There's one near Chitlom but I live near On Nut so probably not worth me going there since as you said the rate will be negligible I may as well use one near me.

I agree with others that for 35 US$, it is not worth the time running around looking for the best exchange rate, you might only safe few single Baht...

BUT... in your initial post, you talked about the coinmill exchange rate - I am sure you know that this is NOT the rate you get at ANY booth when you exchange money! The will offer you the banknote SALE rates which is different from the TT rate - different meaning worse for you, so you pay more THB for 35 US$ banknotes than when you calculate with the TT rate.