Street Beggars

STEALTH K3

Definitely a mafia business, and we try to manage and remove the ppl in our district when they are around. We got rid of the farang beggar with the sign as well. Cheeky sod.

Do you mean the guy who "just needs a few hundred baht for his ticket home"? He's still here. I saw him at BTS Siam Square at the weekend.

As for a mafia controlling the beggars, yes I believe it's true. I travel to different areas of Bangkok each day and have noticed at least 3 beggars who take it in turns to sit at the same places. The places are as far apart as Petchaburi Road, Silom and Soi Ari.

One of them, an old lady, has only one leg and the stump on the other leg is bandaged and has a spot of "blood" seeping out. I have seen her for about 3 years now with exactly the same spot of blood.

Another, a blind man, has huge loudspeakers and can be heard singing at least 30 meters away.

Another woman sits and bangs away at some kind of bells.

These 3 beggars take it in turns at sitting at exactly the same spots in 3 different areas but are never there together. How can some blind man drag 50kg of equipment across Bangkok from day to day.

Also, today I noticed a beggar setting up some electronic keyboards with huge speakers on top of a footbridge. How can they afford such equipment?

Petedk(er du dansk?) There is no Mafia, find a begger who speaks english or if you speak thai, then buy them a mal for 40B and give it to one that you can talk to and you will find that it NOT what you WANT to THINK. This way , especially when you talk to more than 25,That I have, then you know it's nothing but a scream for help-I'll admit there are SOME PHONIES out there, even a lot of farang, try there luck. But the mainstream are the Humble ones, just ask them, they pick those areas cause it where the most people with $$ are of course. If you needed to beg wouldn't you also find the best place for it?

Hi SamuiJens

(Nej jeg er ikke dansk men englaender)

Yes you are right there are many genuine beggars out there and I have also helped some of them. There is especially one crazy woman who sits and screams her head off sometimes. Other times she is quite calm and friendly and I often buy her a bowl of noodles or some other food.

I guess it's a case of finding the genuine beggars and not the mafia placed people.

(To you Jens I can also add that I met a few beggars around Noerreport Station in Copenhagen.)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Captain is right about begging gangs in prime locations. This topic has been investigated numerous times over the years by the Post and Nation, government agencies, and NGOs. For an example, follow the link posted by Meadish Sweetball on page 3 of this thread. These gangs are ruthless and exploit disabled people and babies. As someone else pointed out, many of the beggars are not even Thai, but are primarily Cambodians. I am sure many Thais give because they genuinely feel for the beggars, but for many it is a function of making merit by giving to the poor. I think a better reaction to this situation would be to give to a legitimate charity that deals with the poor. If you are giving to beggars in any downtown location in Bangkok you are almost certainly enabling the gangs that exploit these people.

Edited by qualtrough

Definitely a mafia business, and we try to manage and remove the ppl in our district when they are around. We got rid of the farang beggar with the sign as well. Cheeky sod.

Do you mean the guy who "just needs a few hundred baht for his ticket home"? He's still here. I saw him at BTS Siam Square at the weekend.

As for a mafia controlling the beggars, yes I believe it's true. I travel to different areas of Bangkok each day and have noticed at least 3 beggars who take it in turns to sit at the same places. The places are as far apart as Petchaburi Road, Silom and Soi Ari.

One of them, an old lady, has only one leg and the stump on the other leg is bandaged and has a spot of "blood" seeping out. I have seen her for about 3 years now with exactly the same spot of blood.

Another, a blind man, has huge loudspeakers and can be heard singing at least 30 meters away.

These 3 beggars take it in turns at sitting at exactly the same spots in 3 different areas but are never there together. How can some blind man drag 50kg of equipment across Bangkok from day to day.

Also, today I noticed a beggar setting up some electronic keyboards with huge speakers on top of a footbridge. How can they afford such equipment?

