Man arrested in Bangkok for shooting a traffic policeman

webfact

Man arrested for shooting a traffic policeman

28-4-2558-17-04-53-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A man was arrested this morning in Bangkok after he shot and wounded a traffic policeman manning a temporary roadblock to tighten up traffic law enforcement.

The suspect, Anuparb Chunamdet, may face charge of attempted murder, obstruction of police in their performance of duty and carrying gun in public without a license.

The victim, acting sub-lieutenant Montra Intharachum of Wat Phryakrai police station, and a group of policemen set up a temporary roadblock on Rama III road to random check driving licenses of motorcyclists.

Anuparb and his friend showed up riding a motorbike toward the roadblock and was signalled to stop for spot check by Montra only to find himself fired upon by Anuparb before they sped away in the opposite direction.

The suspect who fired three times at the police officer claimed that he saw Montra trying to draw his handgun and decided to fire at him for self defence.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/man-arrested-for-shooting-a-traffic-policeman

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-04-28

Dont agree with violence or guns but...I recall the movie "Network" quote "I'm As Mad As Hell and I'm Not Gonna Take This Anymore!".vast majority of locals commuting to work in heavy traffic exhaust fume polluted air and temperatures 40°C just trying to make a living on low pay getting extorted by these guys for some imagined offence...

• Like 2

the general population is hearing so many stories of police involvment in vehicle theft, scams, blackmail, tea money, selective enforcement of law, protection of wealthy from justice for the working folks, etc expect more of this type of action.

the police have time to set up roadblock checks throughout the country, but have no time to answer a destress call, retrieve stolen goods when told/shown where they are, serve the public, etc. if it was not for the practice of paying informers for tips/info, the police would not solve enough crime to fill out a post it sticker on a full shift.

people may be at the point that they feel the general public can handle crowd/traffic control better than the clowns in brown thus the real wannabe cowboys will turn more agressive, including firearms rather than respond to police request to halt.

the action and inaction of the police over the past few years have certainly contributed to a loss in confidence for police, civil servents etc, in expecting fair, impartial treatment by any part of the thai legal system. there are enough disgruntled people out there, it may be coming back to bite them in the ar.e, which many deserve.

• Like 2

I guess he got tired of handing out gratuities to the cops

Makes me wonder why they always pick on the motorcycles and not the cars, vans and trucks?

Are the just fast easy targets?

I'm afraid that line of defence wouldn't help you much in court. Also one might wonder if the suspect Anuparb is in possession of a valid permit to carry a weapon. It would seem that lots of younger Thai carry but without the proper papers. Together with a macho attitude 'accidents' happen.

the general population is hearing so many stories of police involvment in vehicle theft, scams, blackmail, tea money, selective enforcement of law, protection of wealthy from justice for the working folks, etc expect more of this type of action.

the police have time to set up roadblock checks throughout the country, but have no time to answer a destress call, retrieve stolen goods when told/shown where they are, serve the public, etc. if it was not for the practice of paying informers for tips/info, the police would not solve enough crime to fill out a post it sticker on a full shift.

people may be at the point that they feel the general public can handle crowd/traffic control better than the clowns in brown thus the real wannabe cowboys will turn more agressive, including firearms rather than respond to police request to halt.

the action and inaction of the police over the past few years have certainly contributed to a loss in confidence for police, civil servents etc, in expecting fair, impartial treatment by any part of the thai legal system. there are enough disgruntled people out there, it may be coming back to bite them in the ar.e, which many deserve.

"people may be at the point that they feel the general public can handle crowd/traffic control better than the clowns in brown thus the real wannabe cowboys will turn more agressive, including firearms rather than respond to police request to halt."

... which will only cause the police to get more aggressive and unlawful as well - public enemy

I am not saying that the guy is not guilty / stupid, but remember that we only get the "sanitized" version of news reports in Thailand these days.

No matter the version, you do not shoot a cop and if you do you deal with the consequences which usually are not very bright

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Trying to draw" Seems he"s been watching too many westerns.

or, Thai soap operas where handguns are seen often.

Exactly. LoS is the hub of crackdowns, purges etc yet I've never heard of any plans to try and reduce the number of firearms that seem all too common.

Is this unofficial ' right to bear arms ' such a big deal that successive govts don't want to take it away, too much loss of face for the macho men and their image ?

The police man should not have drawn first.. didn't he know this guy is the quickest draw in the Rama III.

Reading this story it could be out of a western movie.

"Anuparb and his friend showed up riding a horse toward the roadblock and was signalled to stop for spot check by Montra only to find himself fired upon by Anuparb before they rode away in the opposite direction.

The suspect who fired three times at the police officer claimed that he saw Montra trying to draw his handgun and decided to fire at him for self defence."

Edited by wow64

I guess he got tired of handing out gratuities to the cops

Makes me wonder why they always pick on the motorcycles and not the cars, vans and trucks?

Are the just fast easy targets?

Ever wonder why motorcycles are prohibited from using flyovers at most major intersections? Now you know...no effect on traffic flow to stop all the bikes and steal 100 baht from each at the signal...institutionalized robbery, you bet.