BMA plans at least 12 cycling activities this year

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration plans to organize at least 12 major bike ridings in the capital this year to promote the use of bicycles and to discourage motorists from driving, a deputy BMA governor said.

Deputy BMA Governor Amorn Kijchawengkul said the planned riding activities are part of the BMA’s plan to make Bangkok Car Free Day 2015 sustainable.

He said the activities are aimed at creating networks of cyclists so that motorists would turn to use bikes and public transportations more often that would in turn contribute to reduction of oil usage, global warming, and, most of all, traffic congestion in the capital.

Among the major cycling activities, the Bangkok Car Free Day 2015 riding will be held on November 15. Earlier than that, the BMA will hold a riding activity on September 22 to campaign for the people to park their vehicles at home, Amorn said.

The BMA will also hold a riding activity on August 9 on the occasion of National Mother Day, which actually falls on August 8, to honor Her Majesty the Queen. And on November 29, another cycling activity will be held to honor His Majesty the King.

Other riding activities will be held on the nine beautiful riding routes in Bangkok on May 7, June 7 and 21, July 19, August 8 and 30, and October 4 and 18.

Amorn added that Bangkok now has 31 bike lanes with total distance of 232 kilometers. The BMA is now developing 30 more bike lanes with total distance of 100 kms.

Surely the BMA must have more pressing concerns.

Or have they declared Mission Accomplished on things like garbage collection, even pavements, low-hanging obstacles, flood mitigation, building code certification?

Amazing Thailand.

The previous govt brought in the first car buyers scheme to encourage people to use cars which saw record numbers of cars purchased and traffic jams increase.

3 years later the new govt (and rightly so) encourage people to stop using cars and encourage alternate "green" forms of transport.

Well done on the BMA to encourage this and I hope it gains traction and is embraced by Bangkokians.

Other riding activities will be held on the nine beautiful riding routes in Bangkok on May 7

I'm interested. Any details, or are they just teasing us?

Usually, I read about these things while they're happening, or after they've happened. I never seem to get the memo before they happen so I can actually participate...