Fastest router for DD-WRT?

bino

I'm a big fan of DD-WRT firmware. I've used it for years on Linksys WRT54GL routers, and always been pleased with the performance.

However, lately I have gotten into streaming video from my computer to my TV, and am noticing that the speed is not enough- especially for HD video. The video ends up lagging behind the sound. Other internet operations like Skype are also affected when the streaming to the TV is active.

To be fair - the WRT54GL is getting long in the tooth- it is as it says, a 54 MBPS Wireless G router.

Now that Wireless N is at speeds of 300 and higher, I'd like to give one a try.

Anyone have an uber-fast Wireless N router running DD-WRT? What have you got?

Edited by bino

If you want uber fast then ditch N and go for AC. Pricy but best around. Linksys have a new model, huge, looks great but not cheap, ddwrt but no tomato support (yet). Pinned as a wrt54g replacement but not quite there in my eyes.

If you want performance for value then look at the Asus options. I personally use an RT-N12 and while not class leading performance, it outperforms the old faithful 54g by a long way and since it is actually cheaper (1800) amazing value. Next week installing 14 of the HP version in a condo (hp is 9dbi antenna as stock compared to 2dbi normal).

Rtn16 is getting a little dated but amazing reviews and even more powerful but higher price. But unless you are running a VPN or NAS/torrents on the router itself, how much power do you really need?

Previously had one of the buffalo made for ddwrt models and despite unbelivable specs on paper was terrible. Caused major issues on entire local network and kept removing security from wifi and making publically accessible despite several new firmwares.

innerspace- thanks for taking the time to reply with excellent information.

You're absolutely right about how much power do I really need. I'm not really looking for the high priced state-of-the-art uber-fast, just looking for a solid improvement over the WRT54. If I wanted to go faster than Wireless N, I would have to change all of my network adapters also.

Your value for money suggestion of Asus RT-N12 is right on. I've always liked Asus products. I'll be having one of those today.

And I totally agree with you about Buffalo products... I've never really read anything outstanding about them, and just the name alone turns me off!

If you want DD-WWRT compatibility then I suggets you check the DD-WRT fprum,s e.g. here

.ac is supposed to be faster than N but not many devices support it yet and the standrds are not ratified so open to change.

I use a TP-Link C7 Archer which which was not available in Thailand at the time of purchase but that was over a year ago, The Archer also supports DD-WRT, but I am running the stock firmware as it has all the features I need. but I am dissapointed with its .ac range and perfprmance although everything elase is OK.. Other Linksys routers I own are all running DD-WRTfirmware. My must have feature is support for no-ip DDNS. This is not a Linksys feature as far as I am aware although both TP-Link and DD-WRT support it.

Edited by thaimite

If you want uber fast then ditch N and go for AC. Pricy but best around. Linksys have a new model, huge, looks great but not cheap, ddwrt but no tomato support (yet). Pinned as a wrt54g replacement but not quite there in my eyes.

If you want performance for value then look at the Asus options. I personally use an RT-N12 and while not class leading performance, it outperforms the old faithful 54g by a long way and since it is actually cheaper (1800) amazing value. Next week installing 14 of the HP version in a condo (hp is 9dbi antenna as stock compared to 2dbi normal).

Rtn16 is getting a little dated but amazing reviews and even more powerful but higher price. But unless you are running a VPN or NAS/torrents on the router itself, how much power do you really need?

Previously had one of the buffalo made for ddwrt models and despite unbelivable specs on paper was terrible. Caused major issues on entire local network and kept removing security from wifi and making publically accessible despite several new firmwares.

Innerspace,

Is the ASUS RT-N12 fairly easy to set-up? Anything helpful to know in advance? I need to replace a True supplied Zxycel and the Asus looks good.

Thanks.

Edited by dddave

I bit the bullet and bought one of these to go with my new Fibre connection when it arrives.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MG3Q5U8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And as an added layer of protection, I bought one of these on Kickstarter and they are expected to ship in the next few weeks.

https://itusnetworks.com/

I have two IPTV boxes on it and they both work flawlessly.

Edited by Chicog

Innerspace,

Is the ASUS RT-N12 fairly easy to set-up? Anything helpful to know in advance? I need to replace a True supplied Zxycel and the Asus looks good.

