Thai opinion: Foes become friends as politics TURNS ON A DIME

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
Foes become friends as politics TURNS ON A DIME

BANGKOK: -- The old adage that there are no real friends or permanent foes in politics applies to our post-coup, military-controlled situation as well. Criticise or scold Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha all you like, but he seems to have succeeded where democracy repeatedly failed. His charter draft (well, the pronoun is a bit judgmental because Prayut can always say he didn't write it) is nudging rival parties closer together, and that's a good sign in my book.

Am I biased against the draft constitution being debated in the interim national assembly? Let me be clear on one thing: It's my sincere, unwavering opinion that we Thais can produce the best charter the world has ever seen - and yet we'll still be screwed. What the current draft looks like, therefore, doesn't matter much as long as people don't change. I, for one, was over the moon when the 1997 "People's Charter" was enacted, introducing what appeared to be a formidable anti-graft mechanism, laying down tough measures to deter vote-buying, promoting civil rights like never before and unprecedentedly guarding against political conflicts of interests. What happened next? Well, I grew up.

Whatever Prayut might have been wrong about, he is right about one thing. Risking being branded a hypocrite, he calls Thailand a nation where self-serving rhetoric reigns supreme and little else matters. "It's not helpful when people say we shouldn't look at the cost when doing something for the poor," he said. "What's the point of even asking if the poor don't have the right to own cars?"

He was taking aim at "populism", obviously. A response, or so it seems, from Thaksin Shinawatra's son was just as biting. "Don't bother writing new rules to make it better," Panthongtae said on Facebook. "Let's just do what my dad suggested. We stick with all the good, unbiased principles and add just one clause to the new constitution. That clause should say, 'No Shinawatra shall ever be allowed to play politics.'"

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has joined the fray, and he made it look like a free-for-all. He still lambasted the "Thaksin system", but he insisted that Prayut was being led astray by anti-Thaksin obsessions. "You should be afraid of the Thaksin system, yes, but you shouldn't be afraid of democracy," Abhisit told reporters. The proposed charter, he feels, wouldn't be good for democracy.

So, we will do what Abhisit suggested - take Thaksin out of the equation. What do we have left, then? We have the two biggest political parties - for long at each other's throats - closer to being united against the draft charter, supported by Prayut, though he never said so out loud. (This is assuming that Panthongtae was reflecting the prevailing thought in Pheu Thai Party, although he officially has no position in it.)

It's definitely premature to say that the two parties are a few Prayut outbursts away from being reconciled. But we are seeing a faint light at the end of the tunnel. Again, we have to marvel at the ancient wisdom. The Democrat and Pheu Thai parties are like "Grandpa In" and "Grandpa Na" in that famous folktale, who quarrelled over a fish until "Grandpa Yoo" stepped in as judge and walked away with the best part of the fish to compensate for time lost in arbitration.

What are the common worries of the Democrats and Pheu Thai? They are afraid that the "party system" would be weakened because the charter draft allows for an "outsider" to be premier, for virtually independent candidates to compete in elections, and for selection panels to replace politicians in appointing top-level bureaucrats. It's debatable as to whether the Democrat Party or Pheu Thai has more to lose. Pheu Thai might be expecting that more or less, whereas the Democrats could take one look at the draft and drop all the champagne bottles.

If you think the Democrats coming out guns blazing against the military is unimaginable, check out the 1991 coup, the 1992 uprising and all the related turmoil. The '91 coup was against the Chatichai Choonhavan administration, but the coalition partners, initially targeted in a corruption crackdown, made a U-turn later to support and be part of a military-backed government. The Democrats, in the opposition when the coup occurred, decried this development and turned against the unlikely alliance.

The Democrats grabbed political power after the 1992 uprising, but then Chamlong Srimuang became a destabilising factor, handing control of his Palang Dharma Party to Thaksin, who would later alienate Chamlong and propel him into the People's Alliance for Democracy. These activists next led a street campaign against Thaksin, until Army chief General Sonthi Boonyarat-glin, ousted the Thaksin government in the 2006 coup. Sonthi would in 2012, without actually admitting anything, play politics and advocate Pheu Thai efforts to grant Thaksin amnesty.

