Street Beggars

STEALTH K3

On a recent trip to India I greedily ordered the 2nd mango whilst still eating the first, and then found that I couldn't finish it, so I turned to give the remaining half to the first of several beggarkids watching and waiting nearby.

The stallholder shouted something at them that caused them to withdraw as he lurched at me, took the fruit from my hand and tossed it into his garbage box. Then he smiled at me, and said it is better to throw away the mango than give it to these 'bad street children'.

Sad but true.

keda

This is awful! :o

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:o:D

On a recent trip to India I greedily ordered the 2nd mango whilst still eating the first, and then found that I couldn't finish it, so I turned to give the remaining half to the first of several beggarkids watching and waiting nearby.

The stallholder shouted something at them that caused them to withdraw as he lurched at me, took the fruit from my hand and tossed it into his garbage box. Then he smiled at me, and said it is better to throw away the mango than give it to these 'bad street children'.

Sad but true.

keda

This is awful! :D

very true story,

as there are that many beggars the people are battle hardened.

us farang find it very confronting and shocking. :D

my first trip to india was in 88 and the poverty was overwelming.

now its like, well i accept that this is how its is for these poor people.

the locals are very unforgiving and just hope you dont get reborn as a mumbai street urchin. :D

cheers punters :D

I have noticed why do the street beggers only hassle the farang and tourist's is this because the Thai's will tell them to "sling there hook".

This may be a Bangkok phenomenon.

In the provinces they ask everyone.

My youngest, who is Thai, will request money to give to them.

I think most of the beggars are genuine (is the spelling right).

Just that some people who are tight make up stories that most are scammers so they can make themselves feel better and not give a little change.

I lived in Vietnam for a year and quickly realized that in Hanoi MOST of the beggars completely ignored other Vietnamese people and followed, bothered and harrased every white face that they saw.

They were scum and I wouldn't give them the sweat off my testicles. :o

Just that some people who are tight make up stories that most are scammers so they can make themselves feel better and not give a little change.

I lived in Vietnam for a year and quickly realized that in Hanoi MOST of the beggars completely ignored other Vietnamese people and followed, bothered and harrased every white face that they saw.

Im talking about Thailand, I would still give the poor abit of change if needed. I doubt most are scammers, people who dont want to give money say there scammers so they can justify that

Im talking about Thailand, I would still give the poor abit of change if needed. I doubt most are scammers, people who dont want to give money say there scammers so they can justify that

In Thailand they don't follow you around and bug you. :D

In Thailand they don't follow you around and bug you. :D

Refer my first quote

can we have a definition of the term, "hassle"?

most begging I encounter involves, at most, a raised hand from a sitting position, which, if ignored... results in nothing else.

Good question John, don't have a dict. next to me but to hassele someone is Not sitting with a hat or something else, It involves getting in someones face!

can we have a definition of the term, "hassle"?

most begging I encounter involves, at most, a raised hand from a sitting position, which, if ignored... results in nothing else.

Good question John, don't have a dict. next to me but to hassele someone is Not sitting with a hat or something else, It involves getting in someones face!

Like the suit shops in the tourist areas, if they begged like that then they wouldnt get anything from me

They are placed out there by the begging mafia.

Punks own the sidewalks(along with the cops) and force these people to "work".

Where do they find these "employees"?

Filthy people with grotesque injuries, their faces burned off, or puss covered stubbs, pitifull to look at.

You think you are helping by giving them money?

A small percentage of the earnings they get to keep. The rest goes into some thugs pocket for beer money. So all the money that is collected for charity actually supports criminal gangs.

Hardly any goes to the needy.

THAT SUCKS!!!..and those punks running this operation should be squashed, eliminated from society.

Taking advantage of these people is the lowest of the low.

I don't appreciate how they place them in pinch points on sidewalks, forcing me to get close or step over their oozing wounds.

Disgusted!

Someone else one this forum has said the same as you, and I DON*T BEIEVE IT. If if was THE MAFIA, then why isn't it been happening other places, like in the west, as you say theres $$ in it! Then prove to US HERE and NOW that it the MOB. You just read that and believe it, right?

Yes, most beggars are controlled by street thugs who make a profit off of them. I have talked with many beggars; and from what I have learned, if they do not make 400 baht a day, they cannot eat when they go to wherever it is that they stay as most of the street thugs provide housing for them. Most street beggars, especially those who are not able to leave the corner they are working, desire water or drinks more than money. And if you feed them a meal, they will not have to worry about making the 400 baht quota.