Thanks.

Hi... I know you have asked him, but I have just arrived home with the Asus.

Setup was easy. nothing to it. If you don't need anything special in terms of functionality, it is a plug and play item. I didn't have a deep look at the Asus interface, because I flashed the DD-WRT firmware right away.

Something to note though- this is a router only. I connect to a true supplied cable modem.

I suspect that your Zyxel is a modem router and has provision for the incoming internet- probably ADSL telephone wire? If so- you need a different product from the RT-N12.

Edited by bino

Innerspace,

Thanks.

Setup was easy. nothing to it. If you don't need anything special in terms of functionality, it is a plug and play item. I didn't have a deep look at the Asus interface, because I flashed the DD-WRT firmware right away.

Something to note though- this is a router only. I connect to a true supplied cable modem.

I suspect that your Zyxel is a modem router and has provision for the incoming internet- probably ADSL telephone wire? If so- you need a different product from the RT-N12.

Yes rt-n12 is just a router, majority of ddwrt or tomato devices are too.

However if you have an adsl router already a simple bridge mode is all thats needed to make it a modem.

Provider supplied routers typically work well as a modem with a better router.

As for ease of setup, I flashed and configured 14 rt-n12 with tomato today, easy enough.

Recovery mode, flash firmware, clear NVRAM, job done. 15 mins each and then onto config.

HP version has lovely foot long 9dbi antennas that I unfortunately dont have on my own n12.

1800thb makes it best device on the market right now when value is more important than pure specs(in my personal view).

Would love an AC66U myself but would never have convinced a condo to buy 14 of them, which is my key value point.

I bit the bullet and bought one of these to go with my new Fibre connection when it arrives.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MG3Q5U8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And as an added layer of protection, I bought one of these on Kickstarter and they are expected to ship in the next few weeks.

https://itusnetworks.com/

I have two IPTV boxes on it and they both work flawlessly.

Looks nice, but using phone so not friendly enough to dig deep into the reason behind only having 3.5 stars.

Seen good reviews for ac66u, how does this one compare?

Any AC router is hands down better than the model I suggested, except when value is concerned.

Perfect where gigabit wireless is essential. Until 3BB offer gigabit internet or my NAS streams in 40k, wireless N will make do.

An AC router would just disrupt my ferrari savings account for now.

HP version has lovely foot long 9dbi antennas that I unfortunately dont have on my own n12.

I got those big antennas. Just for laughs I set the router out on my balcony with a long network cable. I was getting a nice fat signal on the street eleven floors down.

I'm impressed. One of those changes where you find yourself asking yourself "why the hell did I wait so long to do this?"

Thanks again for the advice.

Innerspace,

Thanks.

Thanks, Bino for the information and the "heads up" on the modem. I do in fact have True ADSL and was blisfully unaware of the difference. I would have bought the Asus and probably have put a forehead shaped dent in my stucco somewhere along the installation process.

The True Zyxel does not perform very well...never really has and I am tired of the low quality gear they provide. Prior to the Zyxel, they gave me two different Billions that were real garbage. I really want my own quality set-up.

Do I need to ask for a "Router-Modem"??

Thanks also to Innerspace.

• 8 months later...

So i presume everyone installing tomato type firmware has High speed cable connections like True 15mb etc. And thus putting their Cisco, thompson or technicolor modems into bridge mode?
Or has someone found a way to use a brand new modem router and ditch what we get from our ISP?

i also want a decent router with Tomato or functionality like DDWRT

So i presume everyone installing tomato type firmware has High speed cable connections like True 15mb etc. And thus putting their Cisco, thompson or technicolor modems into bridge mode?

Or has someone found a way to use a brand new modem router and ditch what we get from our ISP?

Not so easy replacing your Fibre router I've found.

Not so easy replacing your Fibre router I've found.

Ditto to this, I've looked and essentially you're stuck with the router you get from the ISP. Stick it into Bridge mode, disable the wireless functions (which by the way I think, cools the unit down which helps modem performance) and use a good router.