Does this sound like a cheap political drama written by a drunkard? For all the rhetoric that Prayut sees plaguing politics, the above two paragraphs contain only facts. So much for "ideological" strife.

You might then ask why it's a good sign that the Democrat and Pheu Thai parties now seem more unified. After all, what's good for them isn't necessarily good for Thailand, is it? Well, my "good sign" doesn't necessarily mean the whole country would benefit.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Foes-become-friends-as-politics-TURNS-ON-A-DIME-30258960.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-04-29

• Like 2

Well written article, I'm actually amazed by the understanding of what has happened and what is happening. There is still hope for Thailand if they can get people with a brain and national pride to run for office. And stop this" ME" position that prevails here. Or as JFK once said in a speech:" Ask not what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country" Nuff said.

Edited by Strangebrew
  • Like 2

"Don't bother writing new rules to make it better," Panthongtae said on Facebook. "Let's just do what my dad suggested. We stick with all the good, unbiased principles and add just one clause to the new constitution. That clause should say, 'No Shinawatra shall ever be allowed to play politics.'"

This would never work. The Shins would just change their name, and conduct business as usual. Just see how many passports your father is holding.

• Like 1

Finding common ground for the sake of self-interest, nothing more than that. I'll start believing these lowies are working for the people when a few of them fall on their swords and confess to their crimes over rice schemes (plural), land grabbing, infrastructure etc. Or when a few of them martyr themselves - risk two years in jail by standing up to the military. These are things the people truly understand as being signs of honour, dignity and integrity. I don't recall any clubbing together when the 97 charter was drafted, but I recall some protests over the tightened controls on graft.

• Like 1

"What's the point of even asking if the poor don't have the right to own cars?" Yes they should have the right to own a car if they can afford it but most important there should be free education for children. My g/f sister has 2 kids and she is hurting and has to scrape up 10,000 bahts a year for their education plus school bus fares and some money for meals and uniforms. Giving kids a free education is an investment in the future of the country.

• Like 2

I was going to make an anti-Abhisit comment like he got exactly what he asked for - permanent removal of all shinwatras - and now he complains.

But I just realised that Abhisit seems to truly have had no idea that the military and General Prayut would completely destroy all freedoms and democracy from thailand once and for all. Did he really think the military were the "good guys"? Judging from his comments it appears he was clueless.

Edited by Time Traveller
  • Like 1

"What's the point of even asking if the poor don't have the right to own cars?" Yes they should have the right to own a car if they can afford it but most important there should be free education for children. My g/f sister has 2 kids and she is hurting and has to scrape up 10,000 bahts a year for their education plus school bus fares and some money for meals and uniforms. Giving kids a free education is an investment in the future of the country.

You badly need to do some research on the Thai education system as it's free up to age 17 - Mathayom 6.

It doesn't include uniforms and bus transport but a basic meal is provided.

It only applies to government-run schools obviously so it seems your g/f's sister is sending her kids to a private school.

• Like 1

How could a drug taking exam cheat become PM of Thailand? His daddy could put him on his party list, and after election tell his bought politicians who to vote for.

So who needs reforms?

Who said he wanted to be PM? Don't you have another record you could play, all that hate will make you a bitter old man ?

Maybe instead of your usual anti Thaksin rants you could offer you're opinion of the article itself?

I thought it was pretty good, and pretty spot on how about your good self?

"what's good for them isn't necessarily good for Thailand, is it?"

Since the PTP and Democrats at the last election together captured 95% of the electorate, I'd say that was a strong endorsement that those two political parties DO represent what is good for the majority of Thais. Yet, both have been refused a role in actually writing a new constitution. And it is likely that General Prayut will not allow the draft 2014 constitution to go to a public referendum. He knows better than to test the popularity of both parties against the coup leadership.

• Like 1