I don't think we're racist

sir charles IV

I think I may have confused race and nationality. I understand the difference. Loosely speaking people who don't accept people from other countries as their own are referred to "racist". The point I was interested in sharing was, let's stick to Thais, a Thai person can gain citizenship of most western countries but people from western countries cannot gain Thai citizenship. I found it interesting when someone here said women can.

It's far easier for a westerner to obtain Thai citizenship through their own merits than it is for a Thai person to gain Australian citizenship. I suspect most other western nations are similar.

Where things differ are through marriage, in Australia after a 1 year application, plus one year residency, a Thai person married to an Australian citizen can apply for citizenship, while in Thailand no such system exists.

So what you're trying to say is, in Thailand it's easier for foreigners to gain citizenship on their own merits, while in the west it's easier to get citizenship through marriage - therefore Thai people are racist.

What do you mean by "their own merit"?

Getting australian citizenship efter just two years is pretty damn nice. In Sweden it's 3 years married to a swedish citizen, 5 years if married to any other citizen. If you are already citizen of any nordic country (Iceland, Norway, Denmark or Finland) then you can get swedish citizenship after 2 years of residence.

By own merit I mean gaining citizenship by working towards it (as opposed to easy paths in like marriage/refugee/etc). In Thailand to earn citizenship you're expected to learn the language, adopt the culture and become a contributing member of Thai society for a number of years. In Australia when working towards citizenship, the cultural component isn't as important but the contributing bit is a lot harder as (a) it's more competitive and (B) many Thai qualifications are not respected.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By own merit I mean gaining citizenship by working towards it (as opposed to easy paths in like marriage/refugee/etc). In Thailand to earn citizenship you're expected to learn the language, adopt the culture and become a contributing member of Thai society for a number of years. In Australia when working towards citizenship, the cultural component isn't as important but the contributing bit is a lot harder as (a) it's more competitive and (cool.png many Thai qualifications are not respected.

The only hard bit is earning the money in Thailand in an approved occupation with a work permit.

Own merit, what a load of old tosh.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

By own merit I mean gaining citizenship by working towards it (as opposed to easy paths in like marriage/refugee/etc). In Thailand to earn citizenship you're expected to learn the language, adopt the culture and become a contributing member of Thai society for a number of years. In Australia when working towards citizenship, the cultural component isn't as important but the contributing bit is a lot harder as (a) it's more competitive and (cool.png many Thai qualifications are not respected.

The only hard bit is earning the money in Thailand in an approved occupation with a work permit.

Own merit, what a load of old tosh.

You think it's any easier in the west? The occupations that are pathways to citizenship in Australia change every year based on demand. You can spend 4 years studying a degree only to be told it's no longer in demand and not be able to obtain PR (as a pathway to citizenship) from it.

Also there are quite a few foreigners that have been awarded Thai citizenship the same as back in our own countries.

Almost none in comparison.

My first thought. You could probably count the foreigners that

received Thai citizenship on one hand I think. Nice comparison....blink.png.pagespeed.ce.AQgCnSOpp_TIbQsYc

I understand what you mean Sir Charles. More than 220 different nationalities are represented in oz, when they immigrate / emigrate (whichever one it is) and gain citizenship we accept them as our own, embrace the multiculturalism and are better off for it.

Thais on the other hand shun anyone who isn't there own. "That is Racism at its finest"

Local council and federal government positions are open to those of all nationalities (with citizenship). How many non Thais hold these positions here ? I would say none.,,,

Thailand needs to learn how to accept others and embrace them if they ever want to move forward in this world that isn't just Thailand but Earth as we know it and full of many different cultures, nationalities, ethnicity's and races.

You do realize that for instance Australia (or why not my fake country Sweden and my true country Finland) was almost purely "white" nation not very long ago (not more than 50 years)*? Isn't it "funny" how this multicultural thing is only a one-way highway?

*No need for "blah blah blah" about aboriginals and sami people.

Are you saying you hope Thailand will be like Australia in 50 years?

"A lot of immigrants in western world complain that we're racist. Our laws welcome people in, grants them citizen ships, voting rights and all the entitlements that natives enjoy. However when we immigrate to say Asian countries such as Los we can never become one of them eg citizenship and the like. Our laws forbid racism but these countries don't. Just wondering what others think. "

Los you can get citizenship, no matter what race you are. Not granting people citizenship is not racist. We the western countries don't protect our culture. Letting in uneducated people or people with culture we don't want is plain stupid.

