Registering bike with aftermarket pipe

recom273

Im currently in the process of transferring the title on a second hand bike, I have transferred the title of a new bike my wife bought for me in the past and it was very easy.

Yet, as this one was purchased from outside the province, I have to go to the provincial office and process the paperwork. After I obtained the necessary paperwork from immigration I applied to the DLT, my paperwork was dealt with, I payed my 30B stamp fee and another 25B fee at another counter, then the green book was returned to me and told to appear in 10 days time with the bike. I don't understand the delay, but whatever.

It seems this office is more thorough than before. I am expecting, by the way counter staff were talking that the VIN and frame number will be checked by the engineer.

Should I expect any problems with the aftermarket Yoshimura exhaust ? The bike is a Versys 650 and its pretty loud. Could the engineer knock back the bike, expect some tea money or request I replace the original pipe ( for 10 mins ) .. Anyone ?

Edited by recom273

They won't even ask you to start up the bike from my experience with the same situation in Bangkok. They will just inspect the serial numbers on the frame and engine and off you go. Don't waste your time changing the pipe back to the original unless for some reason it doesn't pass inspection. A little Red Bull greasery money might help too, but I would be surprised if it even comes to that.

I know a local kawasaki mechanic whose obviously familiar with the DLT office and I swung past his place tonight.

He sucked some air through his teeth and said if the yoshi pipe had silencers then no problem, but a the twin port slip-on with no dB killers, probably not.

The locals Kawasaki boys usually swap the pipes he's even has a stock pipe sitting around for the purpose, he probably won't charge me so better than a wasted 50km round trip.

If you have a good easy solution it never hurts to play things cautiously. But just so you know, I have a CBR250R with a very loud Two Brothers black series carbon pipe on it. It's louder even than the aftermarket pipe on my CBR650F. The guy obviously saw the pipe but didn't even ask me to turn over the bike. Seems his job was only to check serial numbers. So imagine all this fussing could be a waste of time and he might not even ask you to crank it over. But you have to decide what's best for you. If you prefer to minimize risk of having to go back there again then change the pipe. But it's still two trips to the shop to change the pipe back and forth. And who knows if something will get damaged from multiple pipe swaps. Everything has its risks.

Edited by WingNut

If you have a good easy solution it never hurts to play things cautiously. But just so you know, I have a CBR250R with a very loud Two Brothers black series carbon pipe on it. It's louder even than the aftermarket pipe on my CBR650F. The guy obviously saw the pipe but didn't even ask me to turn over the bike. Seems his job was only to check serial numbers. So imagine all this fussing could be a waste of time and he might not even ask you to crank it over. But you have to decide what's best for you. If you prefer to minimize risk of having to go back there again then change the pipe. But it's still two trips to the shop to change the pipe back and forth. And who knows if something will get damaged from multiple pipe swaps. Everything has its risks.

Yeah - thanks for giving me your hands on experience - I really appreciate it.

I would normally be blasé and just rock up there without worrying, maybe still do. Like you say it's not his job, his job is to check if it's stolen or chopped.

I will run it past my guy again - he's only down the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok good luck with it. I'll be interested to know how it goes. Best wishes.

I returned for the third to DLT and yes, just the same as renewing the tax, puts a piece of tape in the frame number and rubs it with his pencil.

Checks the VIN - and sent me on my way. Didn't even start the bike.

Many people have checked and stapled my paperwork in the last 2 visits, yet another woman starts checking my visa and certificate of residence.

Then she turns to her colleague and asks what month May is ? The system strikes again, waste time to check something you cannot read.

The inspection guy was the last of my worries, he wanted to know the usual Thai questions, how fast it went and how much it was ?

Good, glad to hear, except for the typical inefficiencies it was basically a non event. I hope you didn't waste time and money making any pipe swaps before going?

Yes, I remember now too they took an impression of my VIN as well.

Good, glad to hear, except for the typical inefficiencies it was basically a non event. I hope you didn't waste time and money making any pipe swaps before going?

Yes, I remember now too they took an impression of my VIN as well.

No I didn't change the pipe - I know the system too well.

These guys aren't the problem, they are more than happy to shoot the xxxx I was surprised they didn't want to know the price of the pipe and listen to the noise.