Eucaliptus trees

AlexO

Hi All.

Have just bought 4 Rai of land for the missus. There is quite a large plantation of Eucaliptus trees on the land.

Has anyone experience of this type of tree in Issan, are they worth keeping as a cash crop?

4 rai of eucalyptus. You will be lucky if you have her family cut it down to see MAYBE 32,000 baht in their pockets. After its harvested you need to dig ALL roots out and burn. If you don't you won't grow a weed on the land. Most small eucalyptus farms of your size make very little money and it takes about 5 years growth to get up to being worth while.

Edited by khwaibah

It is new growth from fairly large cut back root mass, probably max 60mm thick just now.

Do not plan to do anything with the land for about 4 months as working in Lao just now. People who I bought land from have agreed to clear the land and I just wanted to know if I should have done now or wait for 4 months.

It is new growth from fairly large cut back root mass, probably max 60mm thick just now.

Do not plan to do anything with the land for about 4 months as working in Lao just now. People who I bought land from have agreed to clear the land and I just wanted to know if I should have done now or wait for 4 months.

The sooner you get the old root mass out the sooner the ground can start to rejuvenate from the eucalyptus taken from the soil.

• Like 1