UK - 5yr or 10yr Visit Visa, anyone applied/received one recently?

Just doing a little research and was wondering if anyone has recently applied for and received a 5yr or 10yr Visit Visa for the UK ?

How did you find the process, what extra's if any, to a standard Visa app did you need to provide.

High price for the long term visa and it could be an expensive mistake if not handled correctly , so any info or suggestions etc would be welcome.

Thanks

I did this last year for the wife in the VFS office in Bangkok. The process was very simple and relatively painless. The only shock for me was that the VFS officer who checks the documents was not sure if we were submitting enough as it is 'up to the embassy' to decide if all the paperwork would be acceptable or not.

Anyway, filled in the online form and booked an appointment time.

We submitted, passport copies, id card, marriage certificate, house book, tax forms for her business, contract from my current employer, bank account details - funds and the like, children's birth certificates and finally a letter from me asking for the visa.

We had no evidence of hotels and flight tickets as we wanted the visa to enter as and when we need to enter.

Handed in the documents and she had a small interview.

Job done we left and the visa arrived a few weeks later by post - simple.

I should point out that this is not the first time that we have applied for a UK visa.

As well as all the usual requirements for a visit visa, they will be looking to see that the applicant has a credible reason for making regular visits to the UK over the long term.

Being married to a British citizen resident in Thailand should be seen as such, so provide evidence of your status there as KhonJaiYen did.

Previous travel history will also help; especially previous visits to the UK, other EU countries, the US, Australia etc. where the applicant has complied with the conditions of their visa.

But be warned; if the ECO decides to issue a shorter term than that applied for, there will be no refund of the difference in fees.

BTW, regardless of the term of a visit visa, the holder can still only spend a maximum of 6 months in the UK per visit.

Also, though not a hard and fast rule, if it appeared that they may be spending more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK this could be seen as de facto residence and so they could be refused entry by UK immigration.

The purpose or reasoning on this 5yr Visa is to avoid the annual trips (6hrs by bus each way and overnight hotel). It would also allow more flexibility and advance booking for flights etc.

The wife has had 7 consecutive visa's for the Uk, (8th just submitted) each occasion spending around 3-4 months, so the 6 in 12 is not an issue.

You could say we have a proven track record of 3-4 month Uk 8+ months Thailand.

After this last trip and the various problems, I decided to search for an alternative to this annual submission/Trek.

Agree with all the above. I got sick and tired of the annual grind of gathering evidence. All of this could be kept on a data base at the Embassy and the only question needing to be answered would be' have your circumstances changed since your last visit?' This is called offering a service to British citizens and their wives. Why we have to pay is another mystery - we aren't as broke as some EU countries and they don't get charged for a wife travelling with her husband.

• Like 1

Yes, this last time we nearly went for the 5 year to cut down on applications. As 7by7 said if they issue a shorter visa then you don't get a refund. We did the 6 month again....

Agree its quite a financial gamble "if" it should be declined.

The purpose or reasoning on this 5yr Visa is to avoid the annual trips (6hrs by bus each way and overnight hotel). It would also allow more flexibility and advance booking for flights etc.

The wife has had 7 consecutive visa's for the Uk, (8th just submitted) each occasion spending around 3-4 months, so the 6 in 12 is not an issue.

You could say we have a proven track record of 3-4 month Uk 8+ months Thailand.

After this last trip and the various problems, I decided to search for an alternative to this annual submission/Trek.

Based on the above, I can see no reason why even a 10 year application would be refused.

But maybe a five year one to be sure?

Agree with all the above. I got sick and tired of the annual grind of gathering evidence. All of this could be kept on a data base at the Embassy and the only question needing to be answered would be' have your circumstances changed since your last visit?'

Details of previous applications are kept on a database, for 10 years I believe. But people's circumstances do change, and the ECOs need evidence of the applicant's current circumstances when assessing a visa application. Not everyone is as honest as members here and may not answer your question truthfully!

This is called offering a service to British citizens and their wives. Why we have to pay is another mystery - we aren't as broke as some EU countries and they don't get charged for a wife travelling with her husband.

No, it is offering a service to foreign nationals who wish to enter the UK. Whilst I agree that most UK visa fees, being set at way above cost, are a rip off, the average British tax payer would not be happy paying for your wife's visa application to be processed. It would be a political minefield for any government which introduced it.

As far as I am aware, all EU countries charge for visa applications. Perhaps you can tell us which ones don't?

Visas and entry permits issued to qualifying family members of an EEA national applying to enter a state other than that of which the EEA national is a citizen under the EEA regulations are free.

So, for example, the wife of a French citizen applying to enter the UK would not be charged a fee, but if applying to enter France would have to pay whatever application fee the French charge.

The same for the wife of a Brit. Visa to any other EEA state; free. Visa to the UK; charged.

Unless Surinder Singh applies.