Many Thai drivers/riders become aggressive when you overtake them. Why?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had two young guys (maybe early twenties) riding two up, blast past me on the motorway last week. Both gave me a thumbs, I overtook and stopped at Bangna intersection when they stopped next to me and gave me another thumbs up.

Does that count?

Decades ago, on the way to Spain on a RD 350 loaded with luggage and "lost" near Basel, Switzerland, a teen on his 80 cc raced me. I let him win - who cares? Such juvenile behavior is sadly not uncommon.

Another issue is car drivers' superiority. They are running a red light and force the biker to break and give way!

Countless times, I'm being overtaken, then the car breaks and turns left. Out of sight, out of mind?

Ignorant, self-absorbed people. They love to pull into a busy road. The biker might as well be a mosquito. No quick accelleration. Nope, they need a few seconds to do that. This hesitation was often observed...

And why are some car drivers constantly messing with the gas? Faster - slower - faster - slower

rant over

I would take issue with the word "many", I have been here 8 years and in all that time I have seen one incident of road rage, from one guy in a BMW and another in a truck.

I know there is a big difference between the West Country where everything is calm and the home counties where the driving is more aggressive, so I guess the same applies in Thailand.

Whether things are worse here than the UK I don't know, on one hand the Thais are more laid back and submissive, on the other it is hot and when they go they go.