Beef intolerance

Foexie

Hi everybody,

in Thailand peoples have 3 reasons for not eating beef:

- it smells bad

- for their religion

- intolerance for beef.

For me, and i guess many of us, the smell is "normal" and it Always makes me laugh when i see and smell what they eat sometimes. To name just one thing : pla rah laugh.png .

But now my real issue ...

I just wonder how comes that some Thai, like my gf, get sick from eating beef.

Is it an Asia thing? Or Thai only?

Any of you have experience with his/her partner eating veal meat? Same reaction or is this young meat better digestible for them?

And can you buy veal in Thailand? I looked before in Lotus en Big C but never found it.

Regards,

Foexie

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm definitely intolerant of the local beef from the fresh market. I can not stand it! It's poorly butchered from slaughter, through dressing, to sale.

Also, it's far too lean.

But that's a taste intolerance, not a bodily one.

Agree with above post regarding psychosomatic.

First time I've heard of the smell being unpleasant. I'm used to hearing that lamb has an unpleasant smell to Thais, and I can actually understand that even though I myself love lamb. It does have that lanolin odour...we are just used to it.

Another thing to consider regarding Thais excuses for not eating beef.....Thai politeness. Instead of saying, "I think that beef may have come from a Muslim (or insert other name or adjective) butcher", they say they are intolerant, or it smells bad.

My Ex was the same.....Then after awhile and her seeing me grill hi end beef over charcoal and listening to everybody rave about it she came around. We had some Wagyu rib eyes once 1 3/4 inch thick. Grilled med and she said that it was o e of the best meals of her life......Same with Sushi, Thinking back on it now I should have just let her continue with the stinkfish and fermented mudcrab and fly blown dried pork.........would have saved a small fortune.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello,

The Vietnamese, Lao and Indonesian people eat beef and so do the Thai

Muslims, as far as I know.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the topic, but a sister of my Thai

friend's said that she didn't like beef because she didn't like the hair when

she cut the meat.

Am sure I read somewhere that most of the beef in Thailand & Philippines comes from buffalo (& surprisingly a lot comes from Indian) rather than cows that were more used to in UK/Aus etc...

Either way most of the time it's like chewing shoe leather unless you opt for the higher quality stuff like Wagyu (even Angus is a serious step up).

Edited by JB300

Am sure I read somewhere that most of the beef in Thailand & Philippines comes from buffalo (& surprisingly a lot comes from Indian) rather than cows that were more used to in UK/Aus etc...

Either way most of the time it's like chewing shoe leather unless you opt for the higher quality stuff like Wagyu (even Angus is a serious step up).

I wouldn't think many Thais like buffalo meat or carabeef. This might

be why they call an idiot Buffalo or ควาย (kwaai). I don't know.

About a month ago I went up to BKK to have Angus beef. It was just

unbelievable.

hmmm...does a masaman curry traditionally call for pork or beef? I'm sure that I've seen a few recipes that call for beef...

today at lotac all they had on offer in the meat section was chicken and fish and I'm determined to do a masaman before I go back to work in the middle east...them chicken breasts sure were nice lookin'...

Over the years due to not eating beef frequently I have built an intolerance to it myself. If I eat it, guarantee to be in the bathroom numerous times next day using the bumb gun. So yes the answer is that a person can have an intolerance to beef or for that matter, any food a person doesnt eat on a regular basis.

hmmm...does a masaman curry traditionally call for pork or beef? I'm sure that I've seen a few recipes that call for beef...

today at lotac all they had on offer in the meat section was chicken and fish and I'm determined to do a masaman before I go back to work in the middle east...them chicken breasts sure were nice lookin'...

I love Masaman Curries & generally it's beef but I have seen it as chicken (can't stand, won't eat the stuff) in a few places in KL. Edited by JB300

I love Masaman Curries & generally it's beef but I have seen it as chicken (can't stand, won't eat the stuff) in a few places in KL.

You do know that "masaman" means "Moslem", right?

not quite, AyG...in latin america it's 'muselman'...

but yeah...dem muslims is good eatin'...nice wid a bit ob tahini sauce...

Not quite? From Wikipedia "Massaman or matsaman is not a native Thai word. It is generally thought to refer to the Muslims with earlier writers from the mid-19th century calling the dish "Mussulman curry"; Mussulman being an archaic form of the word Muslim."

Not quite? From Wikipedia "Massaman or matsaman is not a native Thai word. It is generally thought to refer to the Muslims with earlier writers from the mid-19th century calling the dish "Mussulman curry"; Mussulman being an archaic form of the word Muslim."

mid 19th century? did they have Lobo curry packets back then?

I think not...

• 1 month later...

Over the years due to not eating beef frequently I have built an intolerance to it myself. If I eat it, guarantee to be in the bathroom numerous times next day using the bumb gun. So yes the answer is that a person can have an intolerance to beef or for that matter, any food a person doesnt eat on a regular basis.

After eight years in Thailand returned to Aus for three and my diet had changed. A good steak I will enjoy very occasionally but only small amount or i will be sick too. Diary is the big one though. Milk and butter are totally finished and only certain cheeses.

Quick beef story. Back in 2001, Motherdearest came to visit and brought the things you miss. Quarter of a wheel of parmesan and a great cryo-vac lump of rump 10+ kilos from the farm. [the irony now is above of course!!]. What a wobbling mess it was. Anyhow, the gf could not enter the kitchen after opening the rump, then nothing at all from the fridge the next day, and took off up country to see her own family whilst we chowed down on the rest of that heffer. She still talks about that smell with a shudder.

RE Vietnam. Certainly in the 1990's it was not beef but buffalo. Now they have a thriving industry, and import large numbers of live cattle yearly.

I encountered a "beef intolerance" as well...A couple of times I felt VERY bad after eating beef.

But I doubt it has anything to do with the beef itself. Maybe they put some chemicals on it, so it keeps longer fresh. Or it is rotten and some chemicals let it appear fresh? Some bacterial toxins inside?

From beef I bought in the supermarket, it was wrapped in plastic on the butcher counter....Feel very bad, diarrhea very violent, but relative fast recovery.

I ate lots of beef before and for sure I have no problem with normal beef.

I encountered a "beef intolerance" as well...A couple of times I felt VERY bad after eating beef.

But I doubt it has anything to do with the beef itself. Maybe they put some chemicals on it, so it keeps longer fresh. Or it is rotten and some chemicals let it appear fresh? Some bacterial toxins inside?

From beef I bought in the supermarket, it was wrapped in plastic on the butcher counter....Feel very bad, diarrhea very violent, but relative fast recovery.

I ate lots of beef before and for sure I have no problem with normal beef.

any meat wrapped in plastic will go right off,unless its in a cold cold counter,and not left overnight in any sort of heat. to test this leave a piece on the side and unrap the next morning.bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif