Banker warns of dire effect on Thai economy if fishing ban is enforced

webfact

Banker warns of dire effect on economy if fishing ban is enforced

4-23-2015-8-20-31-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A leading banker is warning of the possible banning of Thailand’s fishery products by the European Union will have a dire effect on the country’s economy.

Banthoon Lamsam, chairman and chief executive officer of Kasikorn Bank, stated that the main problems facing the country at the moment are the economy, civil aviation industry and the fisheries sector.

But the last of which will require immediate attention as fishing standards, especially for boat crews, lags behind international standards which may result in the EU banning fishery products.

If so, this action will have an adverse affect on the country’s economy as in every year Thailand exports vast amounts of fishery products.

He advises that both the private and government sectors coordinate to resolve the problem to avoid an economic crisis that could cripple the country.

Meanwhile the Department of Harbour is coordinating with the relevant departments to solve the problem of human trafficking which is the root complaint of illicit human trade by western countries.

Nat Japjai, the deputy director-general of the Harbour Department, stated that they were coordinating with all the relevant government departments to quickly solve the problem of human trafficking which is the main point of contention with western nations and could possibly result in the EU yellow carding the country’s fishery products.

First to be tackled will be the stricter regulating and monitoring of all fishing vessels which will require them to be registered with the Harbour Department.

The deputy director-general revealed that the department will be foregoing inspection fees for vessels not exceeding 20 gross tons and new criteria will be formulated for the issuance of crew’s papers to address the problem of illegal workers.

He admitted that in the past counterfeit papers were widely used by fishing vessels but the problem is now being looked after by the Department for Special Investigations (DSI) and there should be a dramatic reduction in the foreseeable future.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/banker-warns-of-dire-effect-on-economy-if-fishing-ban-is-enforced

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-28

• Like 1

They government has almost impossible situations on their hands. Past governments and state officials have done little or nothing to correct them and now they are all falling into the General's hands at about the same time. I hope he can resolve them. I don't envy his position.

He didn't have to take on the role of PM, a poor tradesman always blames his tools!! You reap what you sow and deflecting it back to the previous inept crowd is expected from a particular quarter. He was warned about the impact of Martial Law on the economy by REAL economists and financial experts and he dismissed these as being anti junta and that nobody understood Thainess or the situation in the country.

There is NOTHING stopping him from stepping down and bringing in a cabinet where he has the experts, the losses occurred in the Thai economy due to the coup have been Staggering if the economic experts outside of Thailand are to be believed.

Bottom line, it's happening on his watch, he and he alone brought in people like Kobakarn and put his buddies in positions they had no experience in.

Yes he inherited a mess, but he wanted that position so badly, and now has ultimate control with no accountability with article 44, he has to accept the bad shit along with the good!!

Knowing his demeanor, the man is just too proud to step down or even ask for help from technocrats. I will give him credit for trying but honestly he and his generals are totally inadequate in collective skill and expertise to solve the economic and political headwinds. His only solution is to have the election as soon as possibility can even if it means another 8/9 months of economic struggle and an ugly charter. I also think the EU will give an extension to the outright ban if the junta show some degree of efforts inner-structuring the fishery industry. Really to expect a result in 6 months is purely insane and not possible.

• Like 1

The Thai Baht is still high so all must be ok or am I being to simplistic. Normally with so much bad news around a country's currency is under pressure and I know the Thai Baht has additional rules compared to major currencies but even so why is it so high when Thailand exports rice, cars and needs Tourism I would have thought a lower Baht would be desired. I must be missing something.

• Like 2

Time for Thailand’s Junta soldier government to step into the 21st century and get their air and fishing regulations up to international standards and to world quality or they will be left behind as usual always the donkeys arse never the leader at the head trot on Thailand.

This is what happens when you rape and deplete your natural resources willy nilly and when the government allows business owners to abuse their workers in slave like conditions.

Thailand gets to clean up its act. Maybe they will finally get it.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Thai Baht is still high so all must be ok or am I being to simplistic. Normally with so much bad news around a country's currency is under pressure and I know the Thai Baht has additional rules compared to major currencies but even so why is it so high when Thailand exports rice, cars and needs Tourism I would have thought a lower Baht would be desired. I must be missing something.

Much of it has to do with the relatively high interested rates in Thailand as well as the quantitative easing underway in the EU, which is depressing the value of the euro against the baht. But as Thailand is forced to continue cutting its interest rates and once the EU gets back on its feet, I think you'll see the baht tumble further.

Another thing that will ensure that it weakens further is if this leadership stays in power. They have nobody in their ranks that has experience running an economy.

Edited by Boo
removed derogatory reference
  • Like 2

If the EU happens to place a sanction on Thailand' fishing industry.....you can bet others will follow.......

One can only hope that the Thais take heed of this warning and actually do something concrete to solve this issue!

They government has almost impossible situations on their hands. Past governments and state officials have done little or nothing to correct them and now they are all falling into the General's hands at about the same time. I hope he can resolve them. I don't envy his position.

He didn't have to take on the role of PM, a poor tradesman always blames his tools!! You reap what you sow and deflecting it back to the previous inept crowd is expected from a particular quarter. He was warned about the impact of Martial Law on the economy by REAL economists and financial experts and he dismissed these as being anti junta and that nobody understood Thainess or the situation in the country.

There is NOTHING stopping him from stepping down and bringing in a cabinet where he has the experts, the losses occurred in the Thai economy due to the coup have been Staggering if the economic experts outside of Thailand are to be believed.

Bottom line, it's happening on his watch, he and he alone brought in people like Kobakarn and put his buddies in positions they had no experience in.

Yes he inherited a mess, but he wanted that position so badly, and now has ultimate control with no accountability with article 44, he has to accept the bad shit along with the good!!

I think Local Drunk point is that these cabinets of experts of who you so highly speak have not done anything to correct the problems in the past. It is NOT happening on his watch. It had already happened. But it must be cured on his watch.

• Like 2

The economy is in tatters as it is, according for the BP this morning export forecast is going to be reduced again to around 1%.

Tourist spending is down, the 400,000 Chinese didn't appear for Songkran, hotels offering up to 50% discount for Thais, and still people like the Tourism minister will turn facts into fiction. And there will be the usual Kool aid gang defending their statistics through graphs produced to make the Titanic look like she was meant to be a submarine !!!

Can you provide a citation on your theory that 400,000 Chinese did not appear for Songkran. Seems like you have been Cherry Picking!

Edited by mikeinbangkok

Greed and corruption, Thai mantra. They only have themselves to blame.

I don't know where you come from clockman but if your country has no greed and corruption I would like to know what it is. What do they say, "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones". The USA, The UK and Australia are all full of corruption as is almost every other country I can think of.

• Like 2

They are going to make a lot of debt for their railway projects, a low Baht would make the debt very expensive