My current router that I'm running DD-WRT is a Netgear. I run a 24x7 VPN and so far been pretty impressed by both the wireless functions and it overall processing function

post-97442-0-58029700-1452394236_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just run TWO WiFi Access Points and dedicate the Linksys WRT54GL to the TV? Very doubtful the TV can do anything better than 'N' anyway.

Or... how about a good old Ethernet cable? smile.png

I have Linksys and Apple wireless AC base stations, but neither compete with cat6, and I'm 100% confident there's no way I'd be able to get 4K Netflix over wireless - even with decent signal levels, wireless is struggling at 1080P with 5.1 audio (which is only ~8mbps on average, peaking at ~12mbps)

Edited by IMHO

Why not just run TWO WiFi Access Points and dedicate the Linksys WRT54GL to the TV? Very doubtful the TV can do anything better than 'N' anyway.

I have Linksys and Apple wireless AC base stations, but neither compete with cat6, and I'm 100% confident there's no way I'd be able to get 4K Netflix over wireless - even with decent signal levels, wireless is struggling at 1080P with 5.1 audio (which is only ~8mbps on average, peaking at ~12mbps)

Not sure I agree with that statement. The bottleneck to 4K is going to be your incoming internet, not the WiFi, unless of course it's subject to heavy interference, although a move to 5GHz would probably solve that.

I stream 1080p from VUDU without any issues over WiFi

Here's a couple of screenshots from my VUDU app speedtest on Roku, which is connected through a 5GHz WiFi connection, and an actual HDX movie stream with full speed displayed

post-97442-0-98502200-1453600583_thumb.j

post-97442-0-20166700-1453601114_thumb.j

Not sure I agree with that statement. The bottleneck to 4K is going to be your incoming internet, not the WiFi, unless of course it's subject to heavy interference, although a move to 5GHz would probably solve that.

Here's a couple of screenshots from my VUDU app speedtest on Roku, which is connected through a 5GHz WiFi connection, and an actual HDX movie stream with full speed displayed

How can you disagree when I told you it's actual experience? smile.png

If yours works, lucky for you. Wireless struggles at 1080P/5.1- It works, but it's going to start off at really low res, build up to 1080P, then fall back to low res a few times throughout the show. Same content, devices, connection over ethernet doesn't do that. BTW, Netlfix 4K/5.1 wants 25mbps - if your connect can't do this stable, it's going to fall back to 1080P/5.1 as you watch. Yes, I have troubles with that on my 30mbps net.

Edited by IMHO

If yours works, lucky for you. Wireless struggles at 1080P/5.1- It works, but it's going to start off at really low res, build up to 1080P, then fall back to low res a few times throughout the show. Same content, devices, connection over ethernet doesn't do that. BTW, Netlfix 4K/5.1 wants 25mbps - if your connect can't do this stable, it's going to fall back to 1080P/5.1 as you watch. Yes, I have troubles with that on my 30mbps net.

Then again I think it's probably either severe interference affecting your performance, or a bad router. The standards alone far surpass the incoming connection speed from our Thai ISP's. Even G is 54Mbps!

I don't disagree that a cable is always the most stable, but cabling is a pain, especially since Thai building construction tends to not have a cavity to run additional cables, if it wasn't done at the time of construction, and a modern WiFi router can provide stable connections plenty good enough to stream video, including 4K

post-97442-0-23639500-1453605712_thumb.j

Then again I think it's probably either severe interference affecting your performance, or a bad router. The standards alone far surpass the incoming connection speed from our Thai ISP's. Even G is 54Mbps!

I don't disagree that a cable is always the most stable, but cabling is a pain, especially since Thai building construction tends to not have a cavity to run additional cables, if it wasn't done at the time of construction, and a modern WiFi router can provide stable connections plenty good enough to stream video, including 4K

Of course you also know that those speeds are theoretical maximums, and in the real world you get nothing like them smile.png

Anyways, I guess the point is: wireless may or may not work well for high res video streaming. Every setup will be different, if you can't get wireless streaming stable, and it's not because of your net connection, wired will always fix the problem...

I have 4x AP's in my house, so yes, it's a little more difficult to service than most.

I did prewire my house with cat6 (double wires on the long runs, just in case), so it's easy for me. But for all we know, the OP's wireless-G AP could be sitting next to his TV and using ethernet could be something very simple ;)

Edited by IMHO