The other beggars who are not working for a local gang are usually drug addicts or alcoholics. No matter how you judge an addict, most of them do not eat as they are so addicted to drugs; and people need to eat no matter who they are. So, if you buy them a meal, they are grateful as well; and it helps to sober them up a bit. Plus, if you eat a meal with them, you may be able to help them in encouraging them to overcome their addiction. Or at least, you give them some hope that somebody cares for them and would spend a few minutes to encourage them that there is hope for them to overcome their addiction.

Being that a meal costs under 40 baht in Thailand, and there are street stalls everywhere, if you have a desire to help someone, this is the route to go. And being that there are 7-11's all over the place, you can always spend 20 baht for a fruit drink or 10 baht for a bottle of water. If we all would make a practice of doing this and not giving them cash, we would really discourage the street thugs that we are all against. Therefore, we would be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone: we would actually help somebody and make their day, and we would anger the street thugs who would lose their profit. God bless you for being concerned for the poor.

Tony, you got the right aditude, if your worried you getting ripped off, them do as Tony and I do, BUY a meal and give them, YOU and them, WILL feel MUCH better,believe ME or don't!

Definitely a mafia business, and we try to manage and remove the ppl in our district when they are around. We got rid of the farang beggar with the sign as well. Cheeky sod.

Do you mean the guy who "just needs a few hundred baht for his ticket home"? He's still here. I saw him at BTS Siam Square at the weekend.

As for a mafia controlling the beggars, yes I believe it's true. I travel to different areas of Bangkok each day and have noticed at least 3 beggars who take it in turns to sit at the same places. The places are as far apart as Petchaburi Road, Silom and Soi Ari.

One of them, an old lady, has only one leg and the stump on the other leg is bandaged and has a spot of "blood" seeping out. I have seen her for about 3 years now with exactly the same spot of blood.

Another, a blind man, has huge loudspeakers and can be heard singing at least 30 meters away.

Another woman sits and bangs away at some kind of bells.

These 3 beggars take it in turns at sitting at exactly the same spots in 3 different areas but are never there together. How can some blind man drag 50kg of equipment across Bangkok from day to day.

Also, today I noticed a beggar setting up some electronic keyboards with huge speakers on top of a footbridge. How can they afford such equipment?

Definitely a mafia business, and we try to manage and remove the ppl in our district when they are around. We got rid of the farang beggar with the sign as well. Cheeky sod.

Do you mean the guy who "just needs a few hundred baht for his ticket home"? He's still here. I saw him at BTS Siam Square at the weekend.

As for a mafia controlling the beggars, yes I believe it's true. I travel to different areas of Bangkok each day and have noticed at least 3 beggars who take it in turns to sit at the same places. The places are as far apart as Petchaburi Road, Silom and Soi Ari.

One of them, an old lady, has only one leg and the stump on the other leg is bandaged and has a spot of "blood" seeping out. I have seen her for about 3 years now with exactly the same spot of blood.

Another, a blind man, has huge loudspeakers and can be heard singing at least 30 meters away.

Another woman sits and bangs away at some kind of bells.

These 3 beggars take it in turns at sitting at exactly the same spots in 3 different areas but are never there together. How can some blind man drag 50kg of equipment across Bangkok from day to day.

Also, today I noticed a beggar setting up some electronic keyboards with huge speakers on top of a footbridge. How can they afford such equipment?

Petedk(er du dansk?) There is no Mafia, find a begger who speaks english or if you speak thai, then buy them a mal for 40B and give it to one that you can talk to and you will find that it NOT what you WANT to THINK. This way , especially when you talk to more than 25,That I have, then you know it's nothing but a scream for help-I'll admit there are SOME PHONIES out there, even a lot of farang, try there luck. But the mainstream are the Humble ones, just ask them, they pick those areas cause it where the most people with $$ are of course. If you needed to beg wouldn't you also find the best place for it?

I'd certainly agree that not all are scammers, and not all are placed in various locations by the Thai "mafia". But I've seen some instances that were rather amusing.

Years ago on Suk, near Robinson's (long before the sky train), there was a beggar woman perched on one side of the foot bridge and some beggar kids on the other side. A bit later, my wife and I saw her standing on the sidewalk with the kids near Soi 8. She certainly looked well fed. We talked with her for a while. Turns out she lived with her son and DIL who were both at work so she'd take the grandkids out, evidently to beg to get a bit of spending money. They'd move around to different spots from time to time. When begging, she'd empty her cup except for a few one baht coins and maybe a five baht coin, to make it look like she wasn't having any luck getting any 'donations'. Then she promptly hailed an air-conditioned meter taxi, hopped in with the kids and rode off. It could've been her son, or it could've been she made a good enough haul to ride home in comfort.

