Thailand not prepared for another massive earthquake, experts say

webfact

What a ridiculous statement. There isn't a city in the world prepared for a 'massive' earthquake. Some prepare better than others, but when you get in the 8+ RS range, serious problems are gonna happen, right along with the discovery of serious flaws in the design and construction of 'earth-quake proof' structures. Think Oakland 1989. I was there.

Edited by connda

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...frickin stupid....tell me one country that is EVER prepared for an earthquake....what a mindless world it has become

Scottie...is that transporter working yet?

Less bad attitude and a little more thought is in order here I think.

Many places have prepared for earthquakes.

In California, where I come from there have been very strict building codes that are enforced that keep earthquake damage and loss of life to a minimum.

There are also restrictions on where new buildings can be constructed .

Without these building restrictions in place, the damage and loss of life would be many times greater than it is.

People are instructed on how to prepare survival kits described by other posters in this thread.

They are also educated about where to go and what to do in the event of a large quake

This is called being prepared for an earthquake.

No, no one knows how to stop quake, but you can be ready for one and reduce damage and increase safety.

Frigin Stupid is the guy who lives in your bathroom...check the mirror and take a good look at himcoffee1.gif

They are also educated about where to go and what to do in the event of a large quake. Yeppery Bob. Ya'll head to the SuperDome. The guberment will take guud care o' ya'll.

Some people ignore history at their own peril. lol

Edited by connda

Built our house in Mae Lao , Chiang Rai. We put in 57 3 metre concrete piers into the ground and then put our pads (2.5x2.5)on top of them .They are not connected to the concrete piers just resting on them . We use 20 mm rebar in and the footing construction as well. We use a truss roof system also. I dont know if this is good enough our engineer said it would be OK . Who knows ?

...frickin stupid....tell me one country that is EVER prepared for an earthquake....what a mindless world it has become

Scottie...is that transporter working yet?

Less bad attitude and a little more thought is in order here I think.

Many places have prepared for earthquakes.

In California, where I come from there have been very strict building codes that are enforced that keep earthquake damage and loss of life to a minimum.

There are also restrictions on where new buildings can be constructed .

Without these building restrictions in place, the damage and loss of life would be many times greater than it is.

People are instructed on how to prepare survival kits described by other posters in this thread.

They are also educated about where to go and what to do in the event of a large quake

This is called being prepared for an earthquake.

No, no one knows how to stop quake, but you can be ready for one and reduce damage and increase safety.

Frigin Stupid is the guy who lives in your bathroom...check the mirror and take a good look at himcoffee1.gif

They are also educated about where to go and what to do in the event of a large quake. Yeppery Bob. Ya'll head to the SuperDome. The guberment will take guud care o' ya'll.

Some people ignore history at their own peril. lol

"They are also educated about where to go and what to do in the event of a large quake."

I guess I was not clear enough for some of you.

I am saying they are educated about how to take care of themselves.

Things like , what parts of a building structurally provide the most protection, like doorways and bathrooms.

Things like not running outside during a quake.

Things like getting emergence supplies together before the quake hits..

​Things like knowing where and how to turn off the gas to your house to help prevent fires after the quake.

As for the "SUPERDOME", I believe that was about a hurricane? ( I know it was, I was flown back east the day Hurricane Katrina hit to assist in reestablishing the utility systems in Florida and spent a month doing so)

My post has nothing to do with the incompetence of the Bush administration and the failures of his friend in charge of FEMA.

Some people do not ignore history...they never bother to learn it...and they still spout off!