Animal lovers warned of Facebook scams

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Many scammers have been preying on animal lovers’ sympathy on the Internet through calls for donations that they claim will go to the treatment of abused or injured dogs.

Thai Animal Guardians Association’s secretary general Roger Lohanan has told Post Today that some scammers could get up to millions of baht.

“One photo showing an injured dog can attract the attention of thousands of people on the Internet. Of them, a huge number transfer money to the bank account mentioned in that photo post in the hope of helping the poor animal. But the problem is the message of the post is not always real,” Roger said.

He said scammers usually gave the bank account number without mentioning the exact treatment cost, and they would not update the animals’ conditions.

“These scammers have made a lot of money because people fail to check information well first,” Roger said.

This animal-rights advocate suggested that people should contact the person who says he or she is taking care of the animal in need and ask how much donation they have got to date. And once they provide the answer, he recommended making a request that they show the figure on passbook.

“If they fall silent, don’t donate money,” he said.

Wirat Wangpitipanich, a prominent lawyer, says launching a deceptive donation campaign was a legal offence. Offenders face up to three years in jail and/or a maximum fine of Bt6,000.

Midroad Lover Project’s manager Kannikar Meephan urges victims to come forward and pursue actions against such scammers to the end.

“It’s a way to stop them from preying on people's sympathy,” she said.

3 years jail or 6000 bht fine, yep that would be a difficult decision for the perps, that huge fine of 6000bht will surely deter further offenders who are raking in bags of cash

Sarcasm I love it.clap2.gif

Do you think they actually believe the 6,000 baht fine will make an iota of difference?whistling.gif

If they admit they are guilty will it be cut in half?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

And once they provide the answer, he recommended making a request that they show the figure on passbook.

If the gullible are directing money to some bank account, showing a page from the scammer's bank account isn't proof of anything except that other gullible people have already sent him some money.

If it's a local operation, ask to visit their facility and/or google them to see what pops up. There are organizations in some countries that monitor charities. Check with one of them.

If it all remains uncertain, whatever you were going to donate, give to one of the well recognized animal groups in Thailand. That way you know some animals will benefit even if it isn't the one shown in some solicitation.

3 years jail or 6000 bht fine, yep that would be a difficult decision for the perps, that huge fine of 6000bht will surely deter further offenders who are raking in bags of cash

Sarcasm I love it.clap2.gif

Do you think they actually believe the 6,000 baht fine will make an iota of difference?whistling.gif

If they admit they are guilty will it be cut in half?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

And how 6000 baht even equates to anything like 3 years in jail, I have no idea. Make it a million baht fine minimum....The three years in jail is for the very poor who can't pay the 6K. The wealthy take the money option....they are rarely jailed anywaylaugh.png

• Like 1

Wanted yo buy a lab puppy in pattaya so i did a search on the expat classifides and every puppy owner wanted to send the dog for me overseas to thailand. Just send 6k baht to this account which is the shipping company. And then a guy called me up with a thick african accent telling me he was australian and in hospital with a cardio disease. What city mate? didnt even know a major one in australia. Turd turd turd. He was probably residing in pattaya as well.