Another incident (same location). A woman was perched on the foot bridge. Her legs were horribly disfigured, and she had a couple of crutches laying next to her. She really looked pathetic. Later, we saw that she twisted her legs around into a normal position, got up and walked off as well as anyone else. Evidently she was a contortionist who was able to twist her legs into some incredible positions to make herself look crippled.

Both of those incidents were obvious scammers. But, as another poster stated, in small villages or areas out of BKK, there are local beggars who actually are unfortunate. Even in BKK, there are people begging because they have no other source of income. Some may be handicapped. Some may be old.

Some may be street kids whose parents put them out in certain areas to make some extra money. I'm reminded of the incident of the parents who sent their young daughter (about 9 or so years old) out in the street among cars to sell floral garlands to drivers. The idea was that she was so young and cute that drivers would be more likely to buy from her. If I remember correctly, the girl was hit and killed by a vehicle and the parents were arrested.

I remember hearing tales about the beggars. The stories generally were that organized thugs would kidnap kids out in the provinces, mutilate an arm or leg, then put them out on the streets to beg. Some of those tales may have been true, but I suspect a lot may be closer to urban legends.

:o I regularly give to a woman with a child outside Prom Phong station. She seems to have an aura of dignity about her, that is an odd thing to say, but I feel it is true. As well as money, I take her fruit which she seems to be pleased about.

Prom Phong is PRIME TURF. No legit beggar would be allowed near the place.

If they can't locate enough leppers they resort to ladies with kids.

The kid might not even be theirs, the dirtier the better the handlers tell them.

Roll them around in the gutter a few times first.

It's nice to help the poor, I believe strongly in that but giving to these people placed all over the sidewalk is not helping poor.

It helping some lazy thugs, exploiting some really sad people.

Skipper, you must be bleeding glad about yourself, since you write what you do about others that have NOTHING. One day IT could be you out there, with your fat body, I don't think you'd get much empathy, But think about it, it's a crap shot where your born and by whom, and you can still get to where they're at. Have a nice sleep, if you DO sleep or can!

I'd certainly agree that not all are scammers, and not all are placed in various locations by the Thai "mafia". But I've seen some instances that were rather amusing.

Years ago on Suk, near Robinson's (long before the sky train), there was a beggar woman perched on one side of the foot bridge and some beggar kids on the other side. A bit later, my wife and I saw her standing on the sidewalk with the kids near Soi 8. She certainly looked well fed. We talked with her for a while. Turns out she lived with her son and DIL who were both at work so she'd take the grandkids out, evidently to beg to get a bit of spending money. They'd move around to different spots from time to time. When begging, she'd empty her cup except for a few one baht coins and maybe a five baht coin, to make it look like she wasn't having any luck getting any 'donations'. Then she promptly hailed an air-conditioned meter taxi, hopped in with the kids and rode off. It could've been her son, or it could've been she made a good enough haul to ride home in comfort.

Another incident (same location). A woman was perched on the foot bridge. Her legs were horribly disfigured, and she had a couple of crutches laying next to her. She really looked pathetic. Later, we saw that she twisted her legs around into a normal position, got up and walked off as well as anyone else. Evidently she was a contortionist who was able to twist her legs into some incredible positions to make herself look crippled.

Both of those incidents were obvious scammers. But, as another poster stated, in small villages or areas out of BKK, there are local beggars who actually are unfortunate. Even in BKK, there are people begging because they have no other source of income. Some may be handicapped. Some may be old.

Some may be street kids whose parents put them out in certain areas to make some extra money. I'm reminded of the incident of the parents who sent their young daughter (about 9 or so years old) out in the street among cars to sell floral garlands to drivers. The idea was that she was so young and cute that drivers would be more likely to buy from her. If I remember correctly, the girl was hit and killed by a vehicle and the parents were arrested.

I remember hearing tales about the beggars. The stories generally were that organized thugs would kidnap kids out in the provinces, mutilate an arm or leg, then put them out on the streets to beg. Some of those tales may have been true, but I suspect a lot may be closer to urban legends.

Thanks AmeriThai that you aswered with the more unpopular answer that it could have been her son or another family member and kidnapping kids and breaking there arm (You really got to be an idiot, to believe that one) but unfortuantly people love to make up stories while in a far away poorer country than their own, and you are right that they were Urban myths.

