Hallelujah! A Food Court That's Not All Thai... At Last!

JimShortz

Don't get me wrong, I like Thai food. But, I eat it at least once most days and I do like some variety in my life too. Thais it seems, do not, at least where food is concerned. I am sick and tired of food courts with the same old menu of standard Thai dishes.

Having recently visited Malaysia and seen an Asian neighbour having wonderful food courts with food from all over the world, I have been hoping Thailand might move that way too... Well...

Yesterday evening I discovered a wonderful new outdoor food court just off the Night Bazaar road. It has been created with some style and creativity (no, honestly!), with food from all over the world, and even beer and cocktails too.

I can't remember all that is there, but for sure: Great Indian Food (Mama's Kitchen has relocated here), steaks/salad/fries, pizza, burgers, Japanese curries, other Japanese food, a squid place, gyoza place, a pad Thai place, other Thai food place, milk bar, smoothie bar, alcohol free mohitos bar, real cocktail bar...

It doesn't begin to open until about 6pm and the attached photos were taken then, with some places still closed - it is still Thailand after all!

If you enter Changklan from the Thai Phae end it is about 100m on the right. You can drive right in and part behind the back of the food court area. It is at Google Maps ref: 18.786641, 99.000658 (paste the numbers into the Google Maps search bar).

ENJOY - go support it. Don't risk losing it... thumbsup.gif

post-65768-0-03442700-1430536764_thumb.jpost-65768-0-55431600-1430536773_thumb.jpost-65768-0-53663700-1430536783_thumb.j

This looks like heaven for those 40 baht a day boys!!! coffee1.gif

Why the "boys"? Because you can afford more, that makes you a man? A little dysfunctional man, perhaps? Not everyone was born into wealth like some people or got lucky to either have great parents or great teachers! Maybe you should read Outliers from Malcom Gladwell and learn about humility!

Why the "boys"? Because you can afford more, that makes you a man? A little dysfunctional man, perhaps? Not everyone was born into wealth like some people or got lucky to either have great parents or great teachers! Maybe you should read Outliers from Malcom Gladwell and learn about humility!

I wasn't born into wealth, very much the opposite. The school I went to had dysfunctional teachers. My parents never gave much guidance either. However, I have worked my baws off and become very comfortable. You sound a trifle agitated... or perhaps very insecure?

Looks like it could be fun and if it is only 40 baht all the better. I'm going to give it a go so thanks to the OP for telling us as well as providing photos.

Well it is a fact we do have are share and more of the trust fund babies. But even they should be able to appreciate a good meal even if it is cheap. What is bad is the people struggling to make it here eating at the high price places to look good. I definitely am going to try it out. Years ago that is where I met my wife.

With such a response above, I am amazed at you suggesting the poster learn about humility!

You appear to be making assumptions and we all know what 'assume' really means, don't we?

I wasn't born into wealth, very much the opposite. The school I went to had dysfunctional teachers. My parents never gave much guidance either. However, I have worked my baws off and become very comfortable. You sound a trifle agitated... or perhaps very insecure?

Agree. I have met very few foreigners here over the decades that were born into wealth, frankly the opposite. The wealthy go else where. There are many ways to better yourself in the west, poor choices can have a big impact which are independent of school and social economic class.

I got enough hair on my a## to knit you a sweater, and you call me "boy" for eating 40 THB meals? FYI, I did Tom Yum Gai pretty late last night, and it was made with chicken breast cut right off the whole chicken. It was actually 35 THB, and the people that run it are friendly and clean. I wouldn't trade it for a plate of the highly touted Sunday British Barf on a cold day in He##. Overcooked frozen veggies from China? Really? There were enough attractive and eligible Thai ladies enjoying a meal there to have a beauty pageant.

Does paying 10 times more for something like this really make you better?

post-227967-0-36351700-1430547762_thumb.

Edited by bangmai

Ugh. Veal meat. But the red wine looks tasty.

And what is wrong with horse meat? Millions eat that meat daily and many even enjoy donkey meat which i have eaten in china. I love the donkey burgers served on english muffins with chopped peppers. What do you, the anti horse meat guy, think should happen to all the old tired horses, and donkeys, of the world after they have served mankind? Rot in a hole in the ground, fed to the dogs or zoo lions?

Raising beef for humans causes more ecological trouble than any horse or donkey trade. Hey, dog meat OK too.

Thanks - will maybe take a look one day.

And to all the whingers and whackos who 'come out' at any excuse - shove it where the sun doesn't shine.

Looks nice,

My problem with ''Food Courts'' here i just wish there was some that had '''Healthy Options'' , as in, Less Sugar and Less Salt... , and even if they do have a Salad bar, its very very Basic...

Oh well maybe one day.....

Thanks for the heads-up! I love mixed food courts, and you're right, Chiang Mai really doesn't have 'em! Let's hope this is the start of something new!

When I think of 'food court,' I like to think about the sort I used to see in the mega-malls in the US, with Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Indian, etc., several of them the mixed buffet style, (i.e. choose 3 different items from a choice of 10) with perhaps a McDs, BurgerKing, and a Subway thrown in to round out the palate.

This place, assuming the foods are good, gets my vote over an all Thai court every time!

Agree. I have met very few foreigners here over the decades that were born into wealth, frankly the opposite. The wealthy go else where. There are many ways to better yourself in the west, poor choices can have a big impact which are independent of school and social economic class.

I have a PhD (honors) in poor choices.

Maybe you have, maybe you haven't, but it's very unlikely anyone on here will ever know which is true. wink.png