Actual legal speed limits on Thai roads?

Another question can be about the legal format of signs.

How do we know if a sign has been put up legally or not?

On highway 7, there are legal 120 Kph signs alternating with blinking number signs, i.e. "90'" surrounded by 4 smaller spots in the corner.

Which sign should be observed?

Is the blinking one in a legal format?

I think the latter sign is meant to tell drivers to check their blood pressure and keep it under 90?

What about those signs that are obviously handmade ?

Try to discuss with the copper that the sign isn't of the legal format, and thereby you can ignore it. I know who's gonna win the argument. Hint : It wont be you.

true, it will be my lawyer if the matter gets serious enough

You would seriously consider using a lawyer ??? O.K. Rule 1 He is NOT your lawyer, he works for himself not for you, he may give you the impression he is working for you because that is what you want to hear, however the harder he appears to work, argue, obfuscate on your behalf the more he will charge. Should by some minor miracle (or sleight of backhand) you win - you will not only have a lawyers bill to pay, but congrats.... you've just pissed off the law. May I suggest a small fine, payable in cash on the spot, smiles, good humor and move on, stress free... you'll live longer, your wallet will stay fat. Reality check - try speeding in the U.K. the fines are outrageous, plus the points system - not to mention 100mph = instant ban, no smiles, no humour, and compared to Thais the police are arrogant obnoxious bastards (with the greatest of respect).... smile you're in Thailand.

try to spend more time in Thailand and try to find a better lawyer!

I have been using the same lawyer for many years now and I can't fault his loyalty.

• Like 1

On highway 7, there are legal 120 Kph signs alternating with blinking number signs, i.e. "90'" surrounded by 4 smaller spots in the corner.

I think the latter sign is meant to tell drivers to check their blood pressure and keep it under 90?

Highway 7 - I think you mean between Rayong turn off and past Lam Chebang or thereabouts? I have been conflicted on this for a while.

Fixed 90 signs appeared last year or end 2013 for the first time and then they stuck up some of the signs shown in Khun BenQ's post. More recently they added these flashing 90 signs. Very confusing as often the signs are very close to each other. I am only guessing but I think the 120 limit is meant to be for when the road officially becomes a toll road but they have not covered them up as they would in the west until the right time.

Let us know if you get stopped and what the BIB say will ya.....biggrin.png

The signs are present between Laem Chabang and Suvarnabhumi, there are fixed, standard looking 120 signs and then there are the blinking 90 signs, they alternate - so I am confused regarding by how much I break the limit.

My friend came to pick me up from Don Muang airport on my very first visit to Thailand a few years ago.

On our way to his home in Chonburi we were stopped by a traffic cop on a motorbike for speeding and a lane violation.

His Thai brother in law offered the cop 200 baht.

Cop said "1000 baht or you go back to police station."

No smile no chat so he must have been having a bad day.

Friend wanted to argue but after a 12 hour flight I wasn't in the mood for a stand off and gave him 1000 baht.

I think had we been Thai the fine would have been 200 baht.

I assume as with everything else there is a two tier system of fines depending on whether you are Thai or farang.

My friend came to pick me up from Don Muang airport on my very first visit to Thailand a few years ago.

On our way to his home in Chonburi we were stopped by a traffic cop on a motorbike for speeding and a lane violation.

Friend wanted to argue but after a 12 hour flight I wasn't in the mood for a stand off and gave him 1000 baht.

I assume as with everything else there is a two tier system of fines depending on whether you are Thai or farang.

Up until this post it was a hood and informative thread.

Try to discuss with the copper that the sign isn't of the legal format, and thereby you can ignore it. I know who's gonna win the argument. Hint : It wont be you.