Thinking someone with different skin color is stupid is racist. To think that some religion/culture makes problems in our society isn't racist. There is no catholic, muslim, buddhist race.....

And how are we different from foreigners in our own countries ? We don't have the same culture as the Thais.. and if you read this board we want to change things in Thailand for our good. To expect foreigners to completely assimilate in your home country while we as foreigners here in general retain our own culture is a bit hypocrite.

You even got foreigners here trying to convert Thais to Christianity, just imagine the uproar if Muslims would do the same standing on the streets trying to convert Christians back home.

Foreigners back home should respect the original inhabitants (often heard complaint) Anyone reading Thaivisa knows how much foreigners here respect Thais.

The only difference i see is an economic one we don't cost Thailand money.

I guess this argument goes over the head of many.. and many just don't want to see the parallels. <deleted>

Sure its not totally the same.. but just think about it a bit.

I of course am not for loads and loads of freeloading immigrants.. but I don't have much problems with those who work and build their own life without support of the state. They are in fact much the same as us living here.

"Foreigners back home should respect the original inhabitants (often heard complaint)""

Yes, people "back home" will agree with this as long as they believe they are the "original inhabitants".

Look how well the foreigners from Europe, back home ( for me in America), respected the original inhabitants, the Native Americans, the ones the Europeans misnamed" Indians".

They respected them so much the almost wiped out the race.

And to my friends from Australia who's ancestors were foreigners who immigrated there from Europe, how well did they respect the "original inhabitants"??

Perspective, arrogance, and ego have a lot to do with this topic.

Let's try to mix in a little honesty too!

None of the people who perpetuated crimes against native populations are now alive. Even if they were, it would not justify modern racism and discrimination.

"A lot of immigrants in western world complain that we're racist. Our laws welcome people in, grants them citizen ships, voting rights and all the entitlements that natives enjoy. However when we immigrate to say Asian countries such as Los we can never become one of them eg citizenship and the like. Our laws forbid racism but these countries don't. Just wondering what others think. "

Los you can get citizenship, no matter what race you are. Not granting people citizenship is not racist. We the western countries don't protect our culture. Letting in uneducated people or people with culture we don't want is plain stupid.

Thinking someone with different skin color is stupid is racist. To think that some religion/culture makes problems in our society isn't racist. There is no catholic, muslim, buddhist race.....

And how are we different from foreigners in our own countries ? We don't have the same culture as the Thais.. and if you read this board we want to change things in Thailand for our good. To expect foreigners to completely assimilate in your home country while we as foreigners here in general retain our own culture is a bit hypocrite.

You even got foreigners here trying to convert Thais to Christianity, just imagine the uproar if Muslims would do the same standing on the streets trying to convert Christians back home.

Foreigners back home should respect the original inhabitants (often heard complaint) Anyone reading Thaivisa knows how much foreigners here respect Thais.

I guess this argument goes over the head of many.. and many just don't want to see the parallels. <deleted>

I of course am not for loads and loads of freeloading immigrants.. but I don't have much problems with those who work and build their own life without support of the state. They are in fact much the same as us living here.

"Foreigners back home should respect the original inhabitants (often heard complaint)""

Yes, people "back home" will agree with this as long as they believe they are the "original inhabitants".

Look how well the foreigners from Europe, back home ( for me in America), respected the original inhabitants, the Native Americans, the ones the Europeans misnamed" Indians".

And to my friends from Australia who's ancestors were foreigners who immigrated there from Europe, how well did they respect the "original inhabitants"??

None of the people who perpetuated crimes against native populations are now alive. Even if they were, it would not justify modern racism and discrimination.

Budright - this is incorrect and an utterly facile assessment of what is racism.....

Most people are racisit; it's in our genes, civilised peoples apply intelectual reasoning to supress the overt expression of this base genetic nature. In discussions such as this I prefer the term bigot which to me is the overt expression of our natural racist tendencies.

Most people are racisit; it's in our genes, civilised peoples apply intelectual reasoning to supress the overt expression of this base genetic nature. In discussions such as this I prefer the term bigot which to me is the overt expression of our natural racist tendencies.

Complete and utter nonsense - racism is learned...

It is innate, genetic.

It is innate, genetic.

that is so sad that you have that opinion......it would help if you read up on this....and i don't mean look around google for a page that supports your deeply flawed opinion.......I mean READ

I believe it is human nature to find others to look down on in order to feel better about ourselves.

I also believe that is why those on the lowest levesl of the ladder of accomplishment are usually the most prejudiced and bigoted.

