Child's 1st Passport UK

Hi TV PPL. I wish to apply for my child's 1st UK passport. She is now 3 years old as we have loved in Thailand since her birth My name is on birth certificate but her family name is still Thai as we are not married

I would like any info/links to up to date application form and also everything needed to apply.

Thanks all.

That link contains another link to the supporting documents you need.

You need the Thai parent's birth certificate, though not essential as they are not British, and the child's birth certificate, of course.

As you rightly say, you need your birth certificate; but it is your long form birth certificate, which includes your parents' details, you need, not the short form one which contains only your details.

This is to show whether you are British by descent or British otherwise than by descent; see here. As your child was born outside the UK, she will only be British if you are British otherwise than by descent.

If you do not have your long form birth certificate you can order one from the GRO. (That link is for people born in England or Wales. If you were born in Scotland or Northern Ireland follow the appropriate link from there.)

What documents are needed from my Thai Spouse?

You may need evidence of your child's mother's marital entanglements (more precisely, disentanglements). If she was married to someone else when your child was born, then your child won't automatically be British - British Nationality Act 1981 Section 50(9A) as amended by the British Nationality Act 2002.

That price is 'normal'. This is Thailand. Don't stress too much on the pennies on getting such an important document right first time.

My only advice is making sure that all parties involved use 100% the same translation of your name into Thai on all subsequent Thai language documentation. You haven't used your surname on the birth certificate so that avoids a typical pitfall where conflicts in spelling can occur. However, If you have an MFA certified translation of your name as it appears in your passport (assuming this is the only form of ID that you have proffered while waiting for your long-form birth certificate), make doubly sure that their approved translation is used for everything else moving forward. The translation of your birth certificate will need to match the one already MFA certified. If you chose to marry, your affidavit of freedom to marry must also use the 'approved' translation. It is surprising how different translation agencies can read or hear things differently.

Good luck!

That price is 'normal'. This is Thailand.

I can't remember what we paid, it was 15 years ago. But 2500baht is only about £50 and, presumably, includes the MFA fee. Seems reasonable to me.

Even more reasonable if the agency went to the MFA for you.

Although most UK translation agencies charge per word, they do have minimum charges and charge more for translations from languages such as Thai than they would from European languages; which means that most would charge you more than £50 per document! (None of the ones I have checked list fees on their websites, they ask you to contact them for a quote; so obviously do not have a standard fee.)

If you ever decide to move to the UK then it will be a lot cheaper to have all your translations of birth certificates etc., done in Thailand than in the UK.