Retirement Visa Renewal, Amnat Charoen

But if, indeed, it is literally another visa that you're after, then you'll be wasting your time completely by going to Annat Charoen Immigration Office since they don't issue visas. Instead you'll need to make a trip to Vientiane in PDR Laos and obtain a fresh non-O visa from the Royal Thai Embassy there.

Edited by OJAS

I assume you are asking about applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement which is not a visa.

There have been no rule changes.

As far Amnat's requirements I cannot help much. If I recall correctly they are one of the rogue offices that wants a medical certificate.

They may also want proof of residence and a TM30 form completed by your landlord.

I posted the OP mainly because of a conversation I heard at the next desk when I was in the A.C. Immigration office a couple of weeks back. A foreigner was there trying to extend his visa (marriage or retirement, I am not sure which) a few days before its actual expiry date. In fact, the day he was sitting there was only three days before his expiry date. From what I could overhear, the staff were refusing to process his application, and were telling him to come back on the actual expiry date.

He got up and left, I was still busy with the Immigration Officer who was serving me, so I was unable to follow him out and ask him if I had overheard correctly.

I posted the OP mainly because of a conversation I heard at the next desk when I was in the A.C. Immigration office a couple of weeks back. A foreigner was there trying to extend his visa (marriage or retirement, I am not sure which) a few days before its actual expiry date. In fact, the day he was sitting there was only three days before his expiry date. From what I could overhear, the staff were refusing to process his application, and were telling him to come back on the actual expiry date.

He got up and left, I was still busy with the Immigration Officer who was serving me, so I was unable to follow him out and ask him if I had overheard correctly.

Suspect that you probably misheard him. It is normally possible to apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or retirement up to 30 days before your existing permission to stay expires.

Yes, I applied a couple of weeks early at Amnat Charoen last May. I am just trying to clarify if there has been any change in procedure since then. I live a long way from there, so it is a major nuisance to go there just to ask.

What do I need to get an extension of my retirement visa (paperwork) ?

It depends a bit on your office:

Normally it is:

- passport and copy

- departure card and copy

- pass photo

- form tm7

- income letter from embassy and or bankbook plus bank letter if you go for the money in the bank option or combo

- proof of address, Jomtiem for instance will also want a copy of rental contract and ID-card and household registration of landlord

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Embassy Letter - Can we use last year's - or must we have new one ?

Combo - (Pension + Bank Deposit) - must money be in Bank for any period of time ?

1.Embassy Letter ---New letter required every year !

2. Combo - (Pension + Bank Deposit) - must money be in Bank for any period of time ? .............. No. Unless the immigration office you use applies a local requirement

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Embassy Letter - Can we use last year's - or must we have new one ?

Combo - (Pension + Bank Deposit) - must money be in Bank for any period of time ?

1.Embassy Letter ---New letter required every year !

2. Combo - (Pension + Bank Deposit) - must money be in Bank for any period of time ? .............. No. Unless the immigration office you use applies a local requirement

1. Embassy Letter - officially only valid for up to 6 months from the date of issue (and unofficially for considerably shorter periods at certain offices according to reports on here).

2. Combo - (Pension + Bank Deposit) - any unofficial local seasoning requirement would normally equate to the official bank balance seasoning requirement where this is the sole method of proving finances.

Edited by OJAS

• 2 months later...

I have been dealing with the Amnat Charoen immigration office for the last few years for Retirement Extensions and I call it a "visa" also.

I know Jomtien does not require a medical - Amnat does and it cost 50 baht at the hospital, hardly "rogue"???

In February I got another extension and the officers were helpful, friendly and fast - I have had some negative experiences elsewhere.

You can get your retirement extension and multiple entry at the same time, other offices need 2 days or a "kick back".

We did bring in the book for the house also and they allowed 30 days prior to expiry, a decent bunch to deal with.

What do I need to get an extension of my retirement visa (paperwork) ?

It depends a bit on your office:

Normally it is:

- passport and copy

- departure card and copy

- pass photo

- form tm7

- income letter from embassy and or bankbook plus bank letter if you go for the money in the bank option or combo

- proof of address, Jomtiem for instance will also want a copy of rental contract and ID-card and household registration of landlord

Regarding the bank book option and letter from the bank, what does the bank need to state in this letter?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Most bank have template for the letter or will at least be aware of what is needed.

Basically it needs to be addressed to the immigration office. have you name, passport number and state that account number XXXX has the XXXX amount of baht in it on the date written.

I know Jomtien does not require a medical - Amnat does and it cost 50 baht at the hospital, hardly "rogue"???

Any office that ask for more than the requirements called out in the written rules is rogue.

A medical certificate is not listed in the police order as a requirement.

• Like 2

Any office that ask for more than the requirements called out in the written rules is rogue.

A medical certificate is not listed in the police order as a requirement.

I don't disagree with your comment Joe but there is little consistency in general here in Thailand. If they were charging me extra fees I would be more concerned.

There is little consistency in police fines, banking regulations, MV license rules, etc. - it's part of living in Thailand and never boring.

Cheers