I would love to say that I am not a prejudice person,

But in all honesty I am prejudice.

I can not tolerate bigots!

I agree 100%

If you can see yourself in any of this, you are probably a racist....

How to spot a racist

First, the definition. According to the Oxford Dictionary a racist is someone who believes:

each race or ethnic group possesses specific characteristics, abilities, or qualities that distinguish it as inferior or superior to another such group.

Notice that it is a belief not a feeling. Advanced stages can lead to open hatred, even violence.

Symptoms

More common are these symptoms:

1. They believe that whites are naturally better than blacks – more intelligent, more moral, more trustworthy, more beautiful, more hard-working and so on. Like if they think whites are Basically Good while blacks are not. You know these people are racist because this is pretty much a restatement of the definition.

2. They believe stereotypes about blacks. The bad stereotypes, at least, fit the definition of racism.

3. They use the n-word, racist slurs or tell racist jokes – meaning they feel the need to disrespect blacks. Why is that? If they do it against Asians or Latinos, then most likely they are racist against blacks too.

4. They play down slavery like it is no big deal. Because to them the suffering of black people is no big deal. Because blacks do not count as, like, Real People. Unlike, say, the Jews whose Holocaust we must never forget (and rightly so). Key expressions:

Get over it!

It was the times!

Africans sold their own people as slaves!

Arab traders sold slaves too!

Slavery is universal!

My family never owned slaves!

5. They think racism is no longer a big deal. Only a racist could look at American society and think there is nothing seriously wrong.

6. They think blacks are imagining racism, which is racist in and of itself since it assumes that blacks have extremely poor judgement.

7. They think blacks are their own worst enemy. Black pathologies, blaming the victim and all that. Which in practice is just another way of saying racism is no big deal.

8. They are against reparations, affirmative action, etc – against any serious, concrete policy to undo the damage done and provide equal opportunity. Why is that?

9. They think blacks are unreasonably angry, have a chip on their shoulders, complain, whine, etc. After the history blacks have gone through and are still going through, they have every right to be angry!

10. They use the tone argument where they say they would listen to you if you said it nicer. This puts white feelings above black feelings. Why?

11. They think racism is natural. Which, of course, means it seems natural to them. Why is that?

One or two symptoms might not mean much. Three or more indicate illness.

Some quick-and-dirty tests:

1. Ask them about reparations. Less important than whether they agree is how important they think the lives of black people are in comparison to whites.

2. Ask them what percentage of white people they think are racist. Subtract that from 100 to get a rough measure of their own racism (a score of 100 means they are completely racist).

So here's how you spot a racist:

1) They say things like "I'm not a racist, but..." Anything following that is going to be racist. That's your first tip: Racists say racist things. It's the same way with homophobic people. If someone says "I'm not homophobic, but the gays are going to burn," it doesn't really matter that they denied BEING homophobic, because they immediately followed it up with a homophobic statement. "I'm not a racist, but was slavery really all that bad?" See that? You might think to yourself--"Well, he said he wasn't a racist, so he can't be. I mean, that last part was really bad, but he made it a point to say he's not a racist so that's that." Nope. Doesn't work that way. So watch those opening lines.

2) They talk about hating affirmative action. Oh sure, not agreeing with affirmative action doesn't necessarily make you a racist, but there are some people who go out of their way to talk about it.

For example, let's say you're at a baby shower--

"Helen, this baby is going to be so loved."
"He sure is, Helen, but he's probably not going to get into college because all those goddamn Eskimos are taking up all the spots."

See how that person sneakily brought in that little bit of anti-affirmative action propaganda? That means she's a racist. Again, not because she doesn't believe in affirmative action, but because of how vocal she is about it.

Let's look at another example. Say you're at your parents wedding anniversary--

"Mom and Dad, thank you for sharing your love with all of us."
"Yes, Mom and Dad, thank you for earning your place in all of our hearts. Not like how Indians earn their places at Ivy League colleges because they're in the minority."

Forget arguing with these people. They're racists. You can't argue with racists. It's like arguing with koala bears, because koala bears hate minorities too.

"But what about the fact that for hundreds of years, many different groups of people were blocked from receiving higher education? Shouldn't we be blaming our forefathers who acted so disgracefully rather than blame people today who are being given the chance that their ancestors weren't? Shouldn't we also acknowledge that people get unfair advantages in this country for all sorts of reasons? Schools that openly take legacy candidates even when they get poor grades in high school and undergrad? Schools that still cater to the rich? What about that?"