Petedk(er du dansk?) There is no Mafia, find a begger who speaks english or if you speak thai, then buy them a mal for 40B and give it to one that you can talk to and you will find that it NOT what you WANT to THINK. This way , especially when you talk to more than 25,That I have, then you know it's nothing but a scream for help-I'll admit there are SOME PHONIES out there, even a lot of farang, try there luck. But the mainstream are the Humble ones, just ask them, they pick those areas cause it where the most people with $$ are of course. If you needed to beg wouldn't you also find the best place for it?

Let's review. You spoke with approximately 25 beggars and they told you they are not part of any organized gang? Of course they would tell you if they were under the influence of a gang, so I guess that settles the issue...

Let's review. You spoke with approximately 25 beggars and they told you they are not part of any organized gang? Of course they would tell you if they were under the influence of a gang, so I guess that settles the issue...

In full agreement, qualtrough.... no organized gangs of beggars at ALL, except "some phonies".... the 25 beggars prove it conclusively...

post-9005-1157787957.gif

:o

The Captain is right about begging gangs in prime locations. This topic has been investigated numerous times over the years by the Post and Nation, government agencies, and NGOs. For an example, follow the link posted by Meadish Sweetball on page 3 of this thread. These gangs are ruthless and exploit disabled people and babies. As someone else pointed out, many of the beggars are not even Thai, but are primarily Cambodians. I am sure many Thais give because they genuinely feel for the beggars, but for many it is a function of making merit by giving to the poor. I think a better reaction to this situation would be to give to a legitimate charity that deals with the poor. If you are giving to beggars in any downtown location in Bangkok you are almost certainly enabling the gangs that exploit these people.

Give you're $$ to charities and at the most 15% gets to the ones that NEED IT, THEY ARE THE MAFIA. Check out how much $$ gets to the needy by charity, maybe "theCambodens" learned from them.

Give you're $$ to charities and at the most 15% gets to the ones that NEED IT, THEY ARE THE MAFIA. Check out how much $$ gets to the needy by charity, maybe "theCambodens" learned from them.

SamuiJens-Meadish Sweetball provided a link to a site that cites a study by the International Labor Organization (ILO) on the child begging racket in Bangkok as well as an article from the Sydney Morning Herald. You can also find additional information on the Stop-Childbegging site at http://www.stop-childbegging.org/. It is in Thai, but since you have apparently conducted in-depth research on more than 25 beggars in Thailand that should pose no problem for you. This is just one portion of the begging racket as practiced in Bangkok and elsewhere.

OK now, some of us have provided links to actual research and reports documenting this practice. Can you please do the same for your 15% figure? Is that just a few charities, or all charities? Would Father Joe and his work in Klong Toey fall under that category? Have you ever visited his center there? Are small NGOs working closely with the poor, including beggars, included in your 15% figure? We eagerly await your documentation.

SamuiJens-Meadish Sweetball provided a link to a site that cites a study by the International Labor Organization (ILO) on the child begging racket in Bangkok as well as an article from the Sydney Morning Herald. You can also find additional information on the Stop-Childbegging site at http://www.stop-childbegging.org/. It is in Thai, but since you have apparently conducted in-depth research on more than 25 beggars in Thailand that should pose no problem for you. This is just one portion of the begging racket as practiced in Bangkok and elsewhere.

OK now, some of us have provided links to actual research and reports documenting this practice. Can you please do the same for your 15% figure? Is that just a few charities, or all charities? Would Father Joe and his work in Klong Toey fall under that category? Have you ever visited his center there? Are small NGOs working closely with the poor, including beggars, included in your 15% figure? We eagerly await your documentation.

very interesting reply and straight to the point. :D

you raised the point of father joe and his brilliant work in klong toey.

one question please,

if there was that many beggars making a living from begging, father joe would be drinking lager at soi cow boy instead of saving bleeding lives as he'd have no job. :D

why dont we be good punters and give to the people who really look like they need frigging help.

jes---us,

its not bloody rocket science people. :D

any way,

what ever :o

one question please,

if there was that many beggars making a living from begging, father joe would be drinking lager at soi cow boy instead of saving bleeding lives as he'd have no job. :D

why dont we be good punters and give to the people who really look like they need frigging help.

jes---us,

any way,

Terry...once again your logic is so simple yet effective!

