The swimming pool on the 20th floor of our condo building is leaking

vision2014

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pool should be emptied right away. Then all tiles need to be removed along with a good bit of the concrete shell.

After that new concrete with adequate water stop needs to be applied and the whole thing needs to be retiled.

It is going to be costly and will cause lots of inconvenience. I would recon minimal cost per square meter to be around 3000 baht,all in.

Alternatively you could remove the existing pool and replace with a fiberglass pool. Much depends on size.

Don't wait with draining the pool. Wet walls can reach lower floors unnoticed and will cause the steel to corrode, damaging structural integrity.

Edited by StefanBBK

Beachfront land in Pattaya cost about 100mil b per rai. If they build the pool on the ground tex. 10x10m it is 1/4 rai=25mil b. only for the land.

I think, this is the reason, they will build the pool on rooftop.

And the weight of this amount of water if the pool is 2m deep is 200ton.

Same as you have 200 small cars on the roof.

Edited by jiipii

so many holes in that argument

does it have system to use the water for firefighting? or are buckets the order of the day

who will control that system? you, a thai security guard?

what if the fires on the 9th floor?

who pays if the system breaks and some get flood damage?

I'm not a firefighter, but I have worked with them in the past.

At least in the west, AFAIK, firefighters have the ability to place portable high capacity pumps into water reservoirs like swimming pools, and use them as a firefighting water source when no other source is available. Doing so doesn't require any fancy, pre-installed infrastructure.

That's done pretty commonly in cases of post earthquake fires, where water lines may have been ruptured, and even in urban forest fire situations. Firefighters will use pumping a house's pool water to spray down the house's roof in an attempt to prevent the spread of fire through airborne burning embers.

When the water source is accessible at ground level like a house's swimming pool, fire department's pumper trucks can simply run hoses from the pool to the truck, and then pump from the truck out through their hoses. When the water source is inaccessible to their trucks and hoses, portable pumps can be used.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I have never been a believer in rooftop swimming pools and it seems to me that this particular one has not been lined properly I am afraid it will have to be drained and inspected and repaired and the cost should be shouldered by the establishment

can never understand why any place would want all that weight of water, concret and extra steel on the roof ?

most people with even half a brain would put a pool in the ground...where it belongs.

You just forget this kind of project has nearly no land. sad.png

They don't have space enough for a pool "near" the condo, so they put it "on" it

and then make a selling argument of it: A wonderful sea view top/high floor pool rolleyes.gif

The-Vision-Condo-Pattaya.002-001.jpg

what a retarded idea,,,,

most people with even half a brain would put a pool in the ground...where it belongs.

the structure on these three towers is the famous pool of the Marina Bay Hotel in Singapore. one of the thousands of hotels and condominiums worldwide which have a pool on the top or on the higher floors.

retarded? hmmm... whistling.gif

image.img.png

15197605.jpg

There's nothing intrinsically bad about having a roof-top pool, assuming that it is built subject to proper inspection and correct design.

The problem in Thailand is the often shoddy nature of building work and its random supervision, and that's what puts me off anything at all complex here.

Maybe the first step is to make them drain the pool, before there is further damage.

How is the expert going to find the leak in a dry pool?

Water damage. Key word is 'expert'. facepalm.gif

Empty the pool. Am I missing something here? If the thing is leaking why do you still have water in it?

Any inconvenience that emptying the pool may cause is far outweighted by the inconvenience of it leaking down on the condo's below and who knows what other kind of problems until it's fixed.

Ahhh, it might be hard to find the leak if the pool is emptied, no?

So you want it to keep leaking into the condo's?? That's your solution...lol. I'm sure the condo owners below the pool are happy about that.

Just follow the mold and mildew. You can also put some water back in when you find someone capable of finding the leak. Obviously they are not having much luck doing that on their own right now with a full pool.

Edited by lapd

The swimming pool in our village sprung a leak about two months after the developers had built it. We took them to court and they were ordered to fix it. After much argument in and out fo court they did another rubbish job and it leaked even more than before. Now we've been told that a proper repair job will cost around 1.6 million Baht so we're back in court. The developers just don't seem to care, never mind that their reputation suffers, and they know (from past experience probably) that they can drag the matter out in a Thai court for ever and a day. There's no way the village can afford to stump up the 1.6 million Baht so the current plan is to get a court order allowing us to auction off one of the developer's unsold properties in the village and use the money to fix the pool. Maybe if they did a better job of building things in the first place there wouldn't be any unsold houses left.

Forget about the pool I would be worrying about the construction quality of the homes the villagers live in including yours. I have seen Thai workmanship first hand and its grab the money and run and the banks that put up the money for the project don't care either. I think they give you a 1 year warranty but again after you have paid him he really doesn't care.

Yes, most houses have had some problems, big or small, that they only found out about after they moved in. I don;t know if that's common, but as peopel haev said shoddy Thai construction is very common here. The developers have refused to take responsibility for fixing these problems, the most they will do is to arrange for some contractors to come and fix it but the house owners have to pay for it themselves. Given that these are probably the same shoddy people who caused the problems in the first place I've used my own people to fix things when need be.

One Thai lady moved in a few houses away just after me. She had the usual water tank installed on the path at the back of her house. As they filled it with water suddenly the whole thing dropped down into the ground. The drain was badly built from the cheapest materials and just collapsed. That's a very common problem here. Crappy electrical cabling is another issue, but then it was in the condo where I lived before. There's a Thai builder lives in the vilage and he has five houses here. Once he's bought a place he literally guts it down to the concrete ring frame and then completely rebuilds it. Expensive but at least he knows it's been done properly.

I fixed a lot of pools.

Aint gonna find the leak if it's drained.

Then why don't you go there and find the leak Mr. pool leak expert. Obviously that is not happening now. Do you think the leak is going to find itself by just letting it continue to leak?

Edited by lapd

I fixed a lot of pools.

Then why don't you go there and find the leak Mr. pool leak expert. Obviously that is not happening now. Do you think the leak is going to find itself by just letting it continue to leak?

Correct.

The leak will find itself. The water will stop leaking when it reaches the level of the leak.

If the water is not gushing out, have the maintenece staff mop up until it stops leaking.

Wallah. There it is.

I fixed a lot of pools.

Correct.

The leak will find itself. The water will stop leaking when it reaches the level of the leak.

If the water is not gushing out, have the maintenece staff mop up until it stops leaking.

Wallah. There it is.

Wallah. There it is.

cheesy.gif