Divorcing a Thai girl which we married in Australia, both in Thailand now

bkkheat

Hi,

I was wondering the best and quickest way to get a divorce done.

Been separated a year, we have a child support arrangement in place.

We just want to both be divorced and I understand all I have to do is go to this website comcourts.gov.au and pay the $865 fee and just wait for the paperwork.

Anyone have any experience in all this? Is that all I need to do and wait for the papers to be served to both of us? Any more fees etc?

I was married in Philippines, wife and I both want divorce. I checked with a couple of law offices and was told I needed to divorce in Phils, could not do it here. I would love to hear differently.

I was married in Philippines, wife and I both want divorce. I checked with a couple of law offices and was told I needed to divorce in Phils, could not do it here. I would love to hear differently.

Hello Mr. Bob ! Can you get a divorce in the Philippines ? I was told it was almost impossible over there ! What is a real answer ?

A friend of mine got married there and as he is not Catholic , the wedding was made by a local judge at a Resort. Official paperwork were done at the same

time and place with witnesses signature. He got his official copies later during the week at a government building in the city.

my sister, uk citizen, recently divorced her australian husband in australia. i dont know the details but i understand they had to go through some counselling with relationship australia (?) before divorcing. i understood the australian government wants to try to keep families together, they have four children. not sure if this will apply to you...?

OP: Divorce process in Australia is outlined at the following URL, as well as access to the necessary forms for filing.

http://www.familylawcourts.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/FLC/Home/Separation+and+Divorce/Divorce/

The function of the web site you referenced is explained at the URL below.

http://www.familylawcourts.gov.au/wps/wcm/connect/FLC/Home/Publications/Family+Law+Courts+publications/CCP_User_Guide

Yes ok.

We were not legally married in Thailand.

The Australian Embassy said I do have to go to the website comcourts.gov.au and pay the fee and just wait to get all the papers.

​Seems quite easy, but that fee seems ridiculously compared the the Thai 80 Baht fee lol oh well, it must be done.

I guess is the easiest way to do it. Embassy said no other fees are needed if both of us are in agreement with everything, but if your wife disagrees with everything and wants to make it difficult, thats when the fees can go up a lot

You are married in Thailand and in almost every country.

Divorcing in Australia means compulorary counselling which costs and is not as easy as it sounds

If both of you agree with what you are doing catch a plane to Thailand. Register your marriage at an amphur with your existing documents. Having done this both of you go to the ampur and in 5 minutes you can be divorced if you have all your agreements made.

Much less fuss. No minimum period and no waiting.

• Like 1

You can go ahead and get divorced on the site for $865 as long as you have been separated for more than a year and you have been married for more than 2 years. You only need counselling if you have been married less than 2 years.

Even if your wife contests, the only reason for the divorce not to be granted is if she proves you have not been separated for a year or some other exceptional reason. If not and only you sign, the only extra you pay is about $100 to serve her with the papers.

If you both agree and sign the application, no problem. You will have a court date set for about 2 months ahead and you will be divorced a month and 1 day after that, so 3 months in total. No need to attend court.

Either of you then have 1 year to apply for any settlement. This does not affect the divorce and is a separate matter and after a year lapses that is it. Only obligation is what is agreed to or what is mandated.

Good luck, the sooner you lodge, the sooner you are free.

Yeah we were married 8 years. Got married in Australuia

Both live in Thailand

Agreed on who gets what already

Been separated 1 and a half years

We have a daughter and already made the financial arrangements with child support

I was told the Thai Amphur can not do anything as the marriage is not registered in Thailand, I just need to submit it online and thats it.

I think I have it all sorted now and know the procedure

I know for a fact, US citizens married in the USA can get divorced at the Thai Amphur.

But such divorce is only valid (in the eyes of the US gov't) if you or the wife are residing in Thailand. Otherwise the divorce is expected to be legally performed in your state of residence in the US.

(Btw, I know this for fact.)

Edited by Gumballl

You can go ahead and get divorced on the site for $865 as long as you have been separated for more than a year and you have been married for more than 2 years. You only need counselling if you have been married less than 2 years.

Even if your wife contests, the only reason for the divorce not to be granted is if she proves you have not been separated for a year or some other exceptional reason. If not and only you sign, the only extra you pay is about $100 to serve her with the papers.

If you both agree and sign the application, no problem. You will have a court date set for about 2 months ahead and you will be divorced a month and 1 day after that, so 3 months in total. No need to attend court.

Either of you then have 1 year to apply for any settlement. This does not affect the divorce and is a separate matter and after a year lapses that is it. Only obligation is what is agreed to or what is mandated.

You mean he won't have to give sh*t about his kid anymore?

You mean he won't have to give sh*t about his kid anymore?

The court if the judge is not on the face of it satisfied with arangements can order that the child be seperately represented by lawyers at your cost.