Change Of Visa From Old Passport Into New

Hi,

Just wondering, tomorrow I need to transfer my Thai visa from my old expired British passport into my new one - is this simply a case of turning up and waiting for a few minutes? Or will I have to leave both passports there and go back later? And, finally, is there a fee for them to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

AFAIK all that they transfer is your current permitted to stay stamp. Believe it is still done while you wait and that there is no fee involved. Believe you have to make a number of photo copies however so you might stop across the street from immigration and ask them as they seem to know what is required for each action or you may have to make an extra trip.

I cant rememebr if there was a small charge or not, but I can tell you it was quick and simple. When i went in January I went up to a small room on one of the upper floors. There was no que. The officer simply stamped my new passport and that was that. I found out which copies I needed etc. directly from the Thai Immigration Dept. web site.

I cant rememebr if there was a small charge or not, but I can tell you it was quick and simple. When i went in January I went up to a small room on one of the upper floors. There was no que. The officer simply stamped my new passport and that was that. I found out which copies I needed etc. directly from the Thai Immigration Dept. web site.

When you say you needed copies, copies of what exactly? Pages in the old passport?

The Immigration web site does not provide the copy requirements that I can find. At any rate if you do not have them you will just have to make a trip downstairs/across road and make (don't believe there is any copy shop in Immigration at present, although sometimes there is). I would stop at copy shop first as they seem to be well aware of what is required. The following is from Official Immigration web site:

Transfer of visa to new passport in case of expired or full passport

Relevant laws and regulations

1979 immigration act

Required documents

Expired or full passport

New passport

Request by Embassy to the Immigration Bureau to transfer the visa to the new passport

Procedure

In case of foreign national without application for extension of stay or residence in the Kingdom:

Contact sub-section 2, Bangkok Immigration Division, Immigration Bureau to write the request and fill in the relevant information, including name, surname, passport number, date of arrival, and flight number.

Check the details and the correctness of the information and the completeness of the new passport or other travel document.

Check the evidence of arrival in the Kingdom by computer or with the arrival card (TM. 6) to make sure the applicant has entered the Kingdom legally.

If there is evidence of legal entry to the Kingdom, the visa will be transferred to the new passport.

In case of foreign national with application for extension of stay or residence in the Kingdom:

Contact the respective sections according to the visa type or sub-section 1, Bangkok Immigration Division, Immigration Bureau, according to circumstances, in order to write the request to transfer the visa to a new passport. Proceed according to step 3.1.2 above.

Note

The following information must be provided: Passport or travel document number, place and date of issue, visa type, port and mode of arrival, date of arrival (first date of arrival) and admission period, reason for changing passport or travel document and transferring visa stamp.

In case of foreign national with application for residence in the Kingdom, the date of application for residence as well as the consideration period must be given. If during the consideration period a re-entry permit was issued and the applicant has left and re-entered the country, evidence of the most recent arrival must be given.

Thanks footfall, will do.

Went today, got a new visa which is more than just the normal entry stamp, but a whole page stamp with bits filled in by hand in Thai. No sticker though, but still a whole page used up.

I needed photocopies of pages from the old passport, which was complicated slightly by my visa being on a different page to the stamp - so if you're also in this position make sure you get both pages copied. Plus the photo page of course.

Easy enough process all in all.

Hi,

Just wondering, tomorrow I need to transfer my Thai visa from my old expired British passport into my new one - is this simply a case of turning up and waiting for a few minutes? Or will I have to leave both passports there and go back later? And, finally, is there a fee for them to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

If you have a multiple re entry permit in your old passport, it also needs to be moved to your new passport....