Thailand agrees closer military ties with China during visit by top Beijing official

Lite Beer

The article provides no evidence that Thailand agreed to any of this. Only that the Chinese guy said so.

I'm guessing the Junta is playing a little game here.

No!! the Yanks were playing a big game (their guns and tanks will have made in China on them in the future) and they just lost!!

I hope that other nations (especially Asian ones) take note of this and reconsider/re-evaluate the extent of their allegiance to this egotistical country that thinks they own the world and everything in it.

If someone childishly takes their ball away then don't sulk, but go and find someone with a better ball that is prepared to play with you.

Well done Prayuth for putting them in their place by ignoring their pathetic threats and doing something positive about it!!

Nonsense.

The US has criticized the Thai Junta, just like UK, the EU, and others. The US has slightly scaled back military cooperation. No "threats" are involved. Just the usual signalling.

At the same time, the US has been strongly pivoting toward stronger alliances with countries that oppose Chinese expansion in the South China Sea. Thailand doesn't factor into that scenario.

Will the Junta actually come to any agreements with China? At this point, it is impossible to say. There is no rail deal. There is no military deal. In my opinion, these deals wont come to fruition. Quiet diplomacy will win out.

The article provides no evidence that Thailand agreed to any of this. Only that the Chinese guy said so.

No!! the Yanks were playing a big game (their guns and tanks will have made in China on them in the future) and they just lost!!

I hope that other nations (especially Asian ones) take note of this and reconsider/re-evaluate the extent of their allegiance to this egotistical country that thinks they own the world and everything in it.

If someone childishly takes their ball away then don't sulk, but go and find someone with a better ball that is prepared to play with you.

Well done Prayuth for putting them in their place by ignoring their pathetic threats and doing something positive about it!!

Nonsense.

The US has criticized the Thai Junta, just like UK, the EU, and others. The US has slightly scaled back military cooperation. No "threats" are involved. Just the usual signalling.

At the same time, the US has been strongly pivoting toward stronger alliances with countries that oppose Chinese expansion in the South China Sea. Thailand doesn't factor into that scenario.

Will the Junta actually come to any agreements with China? At this point, it is impossible to say. There is no rail deal. There is no military deal. In my opinion, these deals wont come to fruition. Quiet diplomacy will win out.

Rather defeatist to headline your own post with the word nonsense - why did you bother to write nonsense when you actually knew it was so!!!

Nonsense.

Alienating your friends and driving them towards forming alliances with your enemy because they refuse to be subservient and bow to their demands does not seem a very sensible strategy to me!!

• Like 1

No!! the Yanks were playing a big game (their guns and tanks will have made in China on them....

Nonsense.

The US has criticized...

Rather defeatist to headline your own post with the word nonsense - why did you bother to write nonsense when you actually knew it was so!!!

It's too bad you can't even defend your own point of view.

Lucky11 - Alienating your friends and driving them towards forming alliances with your enemy because they refuse to be subservient and bow to their demands does not seem a very sensible strategy to me!!

Quite right. If only that were happening.

There are no new alliances with China. There are some meetings and smiling statements for the cameras.

Nobody is driving the Thais toward the Chinese.

Instead, this is clearly the Chinese finding a little opening and trying to take advantage. That is why the Chinese representative was so outspoken and the Thais were SILENT.

I doubt very much the US could give a flying fig about Thailand cozying up with China.

They, Thailand and the rest of the world know, for all of America's issues, the Thai's would jump back in bed with the US in a heart beat over China, Russia or anyone else.

Thailand can flutter their eyes and try playing games as much as they want, but they are not fooling anyone and i expect the US could not give a hoot.

• Like 2

Oh, oh... bad move! Does our beloved "leader" really want the US of A to bomb this country to bits in order to "liberate" its people, or what? I truly am NOT a Yank lover, but still prefer uncle Sam sitting at my porch over sharing my bed with the communists. This could end bad, real bad...

My prediction is that a certain person here in Thailand (who thinks he stands above all, is untouchable and who obviously is blinded by his sudden rise to power and influence) will forcefully be removed soon. Then, all hell will break loose. May god have mercy on our (the expats') souls sad.png

I doubt very much the US could give a flying fig about Thailand cozying up with China.

They, Thailand and the rest of the world know, for all of America's issues, the Thai's would jump back in bed with the US in a heart beat over China, Russia or anyone else.

Thailand can flutter their eyes and try playing games as much as they want, but they are not fooling anyone and i expect the US could not give a hoot.

So Thailand is like a giant bar girl, always quick to switch partners in the

hunt for money and power.... :-) Looking at its history, probably a fair

assessment.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Rest assured, they do! Thailand is and always was a strategically important stronghold against communism. Plus it is a strategic necessity for the US marine and army. You truly think they will sit back and watch Thailand being pulled from under their feet? You must be kidding me! By getting cuddly with the Communists, our Fuhrer basically signed his own death warrant.

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

Nonsense.

Alienating your friends and driving them towards forming alliances with your enemy because they refuse to be subservient and bow to their demands does not seem a very sensible strategy to me!!

But Prayuth's strategies are ver sensible then, aye? What kind of drugs you on?

Not mean and nasty, but unreasonable and uncalled for considering the special circumstances in Thailand. The veiled threats (which fell on death ears) reminded me as to what a spoilt child acts like when it doesn't get its way!!

