beggars/homeless people in thailand and how are they treated

Howitzer

This is what i observed in pattaya and bkk.

When i was in pattaya and i was seated at an outdoor restaurant i saw one old man walk by and try to get money from the patrons. Thank god i was seated not next to the pavement because that was where the beggar was standing but one couple was seated there. I turned to look at him and i think he was also trying to get my attention but i think the couple he was standing next to had it the worst.

Next was at walking street around 5am. Most of the bars had already closed. One was closing and i saw a male and female couple each carrying a small child in their arms asking for money from the bar girls and their farang johns. I also noticed people carrying stalks of roses pressuring passers by to buy them. I noticed one female seller harrassing a female bar girl on the 10 bht taxi whose arm she grabbed earlier when she came out from the bar but was told to piss off by her male companion presumably her john. She stood there still offering her flowers for sale even though they were seated on the taxi i didn't stay long enough to watch the eventual outcome but needless to say everyone knows how it ended.

Afterwards in bkk while walking on soi ruamrudi which is next to wireless road i saw a homeless man sleeping by the roadside who had his pants pulled down.

I know every country in the world has such people but how are they treated like in thailand? Do homeless people in western countries fare better?

Does thailand treat its destitute people with scorn?

What role do the temples play in this seeing that thailand is quite a religious country and one of the basic tenets of it's national religion buddhism is kindness to the less fortunate and yes i am not that naive to think that all thais would follow the religion or even act in that manner even though a good majority of them go to the temples to pray regularly as indulging in religious rites and rituals is seperate from following religious teachings and living them day to day.

I think you will find that Thai's have a lot more compassion to these people than you seem to have shown to any of them !

Serious? I didn't see any thai buy anything from them or give any money to them or house any of them.

• Like 2

Not a homeless man who begs fom shop owners and gets not money but cigs and drinks.

A couple of whom the man is supposedly blind goes from bar to bar begging, according to my gf they are both rich and do it anyway.

Each month thai women especially send money in those white envelopes for the poor, and i hasten to add they do give to beggers more than what i have seen farangs do.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

"I know every country in the world has such people but how are they treated like in Thailand? Do homeless people in western countries fare better?"

Western countries have social security. Were I come from every citizen is entitled to 1k a month, a room at the homeless shelter and 1 warm meal per day. As far as I know the Thai government does not provide social security. The mentioned food and shelter is mostly only accessible through Temples or other non-profit organizations.

Thai people ARE more compassionate towards these people but they simply don't have the logistics to help those in need.

Edited by Stan42
  • Like 2

"I know every country in the world has such people but how are they treated like in Thailand? Do homeless people in western countries fare better?"

Western countries have social security. Were I come from every citizen is entitled to 1k a month, a room at the homeless shelter and 1 warm meal per day. As far as I know the Thai government does not provide social security. The mentioned food and shelter is mostly only accessible through Temples or other non-profit organizations.

Thai people ARE more compassionate towards these people but they simply don't have the logistics to help those in need.

I can tell that you are not from the US.........and you don't know about the "logistics" in Thailand.

• Like 1

Even The Thai Government says dont give to beggars. I do give to people that are genuinely disabled, like blind, I have given to a girl in Bangkok regularly, she was badly burned, that's diffident from people who just beg for the sake of it, people with small children playing the sympathy card. or have half a leg missing.

Just like many countries, there are those truly in need, then those that work the system. I had a Thai woman beg at me, she had a bad arm. I didn't give her money, so she started screaming and probably cursing me. Fifteen minutes later I see her walking down the street, pulls off her t-shirt, and has no arm problem at all, it was just an act. I think that's often the case with the guys you see having big sores....the same sores they've had over the last three years. But in the US, there have been documented cases of people standing on the street corner with a "need help" sign, and at the end of their day they go around the corner and drive off in a Mercedes Benz. I think many Thai's give some money to beggars as a way to give merit and improve their spiritual side. Many beggars use that as a business ruse. And as one Op said above, I also have heard that, let's call them the beggar mafia, distribute the beggars around the city, round them up, and take most of what was collected. Rather than give money, buy them some fruit. If they are really begging and hungry, they'll take it.

I give plenty to the blind soprano saxophone player I see from time to time. As a sax player I know he's good.....AND blind.