Are you involved in politics in your native Oz? If not, you should be!

one question please,

jes---us,

any way,

yes thanks mate,

but christ all bloody mighty, :D

i have to deal with this stuff every frigging day and its frigging real basic stuff. :D

cricky's mate,

there some real smart guy's out there like keeryk, plus,mr byth, terry 57, jai dee, my friend meadish and just too bloody many to mention. :D

any way,

they all mean well and budda bless them, as they cant all be as sharp as my top self except terry 57.

look its to bad you cant make the piss up, but it will be end of november on rambuttri st, date still to be sorted.

so dont tell every bugger willl you.

cracker friend :D

one question please,

jes---us,

any way,

straight up mate,

if i really wanted to be serious, :D

you'd be paying my wages with your taxes, thats if you were back in the western world. :D

but ive been coming to los for a long time now, and i only need to be amoungst the thai community to keep me happy.

and also being a major player on thai visa is amusing as well. :D

cheers mr byth :D

Let review this

1. First answer Terry 57's question.(good un, by crikity 57)

2. Google Mafia

Other evidence you will find later.

But as you think, all of Thailand is drivin' by "mafia", buddha man, there can't be that many Sicilian men in LOS!

3. If you don't like it, move, to some other country.

4 If you have a thai gf, then she to is controled by your "Mafia"./and paying to them) All in what YOU THINK!

Let review this

2. Google Mafia

But as you think, all of Thailand is drivin' by "mafia", buddha man, there can't be that many Sicilian men in LOS!

4 If you have a thai gf, then she to is controled by your "Mafia"./and paying to them) All in what YOU THINK!

Ok, so you apparently pulled the 15% statistic out of your arse.

Mafia, buddha man, move to some other country, thai gf?? Sorry, I can't make any sense out of what you wrote. Try again tomorrow when you sober up!

Edited by qualtrough

Let review this

2. Google Mafia

Ok, so you apparently pulled the 15% statistic out of your arse.

Mafia, buddha man, move to some other country, thai gf?? Sorry, I can't make any sense out of what you wrote. Try again tomorrow when you sober up!

Qualthrough, Why you writting on an Thai forum when you don't even know what a gf is???? smells of trollin'

They are placed out there by the begging mafia.

Punks own the sidewalks(along with the cops) and force these people to "work".

Where do they find these "employees"?

Filthy people with grotesque injuries, their faces burned off, or puss covered stubbs, pitifull to look at.

You think you are helping by giving them money?

A small percentage of the earnings they get to keep. The rest goes into some thugs pocket for beer money. So all the money that is collected for charity actually supports criminal gangs.

Hardly any goes to the needy.

THAT SUCKS!!!..and those punks running this operation should be squashed, eliminated from society.

Taking advantage of these people is the lowest of the low.

I don't appreciate how they place them in pinch points on sidewalks, forcing me to get close or step over their oozing wounds.

Disgusted!

go to china town at night.holly cow,,, sickening :o

2. Google Mafia

I think the term "mafia", as it pertains to crime in Thailand, isn't meant to describe Sicilian gangsters, but is often used by farangs in general to describe organized crime in Thailand, and even those that are loosely organized like groups or gangs of thugs.

Such groups most likely can and do control and put the muscle on collecting from street beggars, especially in more lucrative locations. In the past, I think it was more significant. But I'm not certain how widespread it is these days. Certainly out of BKK and other large cities it doesn't seem to be present as much, that is out in the smaller towns and villages.

I have noticed too that even BGs are generous to the beggars while people watching on

soi Suk.

I asked why a bunch of times and they say its because they gain good "merit" by doing this, so

its not that they really care about the beggars, its that they are worried about the "scales of

the Yam a toot" (judgement at death). Merit weighs the scales to the good side.

I was sitting eating with one TG and a beggar came by and she gave him 20 baht, the beggar

came to me and i declined, TG looked at me funny and i explained "I have too much merit".

She said "Good" and went on like nothing happened.

:o

CHeck this out, even the Thai Near death experience are screwed up, Yamatoot got the wrong person

(provided by Dr Dhebhanom Muangman)

Woman, 43 Yrs. old. Has 4 children. 12 years education; married to college educated man. Cause of death unknown. Possibly related to anemia.

