Low pressure system likely to increase temperature in Thailand

webfact

Low pressure system likely to increase temperature in Thailand

BANGKOK, 4 May 2015 (NNT)- The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has warned people in the upper part of the country of possible dangers from tropical storms during this time of year.

According to the DDPM Deputy Director-General, Anusorn Keawkangwan, temperatures will increase in the North and Northeast due to the low pressure system.

It will also be extremely hot in some areas. The southeasterly wind will bring thundershowers from the Gulf of Thailand to the eastern, central and lower northeastern provinces

People have been warned against the possibility of strong gales and hail storms during this time of year. In case they need assistance, they are advised to call the DDPM’s hotline 1784 or contact the provincial authority in their respective provinces.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-04 footer_n.gif

I wonder how a low pressure system can increase temperatures?

I guess they mean it will bring in winds and warmer air from the South and therefore bring higher temperatures.

Also it seems to be hotter when water in the air increases the humidity.... so that might be true also.

But I fail to see how just having lower pressure could itself cause higher temperatures.

Maybe it has something to do with "Thainess".

I wonder how a low pressure system can increase temperatures?

I guess they mean it will bring in winds and warmer air from the South and therefore bring higher temperatures.

Also it seems to be hotter when water in the air increases the humidity.... so that might be true also.

Low atmospheric pressure is caused by a rise in water vapour in the air which is less dense than air itself. The moist air is warmer than dry air. I know it sounds a bit strange but remember the air temperature forecast means in the shade, not in direct sunshine.

All the energy, warmth, in the atmosphere, well 99.9%, is carried by water vapour, not the air itself. Dry air, gives you clear skies and in direct sun you are being warmed by radiation, not hot air. Deserts are a bit different. There you get a dose of both.

So, in general, low pressure brings warmer air and lots of water vapour, makes sweating worse, sweat can't evaporate as the air can't take up any more water vapour.

But I fail to see how just having lower pressure could itself cause higher temperatures.

Maybe it has something to do with "Thainess".

My local bar tonight was so hot ( and the bar is outside , no indoors or fans) my Ladyboy mate said " I am velly lon khun Phil I need dink yen " 3 nights ago she/he had a jacket on as was cold. Funny folk here. Below 32C and they are cold , above 34C and they suffer from the heat.

Nice, was a bit too cool lately. I started to worry when the hot season would finally start.

Shit, where are you from, it is like a bloody oven up here in KHON Kaen.

is your sarcasm meter switched off?wink.png

Nice, was a bit too cool lately. I started to worry when the hot season would finally start.

Shit, where are you from, it is like a bloody oven up here in KHON Kaen.

Errrr, think he might have been having a bit of a joke!

My local bar tonight was so hot ( and the bar is outside , no indoors or fans) my Ladyboy mate said " I am velly lon khun Phil I need dink yen " 3 nights ago she/he had a jacket on as was cold. Funny folk here. Below 32C and they are cold , above 34C and they suffer from the heat.

33C it is then....that will do nicely (unless the RealFeel is 40+)

Strong winds, don't forget about warning people to keep from climbing big billboards.

This hasn't been reported for at least a week, and we all know without a warning the buggers will be swarming all over these big billboards.