Digital Cameras

mango head

Looking to buy digital camera for oldest daughter. Have looked at several over internet. Daughter prefers Sony but would like to hear from anyone with experience with other brands. Am mostly concerned with quality and ease of use. any comments greatly appreciated. :o

i'm on my third one, didnt get on with the first two, found them difficult to use.

first was a 2m pixcel nikon 775, it was fine picture wise, printing to postcard size was fine. but i didnt like the menus on it. it had a long start up time,i.e. it took 2 seconds from turning on to being able to take the picture and then there was a short delay between pressing the shutter and the actual picture being taken.

i ended up missing shots.

next one was a nikon, but i forget the model number,it folded up small, but it didnt have a viewfinder other than the lcd screen. couldnt get used to it.

now i have a canon ixxus 4m pixcel and will keep it until it falls apart. it is very easy to work through the menus and i can find the mode i want super quick. it is solidly built, feels wonderful to use, so much so that i use it more than ive ever used any other camera and it's ergonomically perfect.

i was also looking at sony cameras. the sales lady took two pictures for me , one on the ixxus and one on the equivalent 4m pixcel sony, then put both pictures up side by side on the computer. there was no comparison, the canon was by far the better picture.(sharpness,colour saturation).

i bought at "digital time" 604/3 4th floor panthip plaza. very helpful,no pressure,no rush shop. they have all the brands there. the sony v. canon demonstration was done at a camera shop on the ground floor in mah boon krong.

called "foto-file", very good prices but a busy shop and the staff are a bit pushy.

if you will want to print 10 x 8 of almost professional standard then maybe you should look at 5m pixcels and up, although. for normal use though 4m is fine.

Guest IT Manager

Last week a friend gave me Casio Exilim, 2 Meg card camera. Reasonably priced and I listen to it on my way to work, since it is also an MP3 player.

out_the_window.jpg

This was taken when I read your question. Posted to show the camera capacity.

http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

http://www.dcresource.com/index.shtml

In a nutshell.

The number of pixels is what gives you the maximum size of the photo you can print, the higher, the bigger can be the photo you print.

These days, I would go for 3 Mega pixels since the prices went down and it will be more than enough for most situations (up to A4 size).

Another factor is the storage device. I still prefer the flash card system since it is widely available and as such has a tendency to get cheaper every day.

and then there was a short delay between pressing the shutter and the actual picture being taken.

this happen right after i dropped mine on the ground . somehow it fixed itself after i kept using it.

i have a casio exlim that is so thin i throw it in my pocket before going out quite a bit. it has a mp3 player built in i like, but i don't recommend it for close ups because the lens won't focus on small objects. however, there is a newer exlim with a better lens that just came out.

Looking to buy digital camera for oldest daughter. Have looked at several over internet. Daughter prefers Sony but would like to hear from anyone with experience with other brands. Am mostly concerned with quality and ease of use. any comments greatly appreciated. :o

there is an option here to compare the characteristics and prices

http://shop.bizrate.com/buy/browse__cat_id--402.html

There's an excellent digital camera review site here:

Digital Camera Review

My pic for the best all-round camer at this moment would be the Sony DSC-T1:

Sony DSC-T1

Sleek, stylish, huge screen, 5 megapix.

my simple Olympus C-500 also has 5 Mpxls - is it the criteria?

it just depends on what one wanna use it for.....

how many Mpxls not the main thing. for me important is optical zoom - coz digital doesn't necessary provide sufficient facility to make good macro pics..... then USB port and some important features, type of memory....

but for daughter who is teen ? I guess 2 or 3 Megs would be quite enough....

I have a Fuji S304

6X optical lens, XD card, 1.8 LCD, 3.2 Mpix, electronic viewfinder.

I am very pleased with it, easy to use graet piccies and it uses rechargeable batteries.

The delay between pushing the shutter and taking the picture is the time taken for the auto focus to operate.

My camera has the option of constant focusing so that the picture is instant but it uses more battery in that mode.

I like everyones thoughts they are all true so how does that help you?

Name brands such as Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony etc.. are all good. It really comes down to these simple questions.

1) Looks, if it for your daughter looks are going to be real important.

2) Feel, how are the controls in your hand. can you get to the buttons and work the camera.

3) Size, do you want it to fit in your pocket or what?

4) Memory type, there are several type compact flash, SD, Sony Sticks what memory do you want to have. You can also share. My friend uses his SD ram in is Palm and camera. works great. Also price per meg. Sony tends to be the most expensive.

Few facts

1) Don't look at digital zoom look for a good optical zoom.

2) Megapixal. 3 - 4 is all most people will need. Also when you start shooting 5 meg you have to have huge cards.

3) Digital cameras are like file expect for the media and focal length of the zoom. Use good old fashion horse sense.

4) Buy in the Country you live in. Sony, Canon, and Nikon all say the warranty is only good in the country purchased. (found this out the hard way.)

I have owned 3 digitals.

The Nikon's are good for people with big hands and have simple dials. Lots of red eye. When light is good it take great pics.

Canon is what I shoot with now. I have the S400 have over 10,000 pics on it. Nothing to say bad about it. Also have an underwater case have taken it down to 34 met with no problems. The camera does not have any filters or can't add anything to it.

Sony are nice. Good pics good movies. The stick memory is a downer though. really expensive.

I also own a Casio - the ExLim EX Z3 and I have to say I love it. Many features such as photo effects and can take MPEG's. I also had a Kodak from the LS series I think it was 320, not teh best but it was also good. It depeneds on what U want to use it for really. For normal use - like taking pictures at family functions and stuff 3.2 and even 2.2 will suffice. But the prices are coming down now and seems that 3 may be the minimum. I'd stay away from the Sony since I believe they require only Sony Memory Stick (expensive) to be used for removable storage - but I haven't researched it and could be wrong. CF memory seems cheaper than SD but SD is coming down in price - IMHO U might as well get a dig that can accomodate one or the other (both i better - do they exist?). Hope it helps.