I also give to those with a disability that is obvious, but I'd prefer to give food. It's not always practical though.

I had a beggar in India throw fruit back at me and said she only wanted money.

Edited by F4UCorsair

I've seen Thai people give money to beggars, think it's the same as any country. It's a numbers game like anything, a few hundred people walk past, 1 will give money.

If I have anything spare I will give, especially the ladies holding a baby, get's me every-time.

• Like 1

I would add that welfare in many areas is contingent on an address and so many homeless can't collect.

Mental illness is a huge issue for many homeless and they refuse the help offered.

I think because Social security doesn't exist in Thailand, that Thais are more likely to give to beggars.

• Like 1

It's definitely a hard one. give money or food if you feel it's right. I have some regular people I give to, even though I suspect granny is a gambler. if they receive with thanks then they are worthy, if they throw it in your face well...The other day I ended up in a bus depot rather than my usual stop. I knew roughly where I was - Rama 4 road. A rough-looking pair were swaggering along, looked intoxicated. I carried along the road normally. As soon as the woman saw me she panicked, then saw an opportunity and started begging in my face! I had a bottle of water given to me by the slum schools and offered it straight to her (it was boiling hot). She was too lazy to even try to seem convincing but she said 'gin kow!' (I want to eat food!) so I said 'me too!'

I wouldn't have given her money as I suspect she was up to no good and it wouldn't really help her. I changed my 'walking quickly past' behaviour when I lived in Sutthisan and used to see young office girls giving 20 baht to people on bridges. I decided that if a spare 20 was around in my bag, it would be more use to them. So my attitude is give, when and if you feel the time is right.

The only place I see beggars is in tourist areas… it is their occupation. I live near a small city and it nearly never happens that there is a beggar. The monks get food every day from the residents and share it w/whoever is in need - they have more than plenty which is also why you see so many stray dogs congregating there.

I do remember one time seeing a young man with a child outside a 7/11 on the hwy… my wife gave him 50 baht. I sat and watched as people gave readily. I calculated that he would be getting more than 1000 baht in an hour. When I told my wife, she said if he didn't need it he wouldn't be out there… and sure enough, about 10 minutes later he had what he needed and left…

• Like 1

Sorry but I doubt its 99% , it may be a large number but Bangkok is too large to only have 550 beggers and all controlled by a gang ,

I doubt the ones in the Thai areas of Chinatown have ever been to Sukhumvit !

Again , take the assets of the gang , throw them in jail and give the assets to the poor.......

I can dream :)

As another poster commented, the mother and baby begging routine is often a scam perpetrated by Cambodians.

Personally I would never give to a street beggar (though I do raise money for a legit Thai charity). Thai girls sometimes like to give money to Thai beggars for "Chok Dee".

Edited by MuayThai 4U
  • Like 1

The beggars are hired from Burma and Cambodia and driven to work in the morning by van and picked up at night. They give part of their earnings to the beggar boss who recruited them and keep part.

Nice try. there are beggars who as you say are hired.

How ever there are many who have needs and use all the money they get to support them selves. There are also beggars who take all the money and drink or drug it up. I have no problem giving to them in my area. My wife has been around long enough that she knows the ones who use it for drink and I give them nothing. The ones who are for real I will give them any where from 20 to 100 baht.

In a lot of the large western cities there are many people living underground. In deserted tunnels and what not. Here the climate is such that they can for the most part live on the street.

Edit

As has been already stated they also have the choice of going to a Wat.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 2

I would add that welfare in many areas is contingent on an address and so many homeless can't collect.

Mental illness is a huge issue for many homeless and they refuse the help offered.

I think because Social security doesn't exist in Thailand, that Thais are more likely to give to beggars.

Homeless or mentally sick in Europe means you're disgusted as a bum and locked away from society.

Usually forever.

Thai people will leave food and drink for there gods, Cause a spirit needs to be fed and watered. Homeless people get nothing.

No, !!! homeless people are allowed to eat the food given to Buddha...I saw it several times....

• Like 1

The greatest bunch of beggars are treated with immense respect and wear a sort of yellowish coat...you can see them every morning and they make a hell lot of money...and even get food for free...some even made enough to buy a plane....

The colour is Saffron, not yellowish....!