Usually when presented with this argument, a racist will throw up on you.

That's another way to tell who is or isn't a racist.

3) Racists like to throw people out of America.

"Did you hear there was a bombing in Kansas?"
"Close the borders! Kick 'em all out!"
"Um, I think it was an exploding furnace."
"Kick 'em out anyway!"
"Who's 'em?"

They forget that almost every one of us is descended from either persecuted religious Puritans that subsequently persecuted others making them hypocrites OR smelly immigrants who came to this country with just enough English to pass a citizenship test and never learned another word.

Did you like what I just said?

You're probably a racist.

Follow these helpful tips, and you'll be able to keep those racists in your life at a safe distance.

PS. A safe distance for a racist is about three and a half miles, or inside the nearest portable latrine.

Claim: “If scientists were not so constrained by political correctness, (add ethnic group here) would be classified as Homo erectus, and not Homo sapiens, therefore they’re less evolved, inferior, blah blah blah…” – this statement is usually accompanied by a picture of someone of the mentioned ethnic group, who usually has dark skin.

1- “It’s not really part of your culture” -Some form of this will be said as they, a person not of the culture in question, tells you what is or is not part of your culture. At least half of the time, this will accompany some form of belittling the item/issue. Clever retorts like, ”You can have it" or "I wouldn’t even want that to part of my culture" will be made.

2- “Sharing/Blending/Appreciating” -These are some of the favorite code words used instead of the word they actually mean, stealing.

3- “If I can’t wear thing A, you can’t wear thing B.” -This will be the more extreme racists. They tend to equate something important in one culture to something non-important in their own. This is a place where you’ll often see the use of “Blue Jeans” used as something that “Others” can’t do ya know…’cause appropriation. This also let’s you know that the person speaking, has absolutely no understanding of what cultural appropriation actually is but…they sure do like to regurgitate their opinions about it loud, often and without an ounce of knowledge.

4- “Oh yeah, such and such is real important to culture A” -This will be said, on this post, after racists read number 3. No seriously, save this post and come back and read the notes. They will pick a dance, a food or something seemingly random that they’ve seen someone call an appropriated item. They will then belittle said item and give the verbal equivalent of an eye roll. Once again, see number 1.

4b- “If so-and-so did this" -This is a favorite tactic of the racist. They wouldn’t miss a chance to use it during cultural appropriation talks as well. If someone, specifically someone famous or well known among the crowd, gets accused of cultural appropriation, a racist will often jump to say "If so and so did this no one would say anything about it" or some form of the like. Racists often have no understanding of why one person can do something and another can not. It’s basic human decency for most of us but racists believe that they, specifically them, should be able to do all things to all people and everyone should stand and applaud.

5- “Cultural Appropriation isn’t even that bad.” -This will almost always be followed by a dissertation containing the code words from number 2. They will talk about the “Blending” of the cultures and how it makes things better when the powerful steal and abuse the less powerful…*ahem*…I mean, appreciate the less powerful. If they really find themselves in a corner, they’ll pull out the “There are more important things to worry about" line. Which, also tells you how little they actually know about appropriation.

http://recreationalsociologist.tumblr.com/post/60220517745/5-things-racists-say-to-justify-cultural-appropriation

I’ve got nothing against them….but

They come over here.

Did you hear the one about?…….

“coloureds”

“racialist”

PC gone mad

Dysfunctional race

Some of them a racist too!

It’s in their culture

They talk about hating affirmative action. Oh sure, not agreeing with affirmative action doesn't necessarily make you a racist, but there are some people who go out of their way to talk about it.

For example, let's say you're at a baby shower--

"Helen, this baby is going to be so loved."
"He sure is, Helen, but he's probably not going to get into college because all those goddamn Eskimos are taking up all the spots."

See how that person sneakily brought in that little bit of anti-affirmative action propaganda? That means she's a racist. Again, not because she doesn't believe in affirmative action, but because of how vocal she is about it.

You can always spot a racist. He's the one who, before there are facts on the table, judges an incident in favor of his race. He's also the one who, after the evidence and verdict contradict him, judges the incident in favor of his race.

If you look at what we did for over 5 centuries , Slave Trade , Colonization , East India Company,Clive of India,Slaughter of aborigines, Opium War and much , much more, we shouldn't really cast stones at countries who may have been one of our previous victims in one way or another. We have laws like we do because of our past and to be honest most people are a bit racist

When you consider that, "...Slave Trade , Colonization , East India Company,Clive of India,Slaughter of aborigines, Opium War and much , much more..." are not things that the average Thai ever learns about in what passes for a tertiary education in LOS, I fail to see the point being made.
I think the OP is seeking opinions on the attitude of foreigners residing in Thailand towards their hosts and vice versa.
I tend to avoid the much abused term 'racist' when it comes to the myopic demagoguery that prevails and prefer to think that due to centuries of feudal patronage, they are simply another tribe of nationalistic xenophobes.

