Problems Downloading - Part 2

agsnowdon

Part II

I have just got my TOT 1MB line installed and done a speed test and got over 900KBS so am happy with that.

I connect via a modem I think (always get these confused) and by a yellow cable to my PC so I gather that’s the Ethernet cable.

I am getting crappy download speeds and have made the following settings to my modem and enabled EPnP.

post-17137-1157373374_thumb.jpg

I have made these settings to my application.

post-17137-1157373413_thumb.jpg

Then these settings to my firewall.

post-17137-1157373647_thumb.jpg

After doing everything what I thought to be correct I was still getting crappy speeds and I asked a friend and he said "try using the encryption option (under connections in Azureus, check "require encryption".) If your ISP throttles your bandwidth by sniffing the packets, this will most likely thwart them."

So I changed these setting too and here's a screen shot.

post-17137-1157374172_thumb.jpg

After changing these settings my download speeds have reached over 100kb/s.

To MONTY or anyone else that reads this - Monty said that TOT could be packetshaping P2P traffic so have the above settings in the fourth picture bypassed this?

Also do I really need to make the settings I have made in the fourth picture to make my download speeds work, surley I have set the firewall, modem and application up correct or is it just as Monty says TOT are packetshaping P2P traffic?

Hope there's enough info here if not just SHOUT lol.

Thanks for any help in advanced!

Cheers

Ash

Edited by agsnowdon

Part II

I have just got my TOT 1MB line installed and done a speed test and got over 900KBS so am happy with that.

I connect via a modem I think (always get these confused) and by a yellow cable to my PC so I gather that’s the Ethernet cable.

I am getting crappy download speeds and have made the following settings to my modem and enabled EPnP.

After doing everything what I thought to be correct I was still getting crappy speeds and I asked a friend and he said "try using the encryption option (under connections in Azureus, check "require encryption".) If your ISP throttles your bandwidth by sniffing the packets, this will most likely thwart them."

To MONTY or anyone else that reads this - Monty said that TOT could be packetshaping P2P traffic so have the above settings in the fourth picture bypassed this?

Also do I really need to make the settings I have made in the fourth picture to make my download speeds work, surley I have set the firewall, modem and application up correct or is it just as Monty says TOT are packetshaping P2P traffic?

Cheers

Ash

Why you use the same port for TCP and UDP? Change one of them and try again. It looks like a Port conflict.

Part II

Cheers

Ash

Just a side note ... If your isp is packetshaping P2P traffic its probably for good reasons. I can understand you are trying to get the max speed out of your ADSL Line, But maybe you could try to find the same content closer to you, even in thailand. If everybody is using some trick to get the full speed we all know what s going to happen. So please try to find whatever you download in thailand / taiwan / singapour / malaysia first.

Thanks for reading.

Changing the default port numbers used by your P2P client (eMule etc.) sometimes helps bypassing the shaping done by your ISP. Since signature-based recognition of P2P protocols is getting increasingly difficult these days, some low-end ISPs resort to the lame strategy of catching packets going to the default port numbers used by the P2P programs.

--Lannig