They didn't ask, they sent clear signals that 'if Thailand didn't restore democracy in the time frame they demanded then there would be consequences' ie: our children will not be allowed out to play with your children with their 'man' toys.

I think that Prayuth with his formidable friend article 44 is sorting Thailand out single handedly.

How is Obama getting on with his foe Bohner in sorting the US's ills out? Obama say's this and Bohner say's "oh no you don't" Nothing happens, clearly not democracy working to its full potential!! or is it?

Edited by lucky11

This is when China has imposed its own Flight defense zone in the South china Sea to back up its ridiculous Territorial waters claim in the same area . Thailand will not be popular with many ASEAN members if it carries on playing up to China

LoS doesn't have the international diplomatic chess experience to handle this sort of thing and probably thinks they are pulling the wool over everyone else's eyes.

While I take your point, it appears to me historically that the case can be made that this is exactly the game played by Thailand. Keeping the powers off balance was able to keep Thailand out of the direct colonial era mix. Today's mix pears to be quite different to me. Greater closeness with China will have to take in account ASEAN issues with China, as pointed out. Additionally, I would hope that the U.S. would recognize that it will need to be more guarded in sharing equipment and thinking with Thailand as it would have a greater chance of ending up more quickly in China. Cobra Gold might need the serious reconsideration it is now undergoing. Perhaps Thailand will be able to attract China's taking over the protective umbrella. It certainly seems to be a political culture which has many of the same social considerations we are witnessing.

Edited by wwest5829

I think that Prayuth with his formidable friend article 44 is sorting Thailand out single handedly.

How is Obama getting on with his foe Bohner in sorting the US's ills out? Obama say's this and Bohner say's "oh no you don't" Nothing happens, clearly not democracy working to its full potential!! or is it?

It appears to me, historically, that absolute rule is always most efficient....in the short run. Democracy has many shortcomings but it appears that it is preferable for consideration of the many needs of the people over the absolute rule. Without question, there is much dysfunction currently tearing at the very fabric of American society. But much is not limited to the U.S. the wealth gap is expanding worldwide. Damn the poor, and the working class, they just will not remain quietly being abused.

If you want to see threats, just wait until the US places a trade embargo on Thai products and products made with Thai parts. The US government crashed the Russian economy in six months. If so inclinced, they can crash the Thai economy in six hours.

• Like 1

"Thailand agrees closer military ties with China during visit by top Beijing official"

No it is not Thailand... it is the illegal milirary junta under martial law.... They speak for themselves. not for Thailand.. when will Thailand get a real government under democratic rules...

Another success for American diplomacy ! whistling.gif

While Thailand needs to be on good terms with all its neighbours, it needs equally to retain its traditional balance, in order to play one powerful-country/empire off against another, and there is a risk of leaning too far in any one direction.

That is exactly why they are doing this -unlike the US vassal state the Philippines.

You mean Philippines - the country which in a territorial dispute with China? Who other would they turn to, Bolivia??

Not mean and nasty, but unreasonable and uncalled for considering the special circumstances in Thailand. The veiled threats (which fell on death ears) reminded me as to what a spoilt child acts like when it doesn't get its way!!

They didn't ask, they sent clear signals that 'if Thailand didn't restore democracy in the time frame they demanded then there would be consequences' ie: our children will not be allowed out to play with your children with their 'man' toys.

The pesky and childish Americans (and the EU) and their unreasonable and uncalled for demands! Evil, the lot of them!!

Looks like Thailand is re-aligning itself with China & Russia which is good news - the further away from the Elite Psychopaths that really run the West the better in my book.

Pray tell, how would you describe the rulers of Russia and China?

PS. If you were being ironic/facetious I apologize. If you were being serious then I suggest you get back on your meds immediately.

• Like 1

Yes, Thailand needs China and China needs Thailand. Why does China need Thailand ? I think it's because Thailand is right in the middle of ASEAN. There's other ASEAN countries who don't actually like China that much, places like Vietnam and the Philipines. And if China is right in with Thailand, well, that's usefull to China.

Can you imagine a Chinese military base in Thailand ? So a whole load of Chinese military are being 'transported' to Thailand. China might do this, deliberately to make Vietnam and the Philipines feel 'uneasy'. Thailand gives China the excuse or reason it needs to send it's military pass places like Vietnam and the Philipines ! :)

Did I miss something last week? Is somebody threatening Thailand? Why do they need more protection or war weapons than they already have?

There's nothing in the OP about needing more war weapons, only a wishfull thinking

"two countries should also jointly develop their defence industries"

As for protection, well that probably relates to the imminent aggression by America, Europe and the UN to force the return of Thai style democracy and elections on the Thai rolleyes.gif

It appears the supping spoon is getting shorter.

Do not think there is a long enough spoon made to be

able to sup safely with China. Perhaps the military

" leadership" should take a look at what is happening

in Laos, or better yet a fact finding mission in Tibet....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Only real problem is the cadets who are trained in the USA will most likely be sent to officer schools in China. The reality is once that happens their officer corp in the future will align with China.

I do see some inconsistencies with so Obama's approach to Thailand when you consider other dictatorships like Egypt that are given a pass. I think the explanation turns on the fact Thailand just isn't important strategically as they were historically which explains why places like Egypt get a pass.

A lot of you give dear leader more intellectual credit than he posses. Watching his show every Friday is like watching comedy. You can't watch him and reasonably think he is putting Thailand's interest before his?