It was essentially the colonial powers that "authorised" racism as a way to justify of their colonisations and treatment of the native inhabitants....including slavery

Racism before then didn't really exist - it was largely based on xenophobia and tribal divisions. The underlying causes were quite different

This is the typical farang type of topic of "unfairness" whereby his country and people are so not racist to immigrants who are not farang but yet these immigrants home countries like thailand, laos etc are so racist to them.

Seriously is this really true?

Immigrants to western nations face harrassment like taunting and all that attacks etc on a constant basis. Let's just use australia as an example yet somehow people like the OP can overlook it but then exggerrate what countries like thailand/laos do to them.

I don't know why it's just like those farang who complain about double standards in the media and society at large all because they can get punished for using racial slurs that they wouldn't get punished for say 20-30 years ago and then try to make it seem like a non farang like a black person wouldn't get punished for using slurs on farang. This is just one example.

It was essentially the colonial powers that "authorised" racism as a way to justify of their colonisations and treatment of the native inhabitants....including slavery

Racism before then didn't really exist - it was largely based on xenophobia and tribal divisions. The underlying causes were quite different

So you mean that the arab slave trading (which was about twice larger in human count) had absolutely nothing to do with racism? You don't seem to realize that even today black people are viewed as less than dog sh*t in arab countries.

And to even state that racism didn't exist until "the white devil invented it" shows that you really have to go back to kindergarden.

So you mean that the arab slave trading (which was about twice larger in human count) had absolutely nothing to do with racism? You don't seem to realize that even today black people are viewed as less than dog sh*t in arab countries.

And to even state that racism didn't exist until "the white devil invented it" shows that you really have to go back to kindergarden.

You are completely wrong in just about every word you post....but it makes your sentiments quite clear as you think dichotomising the issues is a real argument.

It is so sad that people can be this wide of the mark.......a "Google academic" no less....

Edited by cumgranosalum

So your whole argument is that Arab racism is worse than white racism, so white racism is ok? Seriously? As an American, I know that what we did back in the day was not only wrong, but incredibly evil. Making comparisons with what other societies did is not only pointless, but demonstrates a huge amount of denial and ignorance. Just know that it was wrong and indefensible.

So your whole argument is that Arab racism is worse than white racism, so white racism is ok? Seriously? As an American, I know that what we did back in the day was not only wrong, but incredibly evil. Making comparisons with what other societies did is not only pointless, but demonstrates a huge amount of denial and ignorance. Just know that it was wrong and indefensible.

English is my third language and english is surely your first (as you are american) yet you don't understand what i wrote. Maybe read what i wrote one more time? I can help you "get on track" if you then still don't understand my three simple sentences.

English is my third language and english is surely your first (as you are american) yet you don't understand what i wrote. Maybe read what i wrote one more time? I can help you "get on track" if you then still don't understand my three simple sentences.

simple ...yes.....correct....noooooo. you use assumption and the same flawed logic of racists - you are confusing association with causation.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Post removed and responses to it.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

OP, may be you want to say that "We" pretend not to be racists and yes, you are right to say that "We" have got laws in our countries that do not allow us to be racists.

By reading comments about the Thais on TVF, including mine, then you can see if "We" are racists or not.

Immigration rules in Thailand are not racist but they are trying to safeguard their own people.

Also there are quite a few foreigners that have been awarded Thai citizenship the same as back in our own countries.

Also using the term "We" shows that we differentiate ourselves from the natives.

Is that racism?

--------------------------------

Thank you, Costas.

That's one of my pet dislikes on this forum.

People who refer to "their" perceived group as "US" and Thais as "Them".

I am an individual, not part of a group.

And as an individual I always get angry when some poster assumes I am a member of his group and refers to me as part of his "We" and my Thai friends as a "They".

I am an individual not the part of any WE or an US.

i think u missed the point. Just to be clear in this case We=citizen/government of any western country. Them=citizen/government of any Asian or more specifically Thailand. This is not a perception nor a generalization. It is a legally defined grouping and based on sovereignty.

Really - and what has thet to do with racism? Your argument and definitions would credit a lower school student.