Dismissed from job. Will I be allowed back into Thailand?

After being dismissed from my job I'm now concerned I might not be allowed back in the country on any visa to sort out my affairs.

Is this likely?

is there a recommended legal group I should approach for advice?

I have just been dismissed and my letter of dismissal contains some pretty unpleasant allegations. Will this prevent me from re-entering on an ordinary visa/visa exempt to clear up my affairs?e

Edited by Loeilad

Are they just allegations or were criminal charges filed or will be filed? What were the allegations? You haven't given enough detail to get an informative answer. What was the job you were dismissed from???

Edited by ThaiRich

No problem to enter the country.

What do you have have now? Do your a 90 day non-b visa entry or an extension of stay? If an extension do you have re-entry permit?

If you plan on leaving the country at a border crossing and have an extension you could have a problem leaving unless you are leaving on or before the date on you termination letter.

i have a "B" visa. not asked for a extension

I intend to leave a couple of days before the end of my contract and hope to re-enter on a visa exempt or tourist visa about 4 days after the end of the contract.

Edited by Loeilad

I intend to leave a couple of days before the end of my contract and hope to re-enter on a visa exempt or tourist visa about 4 days after the end of the contract.

Regardless of the theoretical rights and wrongs of your situation from the immigration standpoint, I fear that you might, in practice, run the risk of experiencing grief at the hands of a rogue immigration officer if you were to return on a visa exemption just 4 days after your contract termination date. Since you previously had a "B" visa they might consider that they had reasonable grounds for suspecting (wrongly, I assume) that you were planning to return here in order to work illegally.

And you might encounter a similar reaction at any overseas Thai embassy or consulate to any tourist visa application which you might wish to submit.

Are the affairs which you need to sort out really that urgent, or could they wait a couple of months or so for the dust to settle? It would appear that the last thing that you want to be doing at the present time would be potentially to risk drawing unwelcome attention on yourself.

Edited by OJAS

OP can return without a problem and can also go to the labour office for advice and help on his termination of the contract. If need be the labour office will take the employer to court to see that the employee gets his fair share (like severance pay).

• Like 2

Regardless of the theoretical rights and wrongs of your situation from the immigration standpoint, I fear that you might, in practice, run the risk of experiencing grief at the hands of a rogue immigration officer if you were to return on a visa exemption just 4 days after your contract termination date. Since you previously had a "B" visa they might consider that they had reasonable grounds for suspecting (wrongly, I assume) that you were planning to return here in order to work illegally.

And you might encounter a similar reaction at any overseas Thai embassy or consulate to any tourist visa application which you might wish to submit.

Are the affairs which you need to sort out really that urgent, or could they wait a couple of months or so for the dust to settle? It would appear that the last thing that you want to be doing at the present time would be potentially to risk drawing unwelcome attention on yourself.

Absolute rubbish. It's common practice to end a contract and exit and return on a tourist visa or exempt. He stated that he wanted to come back and get home s affairs in order. Or maybe he will be planning to look for a new job. Why the conclusion that he is planning to work illegally???????????

• Like 2

Incorrect. One can return on a visa exemption at any time and it also perfectly fine to apply for tourist visa. In fact both things are done frequently by people that have finished working in Thailand and are looking for a new job or another type of visa for a longer stay..

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice. i don't need or even want to work anymore - at least not in the immediate future and once I've sorted my affairs I will either leave Thailand or get a retirement visa.

As i understand it termination of employment means that you have to leave the country as soon as the contract ends, which would leave a lot of loose ends if I couldn't get back in.

Actually you only have to leave if you are on an extension of stay. If you are here on tour original B visa you can stay until the end of permission to stay. You were stamped in for 90 days when you entered Thailand on your B visa. You are entitled to stay the entire 90 days wether you left your job or not. You are only required to exit within 24 if you have an extension of stay based on employment.

As i understand it termination of employment means that you have to leave the country as soon as the contract ends, which would leave a lot of loose ends if I couldn't get back in.

Yes the regulations not having grace period are to cause inconvenience.

But, you can get a 7 days extension at immigration, cost Bt 1,900.