Warm swimming pool.

anotheruser

OK, sure, they don't cool the water - but they sure do mitigate the sun heating it up tongue.png

add "partly" in context with mitigate and i might agree whistling.gif

You had me going - for a moment there I thought my understanding of the word "mitigate" was incorrect, but phew, it's yours that's not tongue.png

verb (used with object), mitigated, mitigating.

to lessen in force or intensity, as wrath, grief, harshness, or pain;moderate.
to make less severe:

Adding 'partly' seems superfluous tongue.png

OK, sure, they don't cool the water - but they sure do mitigate the sun heating it up tongue.png

add "partly" in context with mitigate and i might agree whistling.gif

You had me going - for a moment there I thought my understanding of the word "mitigate" was incorrect, but phew, it's yours that's not tongue.png

verb (used with object), mitigated, mitigating.

to lessen in force or intensity, as wrath, grief, harshness, or pain;moderate.
to make less severe:

Adding 'partly' seems superfluous tongue.png

that is a matter of perception because the plaintiff who desires a cooler pool might not be totally but only "partly" or perhaps not happy at all with a "less severe" scalding hot pool water.

therefore the sentence is "objection overruled, case closed, witnesses may leave, plaintiff next case!" crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I already have planted many trees and expect in the next few years that shade will be sufficiently established. The problem how ever is that it is a public swimming pool and people like to sunbathe. So I am looking maybe for something like a Glacier pool cooler or some other method of cooling the pool down. I see many resorts that have pools in full sun so there must be a solution for this short of fully shading the pool.

the Glacier system won't be very efficient in Thailand because of the high ambient temperatures even when the chiller is running at night. using a freon heat pump you will pay for electricity through your nose if you want to experience a noticeable temperature reduction.

for a correct load calculation you'd have to post your desired temperature in ºC or ºF and the existing temperature which you feel is too warm.

35 years ago i designed a system for a Saudi friend who's pool went up to 38ºC in the summer months using a big block aircon chiller (192,000 btu/h) and a huge titanium heat exchanger. getting the pool water in the hottest months down to 32ºC required a 24/7 run time drawing 26kWh. in Thai electricity price that would equal ~95,000 Baht per month.

Interesting info Naam. I pay attention when you post on pools because you seem to know your stuff. I have had the pool a year now and after observing temperatures and how guests use it I have concluded my best course of action is to do nothing at all. People actually don't mind the novelty of bath warm pool water when they are on vacation in the tropics. Out of whatever complaints I have had in my first season none of them involved the temperature of the pool.

The hottest part of the season there aren't too many guests here anyway so I have decided to put my energy into other things to improve my place more than trying to solve this issue would. Getting some air con rooms for example would be a better use of my time. In a couple of years the trees will have grown up and there will be more shade and that will help. Luckily things grow so quickly in this area.

Thanks for all of the ideas guys i appreciate them.

i completely forgot to mention an alternative which, in your case, might kill two birds with one stone. as already mentioned, my pool is an indoor pool which requires daily heating especially november till march. initially i used the "free heat" of a 48,000 btu/h aircon unit heating the pool and cooling the pool area (our alternate living room). but it turned out that during the "cool" season the cooling capacity was too high and the heating capacity too low... not to talk about electricity cost.

because solar panels, available in many countries but not in Thailand, i imported my own panels after a couple of years. in case your pool requires heating in "winter" this would be an ideal solution because you could run your pump at night in the hot season to cool the pool. the solar panels are nothing but heat exchangers but of course their heating capacity is a multiple of the cooling capacity when used as described above.

my setup looks like this:

post-35218-0-95334000-1446946338_thumb.j

post-35218-0-21643100-1446946391_thumb.j

• 2 months later...