Hat Yai > Penang visa run by Vietnamese citizen

Australian here, planning to get 2/3 month Thai tourist visas for me and Vietnamese travel buddy in Penang via an agent.

On the way in to Penang from Hat Yai via minibus, will my Vietnamese friend need an onward/return ticket? If so, any tips on best way to get one?

Also, is it easy for a Vietnamese citizen to get a 2/3 month Thai tourist through a Penang agent? Any hidden hurdles?

Thanks

Although the Vietnamese friend shouldn't need an onward ticket, he may be asked for one. I suspect that the border guards down at the Malay border won't hassle Vietnamese too much, unlike at the Lao and Cambodian borders where they may be scrutinized due to many Vietnamese working illegally in Thailand.

I can't say if your friend will be able to get a Thai tourist visa in Penang. Probably yes, but just FYI, in Laos and Cambodia they don't issue Thai visas to Vietnamese. Malaysia might be different though. You might need to ask a visa agent in Penang to be sure.

• Like 1

Just tell them you are coming back through the land border.Proof of employment might be handy as they'll be looking for people coming to work. They are usually pretty laid back at PB with all the Malay-Thais zipping in and out of Thailand with their border passes

• Like 1