Thanks AmeriThai that you aswered with the more unpopular answer that it could have been her son or another family member and kidnapping kids and breaking there arm (You really got to be an idiot, to believe that one) but unfortuantly people love to make up stories while in a far away poorer country than their own, and you are right that they were Urban myths.

Don't get me wrong. I do think there are thugs who put the squeeze on people to pay for 'space rent' or 'protection'. In the examples I wrote about, these people perched in spots pretty early in the morning before most of the 'regular' beggars showed up, maybe to avoid having to pay for their spot.

I also think that some criminal elements may indeed have no qualms about breaking bones to disfigure kids and others, but I think it's pretty rare these days. And because a few incidents may have happened like that, it spawns the urban legends that it happens everywhere all the time.

These days, it's more popular to put kids out with a cute little puppy in a basket because they're cute and it attracts sympathy. People who are crippled or appear to be handicapped in one way or another also attract sympathy. Works like a charm in the business districts and where ever you find loads of tourists. What better location than Bangkok for begging?

But I also think there are plenty of people who simply can't work because they are indeed crippled or just too old or any number of other reasons.

While there may be certain charitable organizations that strive to help such people, these groups, as well meaning as they may be, can't possibly reach out to everyone. There are just too many on the streets.

Edited by AmeriThai

I have seen many Thai people give to beggars....they seem to have a feel for the genuine ones.

That's hit the nail on the head you see some people seriously deformed, limbs missing and other pyhisical disibilties. Then you see lazy tw@t's that just don't appear not wanting to work eg the women carrying the baby and the fat kid wanting money for food in Nana.

:o I regularly give to a woman with a child outside Prom Phong station. She seems to have an aura of dignity about her, that is an odd thing to say, but I feel it is true. As well as money, I take her fruit which she seems to be pleased about.

Prom Phong is PRIME TURF. No legit beggar would be allowed near the place.

If they can't locate enough leppers they resort to ladies with kids.

The kid might not even be theirs, the dirtier the better the handlers tell them.

Roll them around in the gutter a few times first.

It's nice to help the poor, I believe strongly in that but giving to these people placed all over the sidewalk is not helping poor.

It helping some lazy thugs, exploiting some really sad people.

Skipper, you must be bleeding glad about yourself, since you write what you do about others that have NOTHING. One day IT could be you out there, with your fat body, I don't think you'd get much empathy, But think about it, it's a crap shot where your born and by whom, and you can still get to where they're at. Have a nice sleep, if you DO sleep or can!

I do know what I'm talking about here.

The money that is givin to the "beggars" goes into the pockets of thugs. If you want to support some punks, drinking, playing snooker all day, UP TO YOU.

How about an experiment?

You put several "beggars", next to the ones that have been placed by the begging gang and see what happens.

You will be asked to "move along", possibly by the police.

This is "TURF" and giving money to these fake beggars is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Then you see lazy tw@t's that just don't appear not wanting to work eg the women carrying the baby

When Sukhumvit Road was loaded with streetside vendors from Soi Nana to near Robinson's, I remember seeing a lady like that, dressed in hilltribe garb, wandering up and down the street. What was so irritating was if you so much as looked at her, she'd shove a cup nearly in your face, and follow you around like that for a short distance. Both she and baby looked as healthy as can be.

He was happy to admit to the attack and claimed that the victim had persistently demanded money from the alleged attacker on many occasions.

Can't say that I blame him. :o

I hope that one day you find your self in need and receive the same compassion. You really are a <deleted>

He was happy to admit to the attack and claimed that the victim had persistently demanded money from the alleged attacker on many occasions.

Can't say that I blame him. :o

I hope that one day you find your self in need and receive the same compassion. You really are a <deleted>

Once you have lived in South East Asia for a while and been targeted, harrassed and bothered over and over again for money because of the color of your skin, maybe you will grow up a little and realize that aggresive beggars are con artists and parasites, not people "in need". :D

bottom line punters,

just hope that all you tight arse people out there dont end up as beggars in your next life. :D

cheers to all the compassionate ones.

:o

im sure some are controlled by the mafia but not to give to all because of this issue sucks big time.

ive seen some real sad cases in los that was very confronting. :D

and i'll continue to give to these poor unfortunate sods.

When I lived in Vietnam, I found an old lady who used to sleep on the stairs of a church every night and didn't bother anyone.

When I felt the need to help someone decent out, I would go hand her a couple of dollars. :D

thats the ticket fella,

i knew you had a heart there somewhere, :D

all your saying is pick your mark, right ?

cracker mate :o