NDE began with a visitation by two white robed young men who were not known to the patient. They informed her that it was her time to die, and that she was to be taken for judgment. She did not want to go. One of the figures touched her arm, and she then had an OBE in which she 'flew' while holding the figure's arm. She saw the roof of the hospital as she felt herself fly upward. She reached the clouds, and found herself able to walk on the clouds. Shortly thereafter, she found herself in front of a desk. The figure behind the desk told her that she was the wrong person, and the right person was in the same hospital, in a room three doors down from the room in which she 'died'. The patient revived. Shortly after, a nurse working in a room three doors down from her collapsed and died. The nurse's family refused to allow an autopsy.

Another intersting Thai NDE, 2 Farangs take her to Heaven

http://www.altered-states.net/barry/newsle...24/ndethai1.htm

(Provided by Dr. Dhebhanom Muangman)

Woman, 58 Yrs. Old. University professor, U.S. Educated.

NDE began in her kitchen as a cobra bit her when she reached down to turn on the propane that fed her stove. Patient was put in a coffin which was placed in a Buddhist temple. She remained there for three days before reviving. Her NDE began with an autoscopic OBE. She then found herself in front of her house. Two men in western clothes appeared and told her to get up. They said they wanted to take her for a walk. She looked back and found that the house had disappeared. The path in front of her was misty. The weather was cool and pleasant. She saw crowds of people from which emerged an older man who she referred to as uncle (father's elder brother) 'Pong'.

'Pong' told her that he was dead, and was there to welcome her. (he had, in fact, died the day after she was bitten by a cobra). Two men, not described, came to 'take her' for judgment. She came before a 'judge' (not described) who told her that although her name was the right name, it was actually another person of the same name who was to have been taken. He instructed the two to take her back. The patient resisted, and asked, before she went back, to know if heaven and hel_l were real. The judge instructed the guides to take her on a tour of heaven and hel_l. She was taken to heaven first. Her experience of heaven was of a cool place where birds, flowers and beautiful houses were found in abundance. hel_l was a place where souls were tortured in various ways, with whippings specifically mentioned. After her tour was over, she revived, and began to beat on the lid of the coffin. The monks in the temple ran away, frightened, thinking that she was a ghost. One of her family members opened the coffin, and let her out.

Edited by Nam Kao

Hiya Stealth

hope your holiday was ok mate, back to sea gypsy for you soon mate!

This post reminds me of a time I was in Bangkok and I was so pished I handed a street arab 2000thb. The clever beggar sat and looked at me as if it was nothing, lucky I was in a good mood or I would of ripped the beaker out his mitts and bashed it off his head.

Anyways they are cleaned off the streets every so often then appear again to get stupid pished people like me to feel sorry for them, so all in all leave them alone as long as they dont block my path to the pub!

Cya :o

Edited by lopburiguy

Interesting Nam Kao, but what the heck do those stories have to do with street beggars??

thank you very much qualtrough, :D

as your top question is extemely valid. :D

and i must ask the exact same question. :D

so kao,

how about an answer please, :D

cheers :o

Not the first weird post I've seen today

Either something in the air OR something new on the streets

and people here have been smoking it

:D

Interesting Nam Kao, but what the heck do those stories have to do with street beggars??

so kao,

heers :o

yes farangsay,

very nicely picked up my friend, :D

there is indeed some inside information going down. :D

look ,

keep it to yourself will you,

but the piss up is on rambuttri st in november.

cheers friend :D

so kao,

heers :o

yes farangsay,

look ,

And do you know , now you've said that I might even come

(Heading for BKK in 2/3 weeks)

Talk to you later mate

thank you very much qualtrough,

as your top question is extemely valid.

and i must ask the exact same question.

so kao,

how about an answer please,

cheers :o

yes farangsay,

look ,

And do you know , now you've said that I might even come

(Heading for BKK in 2/3 weeks)

Talk to you later mate

your welcome friend :D

we are just going to knock the heads of some longnecks and have a laugh. :D

see you there. :D