Visa Needed For Cambodia?

seancar29

Hello all, I was hoping that you might be able to help me. My wife is Thai and we are planning a family holiday to Thailand for next year.

We were hoping that after we had visited family in Buriram that we could pop into Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat. Would this be possible for my wife with her Thai passport.

I appreciate any answers you might be able to give me.

Sean.

No visa needed for her, I believe. It's an ASEAN country.

You'll need a visa, but you can get it at the airport upon arrivals. Not sure of the process by land, but if it's the same as airport you will need a couple of passport photos and $20.

Hello all, I was hoping that you might be able to help me. My wife is Thai and we are planning a family holiday to Thailand for next year.

We were hoping that after we had visited family in Buriram that we could pop into Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat. Would this be possible for my wife with her Thai passport.

I appreciate any answers you might be able to give me.

Sean.

Sure no problem, she will get a 30 days on arrival visa for 1000 baht.

There are only 4 countries that don't need a visa:

Laos, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines.

I have taken my Thai wife to Cambodia for a visit and although you can purchase this on arrival at the border no problem it is a little easier if you can arrange it beforehand either through a travel agent or from the Cambodian embassy ... I paid 800Baht for the visa with a travel agent near Khaosan road and it took 3 days to process but they will process it in 1 day for 1000Baht.

I have taken my Thai wife to Cambodia for a visit and although you can purchase this on arrival at the border no problem it is a little easier if you can arrange it beforehand either through a travel agent or from the Cambodian embassy ... I paid 800Baht for the visa with a travel agent near Khaosan road and it took 3 days to process but they will process it in 1 day for 1000Baht.

This was 2 years ago so prices may have changed ......

For sure the Thai's can pass the border without paying but they need to take the passport.

sjack327 is partly correct.

The citizen of Singapore,Malaysia,Philipines and Laos are exempted from the cambodia visa , but they are charged usually THB 200.- service fee .

Do not ask why , but thats the rule in PoiPet as most of these citizen go to the border to extend/renew the visa.

I repeat Thai are free to cross.

For sure the Thai's can pass the border without paying but they need to take the passport.

sjack327 is partly correct.

The citizen of Singapore,Malaysia,Philipines and Laos are exempted from the cambodia visa , but they are charged usually THB 200.- service fee .

Do not ask why , but thats the rule in PoiPet as most of these citizen go to the border to extend/renew the visa.

I repeat Thai are free to cross.

Okay so thais don't need a visa then, good to know. Regarding the service fee, a friend of mine from Laos crossed the border last saturday and had to pay a "stamp fee" of 100 baht. He used a visa run company who starts at on Nut, only paid them 800 baht for the dinner and bus (normally 1800 baht), but of course he didn't need a 1000 baht visa.

Strangely it doesn't work in reverse though .... Cambodians DO need a Visa for Thailand

It's strange, this is from several cambo embassy regarding visa excemption:

Nationals of Brunei who hold Diplomatic and Service passport may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for no more than 14 days.

Nationals of the Lao-PDR and Malaysia who hold Diplomatic and Service or regular passport may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for no more than 30 days.

Nationals of Myanmar and Vietnam who hold Diplomatic and Service passports may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for no more than 30 days.

Nationals of Singapore who hold Diplomatic Service and Normal passports may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for no more than 30 days.

Nationals of Thailand who hold Diplomatic and Service passports may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for no more than 30 days.

Nationals of The Philippines who hold Diplomatic and Service passports may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for no more than 30 days. Those who hold Normal passports may stay for no more than 21 days.

Nationals of India who hold Diplomatic and Service passports may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for no more than 60 days.

Nationals of Bulgaria and Hungary who hold Diplomatic and Service passports may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for no more than 90 days.

Nationals of Cuba and Slovakia who hold Diplomatic and Service passports may travel to Cambodia without visa and may stay for duration of their mission.

Judging from this, only Laos, Singapore and Malaysia (regular passports) can stay 30 days, Nationals of the Philippines can stay 21 days.

All the other excemptions are for Diplomatic or service passports.

If the above is correct, I would say a Thai national, travelling on a normal passport would need a visa.

Source:

http://www.cambodianembassy.jp/views.php?k...&language=1

and also found it at:

http://www.embassyofcambodia.org.nz/visaexemptions.htm

I thought that Thais needed a Visa for more than a day pass ... but since i am NOT sure about that .. I am keeping silent ...

I DO know that Cambodians need a visa for Thailand (according to a rather officious prig at the Thai Embassy in Cambodia that gave me crap when processing my Non-Imm-ED visa <sponsored by Chula no less!!--- with the appropriate letters from the DoE etc!---- he said THIS Embassy/consular section is NOT for westerners it instead processes 400+ visas/day for Cambodians since they hae to have a visa for Thailand>

If I were the OP ... I'd ask a Thai travel agent or contact the Cambodian Embassy