You would seriously consider using a lawyer ??? O.K. Rule 1 He is NOT your lawyer, he works for himself not for you, he may give you the impression he is working for you because that is what you want to hear, however the harder he appears to work, argue, obfuscate on your behalf the more he will charge. Should by some minor miracle (or sleight of backhand) you win - you will not only have a lawyers bill to pay, but congrats.... you've just pissed off the law. May I suggest a small fine, payable in cash on the spot, smiles, good humor and move on, stress free... you'll live longer, your wallet will stay fat. Reality check - try speeding in the U.K. the fines are outrageous, plus the points system - not to mention 100mph = instant ban, no smiles, no humour, and compared to Thais the police are arrogant obnoxious bastards (with the greatest of respect).... smile you're in Thailand.

And the accident and death rates in the UK are far, far lower.

• Like 1

On highways with separated tracks:

90 km/h for limousines, pickups, motorbikes.

80 for buses and lorrys.

60 for towed (?) vehicles

You see this table occasionally at such highways (for me at #12):

1419391965-V130556851-o.jpg

Thanks for this however motorways are 120 I believe, however that doesn't seem to flow on to a 2 lane highway, on which I have been booked.

So if you know your right,you are condoning corruption,just because it's easier and probably cheaper.A start must be made somewhere to stop this scourge.When a drunk,who is let go by paying a bribe,hits you,don't start whinging.

• Like 1

Yes there is a 2 tier system,farang stupid,Thai smart.You not only paid your friends speeding fine,you paid well over the odds.Everything is up for negotiation.

80 for buses and lorrys.

There are several similar signs on Highway 7 between Pattaya and Chon Buri. However, the limits posted are different from this i.e:

Cars.....120

Buses and lorries.....100

Lorries with trailer....80

This would be okay, except........there are also electronic signs with flashing lights on the central reservation which show....90.

So what is the actual speed limit?

I don't think an answer to that question is possible.

80 for buses and lorrys.

There are several similar signs on Highway 7 between Pattaya and Chon Buri. However, the limits posted are different from this i.e:

Cars.....120

This would be okay, except........there are also electronic signs with flashing lights on the central reservation which show....90.

The limits you mention is for Toll roads or highways that have no side roads or U-turns, while what KhunBenq posted are the limits for highways that have U-turns and are accessible from side roads.

Keep in mind that Highway 7 was from the beginning intended to be a toll road from start to end.

When there is a separate signe that says 90 or whatever, it overrides the legal speed limit for that particular section. This is something that is also applied in our home countries, so it should be no rocket science.

Edited by Anthony5

My Garmin GPS gives me the speed limit on some roads. Driving along Sukhumwit in Pattaya, it is 80 km / hr whilst once outside Pattaya it becomes 110 km / hr. If I turn off Sukhumwit (either direction) no limit is shown so I assume the limit is therefore 60 km / hr? I've been driving along Route 3 at around 100 km / hr when I notice that my Garmin is showing my speed in red as the speed limit has become 80 km / hr yet no sign to warn me that the limit has become lower.

Thailand really needs to adapt the system in the UK and put up proper speed limit signs on all roads so that everyone knows how fast they can drive legally.

Alan

My Garmin GPS gives me the speed limit on some roads. Driving along Sukhumwit in Pattaya, it is 80 km / hr whilst once outside Pattaya it becomes 110 km / hr. If I turn off Sukhumwit (either direction) no limit is shown so I assume the limit is therefore 60 km / hr? I've been driving along Route 3 at around 100 km / hr when I notice that my Garmin is showing my speed in red as the speed limit has become 80 km / hr yet no sign to warn me that the limit has become lower.

Thailand really needs to adapt the system in the UK and put up proper speed limit signs on all roads so that everyone knows how fast they can drive legally.

Alan

we went to LOS to bee more free than in EU,

now you want they make also in LOS monkeys of us ??

80 for buses and lorrys.

Cars.....120

The limits you mention is for Toll roads or highways that have no side roads or U-turns, while what KhunBenq posted are the limits for highways that have U-turns and are accessible from side roads.

Keep in mind that Highway 7 was from the beginning intended to be a toll road from start to end.

