Is the Game closing?

tyznd

Wanted to see if the Game in Chiang Mai had updated their website and instead found they didn't renew their domain name at Go Daddy which just expired on 21 April. Since it is such a minor cost in relation to what they must have paid to develop their website the only explanation I can come up with is they do not plan to be in business much longer.

Anyone have any more information on this? Just started going there and was getting used to stopping in for a beer now and then.

It's very difficult to get accurate information on the doings of our shady characters now.

Thailand's most reliable investigative reporter - I don't dare name him - has had his website blocked.

If you want information, I would suggest that you keep dropping in and see what you can find out.

• Like 1

It's very difficult to get accurate information on the doings of our shady characters now.

Thailand's most reliable investigative reporter - I don't dare name him - has had his website blocked.

If you want information, I would suggest that you keep dropping in and see what you can find out.

Yes sir.. Andrew Drummond got his pi pi slaped but the stick is still out there.whistling.gif

Facebook still up with last update April 19 and a post advertising for help on the 15th. https://www.facebook.com/thegamechiangmai

Having a listing on Facebook is simple and doesn't cost anything so even if they are closing no need to do anything with Facebook.

However, If you had a professionally done website, which the Game in Chiang Mai did and plan to stay in business you're definitely going to keep your website site up for the $15 or so annual fee it costs to keep your domain name. Not renewing the domain name to me can only mean they will be soon shutting down. The only other explanation I can come up with is someone really dropped the ball and let the renewal slip and if that's the case, they need to get it done ASAP.

the URL might have been in the name of someone who isn't around anymore, or the email sent to an address no one checks, plenty of reasons why sometimes URL's lapse.

What? If you have an ecommerce website with a viable business, that business is going to make sure the domain name gets renewed.

I have no idea what you mean by an email might have been sent to an address no one checks. That makes no sense either. And no there are not plenty of reasons why a domain name would lapse, especially if it is tied to a business unless the business is shutting down or already gone.

Guess I will stop by and see if anyone on the premises has anything to say about this. That's if they are still open when I get there.

the URL might have been in the name of someone who isn't around anymore, or the email sent to an address no one checks, plenty of reasons why sometimes URL's lapse.

What? If you have an ecommerce website with a viable business, that business is going to make sure the domain name gets renewed.

I have no idea what you mean by an email might have been sent to an address no one checks. That makes no sense either. And no there are not plenty of reasons why a domain name would lapse, especially if it is tied to a business unless the business is shutting down or already gone.

How about when the website is run by one of the owners/investors, but then that person dies and he's the one owning the domain name and has the passwords.

Hope that's good enough a reason.

If you're interested in updates, specials etc, then use their Facebook page which apparently is run by the same people who also run the restaurant itself.

Or... Wait: "Just started going there and was getting used to stopping in for a beer now and then."

So: bring it up sometime when you're there, now and then. Works even better than Facebook, or a bunch of dudes in Thaivisa with nothing better to do than speculate on trivial stuff they know nothing about.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Guess I will stop by and see if anyone on the premises has anything to say about this. That's if they are still open when I get there.

It's not an ecommerce website. It's a website for a business.

I thought the owner died, maybe nobody had his password for his email or URL management?

You purchase URL's for a period of time, like say a year, and then when they are to run out they normally automatically bill the same credit card for the renewal. If the guy is dead then that would have likely been declined because they don't tend to keep dead peoples credit cards active.

I used to be involved with a company whose focus was providing internet circuits, domain name services, web site hosting / development, etc... It was almost a daily occurrence that someone or some company would allow their domain name registration to expire... It's one of those things that doesn't usually wind up on someone's task list to monitor and they only expire on an annual or bi-annual basis... In other words, it's fairly common, even for the biggest companies...