Seriously concerned about enlistment

My wife came to live in England in 2005; first on a spouse visa then on ILR after two years. We brought my wife's children to England in late 2005 (from her first marriage) then aged 5 (boy) and 3 (girl).

In 2012 they all obtained UK citizenship and British passports and have also kept their Thai passports so now have both British and Thai passports.

Miki is now nearly 16 and we are growing concerned that we will visit Thailand one day and have the immigration officials cart him off for enlistment to the army.

Is that possible? What can we do? Does he have to surrender his Thai passport? Write to the Embassy in London and somehow revoke his Thai citizenship?

If you are really worried which I do no think you have anything to worry about, if you travel to Thailand, enter using his UK passport.

If they did that, presumably the young man, Miki, would be subject to the same visa rules as we UK-born visitors?

Edited by VBF

If you are really worried which I do no think you have anything to worry about, if you travel to Thailand, enter using his UK passport.

If they did that, presumably the young man, Miki, would be subject to the same visa rules as we UK-born visitors?

Yes.

A Thai with dual nationality who uses their other nationality's passport to enter Thailand is treated for immigration purposes as that nationality, not Thai.

I can' find the relevant post(s), but I am sure I have read on here that a Thai, dual national or not, who lives abroad is not required to do military service; unless they move to live in Thailand, are on a Tabien Baan and have a Thai ID card.

Once he reaches 30, he will be exempt anyway.

Hopefully Samran or someone else who knows for sure will respond.

Yes.

A Thai with dual nationality who uses their other nationality's passport to enter Thailand is treated for immigration purposes as that nationality, not Thai.

I can' find the relevant post(s), but I am sure I have read on here that a Thai, dual national or not, who lives abroad is not required to do military service; unless they move to live in Thailand, are on a Tabien Baan and have a Thai ID card.

Once he reaches 30, he will be exempt anyway.

Hopefully Samran or someone else who knows for sure will respond.

That is correct. A Thai with dual nationality and lives full time outside Thailand is not eligible for national service.

But if he moves back to Thailand and/or applies for a Thai ID card and is below 30 he can be drafted into the national service.

I have a Thai friend (dual national) who is 28 years old. he has to wait until he is 30 before he can move full time to Thailand and live her on grounds of his Thai nationality.