When there is a separate signe that says 90 or whatever, it overrides the legal speed limit for that particular section. This is something that is also applied in our home countries, so it should be no rocket science.

See my post no 25. There were no speed limit signs on the non toll stretch before 18 months or so ago.

The signs are not like our home countries at all. You have a 90 sign followed within 100 meters by the toll way speed sign or vice versa in several places. It is impossible to know which is meant to be the correct limit. My guess is 90 until it all becomes a tollway but that is all it is - a guess.

The 90 signs on the camel humps on the actual tollway are more like what you are referring to but even these don't say where that ends and 120 starts again.

80 for buses and lorrys.

And it looks as though BUSES are the only vehicle allowed to go the opposite direction----thats strange eh !!!!!!!!!!!!!cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Alan

we went to LOS to bee more free than in EU,

now you want they make also in LOS monkeys of us ??

Considering Thailand has the 2nd highest number of fatalities in road traffic accidents in the world, I think that showing the speed limit everywhere AND enforcing it would be a good idea.

Alan

• 2 years later...

The EXPRESSWAYS around Bkk and PATTAY have an 80 km speed limit.

The normal national average for cars is 90. On motorways it is 120.

As for pickup trucks....well technically they can be regarded as commercial vehicles and have an 80 km limit.......wonder who has ever had that one enforced!

26 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The EXPRESSWAYS around Bkk and PATTAY have an 80 km speed limit.

The normal national average for cars is 90. On motorways it is 120.

As for pickup trucks....well technically they can be regarded as commercial vehicles and have an 80 km limit.......wonder who has ever had that one enforced!

"As for pickup trucks....well technically they can be regarded as commercial vehicles"

Only the 2-door variety.

It's all very confusing. Where I live Kamphaeng Phet the speed limit through the town is 80kph that's 50mph for Buddha sake. Confirmed by my Sat Nav: once you get onto the AH 1/32 it's also 80 not 90kph. That lasts for 10km in both directions. They have now put cameras up on the highway, if you go over 90kph you'll get a ticket.

Just to rub it in they have a designated desk in the local post office to pay same. Spoke to a lady who works there and she told me she has had 8, 500bt tickets in a 6 week period. Maybe you should slow down. Reply I'm Thai so up to me??? Seems the only way to tell is get a sat Nav: that has speed limits on it. Even that could be pot luck.

Cameras in action 24/7 so don't think driving at night is any better.

Edited by fredob43

42 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Confirmed by my Sat Nav

On my previous Satnav with ESRI map some of the speed limits mentioned were definitely incorrect.

Biggest issue I have is the lack of actual speed signs especially when it changes for a short stretch and then goes back to the original limit.

3 minutes ago, topt said:

On my previous Satnav with ESRI map some of the speed limits mentioned were definitely incorrect.

Biggest issue I have is the lack of actual speed signs especially when it changes for a short stretch and then goes back to the original limit.

My new Satnav: seems to be very good.

The stretch from Pattaya to BKK is a nightmare. It changes all the time. Have found that if you keep it at 120kph you don't get a ticket. Looking at the satnav: all the time as it changes, and you'll end up having an accident. Mine does beep if I'm speeding but if I'm close to the limit I take no notice. Few kph over and you will get away with it.

16 minutes ago, topt said:

And some of the speedsigns that are present are incorrect. Quite a few examples here on the island, and the head honcho even admitted so to one of the local papers. 50 km/h signs all over the place on 80km/h roads.

17 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The stretch from Pattaya to BKK is a nightmare. It changes all the time

If you mean on the 7 I think it is because of the current upgrading to a full toll road. 2/3 years ago there were no speed signs at all that I remember. Whether the current 90 signs get removed or not remains to be seen.........

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

And some of the speedsigns that are present are incorrect. Quite a few examples here on the island, and the head honcho even admitted so to one of the local papers. 50 km/h signs all over the place on 80km/h roads.

Cynically is it because of an excuse to catch unwary/unaware drivers or just ineptitude that they were put in initially and have not subsequently been corrected?