Taxi van drivers assure no stoppage of services at Suvarnabhumi airport

Lite Beer

Thailand needs to go to Japan and learn how to operate an excellent bus service between airport and hotels. Get some the 100,000 taxis off the streets and roads.

They may also want to learn how to operate a train service between airport and town.

They also know how to opoerate a bus service between airports !!

I have not been to Japan since 1987. At that time, it was $50 US per person for bus from airport to hotel. How much today, 28 years later? I do hope Thailand does not study the Japanese system. Not many here could afford it, and the Thai government is fully aware of that. Thankfully.

New Zealand run Taxis and Super Shuttle vans for bigger groups.

As for Thai Taxis, if people buy/run vans, of which have 7 plus seats, then anyone would expect that they will take more people [simple sense], so sureley it is a matter of a higher charge[or individual charge] for any surplus number of passengers or more than one drop-off made.

On an individual note, I am not impressed by many Thai Taxi drivers due to their poor attitude, fast/disrespectful driving and pure arrogance, though was pleasantly surprised by my last taxi driver to Suvarnabhumi International Airport who showed true professionalism and definetly got a tip.

number 1. how many people arrive at the airport with absolutely no luggage. -- 100% ??

number 2. if they did not have bloody huge LPG tanks in the boots then, customers would be able to fit their suitcases in.

I don't know how it works in other countries but in the UK a taxi is licensed by the local council (Hackney Carriage License) and this isa displayed as a smaiolish plate on the taxi. On this plate it tells how many passengers the vehicle can carry - usually it's four. If there is a need for more then you ask for it by telling them when you book (only a few cities in the UK allow taxis to pick up kerbside passengers, the norm is to call and book) and the company send a suitably sized and licensed vehicle. It's not rocket science. Taxis will not (I can't say "never" because I've not been in every taxi) accept more passengers than they are licensed to take because if caught they will get prosecuted and will lose their license.

BTW "passengers at a disadvantageous position because the additional passengers would not be covered by insurance policy." So how do they know which is the "additional" passengers and whioch are the legitimate one?

post-170572-0-28064200-1429943619_thumb. post-170572-0-51743900-1429943620_thumb.

But isn't that the same as any other countrythumbsup.gif - seatbelts equal the number of insured passengers (generally 2/3 in the rear and then front passenger and driver). We want them to be insured clap2.gif and complaints have been previously that they are not being professional whistling.gif - we can't really have our cake and eat it.coffee1.gif Charging for bags is perhaps a little out-of-order though.w00t.gif

I can't see how a normal size taxi with LPG cylinder taking up half the boot space, can possibly fit in luggage for 4 overseas passengers.

When the driver assists me with some of the heavier items, I always give him a bit extra.

I know many of these guys are vultures, but if they use their meters, a bit extra for loading up luggage seems only fair.

Why?

It's as much a part of their job as driving and using a meter.

All they are doing is trying to find little scams to extort more money for doing nothing extra.

If they don't like what the job entails then they should choose another career.

I always have and always will give a tip to a taxi driver who is helpful, and agree with masuk in that respect. In the UK some of the cab/taxi drivers won't even get out of their seat to help you with shopping or luggage etc, so I don't think that doing so is in their "contract of employment". However, if they don't help, they are not going to get much in the way of tips! I don't think that helping with the luggage is " trying to find little scams to extort more money for doing nothing extra".and I am sure that most of them realise that if they help with the luggage, they are more likely to get a tip than if they don't. It is on a par with the guy in the hotel who takes your bags to the room, and shows you how the fridge and how the a/c works - if he just dumped your bags outside your room you would be less likely to tip him.

Has anybody ever heard of a passenger getting an insurance claim out of a Bangkok taxi?

I have been in a taxi accident where we got T-boned by an old Hi-So lady in a black Suv.

Sitting on the kerb with a banged up knee watching the Thais scream bloody murder at each other all I could make out was "farang, farang farang". Fearing a fleecing I decided to hobble way before the police showed up.

So if a family with 3 kids arrives they intend to split them up!

Now you gotta get 2 taxis to both use their meters.

Better to pay for 2 cabs than to let someone be uninsured... SO YES !!

I'd love them to stop a random sample of 100 taxis and see how many of them have the right paperwork.

• Like 1

I can't see how a normal size taxi with LPG cylinder taking up half the boot space, can possibly fit in luggage for 4 overseas passengers.

When the driver assists me with some of the heavier items, I always give him a bit extra.

I know many of these guys are vultures, but if they use their meters, a bit extra for loading up luggage seems only fair.

Why?

All they are doing is trying to find little scams to extort more money for doing nothing extra.

I always have and always will give a tip to a taxi driver who is helpful, and agree with masuk in that respect. In the UK some of the cab/taxi drivers won't even get out of their seat to help you with shopping or luggage etc, so I don't think that doing so is in their "contract of employment". However, if they don't help, they are not going to get much in the way of tips! I don't think that helping with the luggage is " trying to find little scams to extort more money for doing nothing extra".and I am sure that most of them realise that if they help with the luggage, they are more likely to get a tip than if they don't. It is on a par with the guy in the hotel who takes your bags to the room, and shows you how the fridge and how the a/c works - if he just dumped your bags outside your room you would be less likely to tip him.

The scam is their desire to charge per bag.

As for hotels, I always carry my own bags and don't tip for a tour of the room, explaining stuff I already know.

Edited by Bluespunk

Why?

As for hotels, I always carry my own bags and don't tip for a tour of the room, explaining stuff I already know.

What is 50-60 baht except the obvious.

I find providing small tips can make my stay far more enjoyable and helps people that often do a fine job who are on some of the lowest wages.

Why?

What is 50-60 baht except the obvious.

I find providing small tips can make my stay far more enjoyable and helps people that often do a fine job who are on some of the lowest wages.

The scheme they want to charge for each bag is not tipping. It's a scam.

So Mum Dad and three children will have to take two taxis, I think someone in authority needs to have an urgent word with the insurers, and in the meantime re introduce the airport bus so families can travel together

its not the best way to start a holiday is it?

We have had to do this several time, easy answer it to arrange a proposer mini bus collection from the airport (no big issue)