What powers should the Tourist Police Volunteers be given?

beenitseenitdoneit

I get sick hearing all the complaints about the Tourist Police from posters who have NO idea what they do, and what authority they have.

ALL Tourist Police volunteers act under orders / instructions from the Duty Officer of the unit. The authority comes from the INSTRUCTIONS the THAI DUTY OFFICER gives them. Foreign police volunteers are under the same instructions, BUT mainly deal with foreign tourists, while Thai volunteers deal with the Thai people.

"""I certainly would not stop for any of the wannabies!"" Many of the FOREIGN """wannabies""" have many years as police officers / detectives / inspectors or in the private sector in their original countries. I know of one ''''FOREIGN wannabie""" that was on the British Crown's protection detail.

ALL volunteers may stop you, ask for ID, and in the worst case "take you in custody" IF you are violating Thai law.

Ask the Japanese tourist who lost their child how grateful they are to the ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' who found the child 4 blocks away from where the child should have been. Ask the tourist about the ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' who got their gold chain back after it was ripped off their neck. Ask the tourist who was urinated on by a dancer and his statement was translated to the Thai authoritied by a ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' how he now feels now about the "justice" he received.

You are in a foreign country, the police question you, you DO NOT KNOW THE LANGUAGE the police are speaking, a ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' assists you in communication - I think you are in a MUCH better position with the help of the ''''FOREIGN wannabie'''

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ''''FOREIGN wannabies''' carry a list of phone ( on their phone ) numbers of the ''''FOREIGN wannabies''' that speak YOUR language, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, and etc

From what you said your organisation are obviously doing some excellent and invaluable work.

Understandable you are getting sick of the perceived misrepresentations on this thread and others.

Thank you for finally adding some clarity.

You have been granted the authority to verify if someone is driving legally.

This is good to know, what really and solely distinguishes you from the Royal Thai Police then is the fact that you can speak another language.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humm, let me think...........I think ripping a chain off a strangers neck and running away... "snatching" a womans purse and running away....., hitting someone on the head with a high heel shoe...., attacking someone physically....., shoplifting..., leaving a resturant with out paying is against the ""law"" in most countries.

40 days of training, other subject matter training, written instructions, written tests, verbal instructions from the duty officer, and common sence, to answer your question.

If in doubt, ask to see a ID ( ID states name of police unit, photo of person, and persons name and ID number )....or...ask to be taken to his / her Superior / Team Leader or the Duty Officer. In general 2 or more foreign volunteers are together, many times with a Thai.

Edited by edwardflory

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script> what really and solely distinguishes you from the Royal Thai Police then is the fact that you can speak another language.

The fact that they aren't Thais mainly.

A very good friend of ours is a Thai police officer and she's fluent in 3 languages.

Humm, let me think...........I think ripping a chain off a strangers neck and running away... "snatching" a womans purse and running away....., hitting someone on the head with a high heel shoe...., attacking someone physically....., shoplifting..., leaving a resturant with out paying is against the ""law"" in most countries.

40 days of training, other subject matter training, written instructions, written tests, verbal instructions from the duty officer, and common sence, to answer your question.

So you are saying all foreign Thai police volunteers are fluent in Thai, written and spoken, complete 40 days of training and pass out with some form of competency test, under take "other subject matter training", whatever that means, and have knowledge and understanding of Thai law? Not sure how common sense can be measured - how do you measure that?

On your previous post you mention some volunteers are ex officers from forces in their own country. So? Are you suggesting all forces are highly competent and all officers within them are too? Not so in my experience in the UK where some forces failed to achieve the required standards and there are plenty of examples of officers being prosecuted for all sorts of offences. Do the RTP carry out a full background check on all applicants?

Not sure why you think being a retired member of one police protection unit should automatically mean someone is highly competent in all police work.

Volunteers who genuinely want to help, providing translation services and information to foreign residents and tourists do a terrific job and help both the foreigners and police. Those who want to do more and act like a regular police officer, or in UK terminology a Special Constable, going out on patrol, catching criminals, enforcing all laws and keeping the police, quite frankly, should stop the Walter Mitty life they seek. If they want to do that, go home and see if they're accepted and reach the standards required there.

Volunteers who do the translating and are willing to help at all hours, like the hotel owner in Phuket (Simon I think) are commendable. The ones who want to swagger around Pattaya at night time , with belts full of all sorts of things stuck on are ridiculous and an embarrassment to the foreign community. The ones I've seen watch too many American and British cop shows and seem to want to act like their in the Sweeney or something. I really hope the RTP never allow these to carry any form of weapon or act like they are real policemen - because they're not.

I wonder if there is any similarity in the motivations involved (whatever they may be) to become a Tourist Cop and becoming an internet forum moderator. (Forums in general...no particular one!). They're sort of similar positions.

You raise an interesting point.

The I presume is a volunteer mentions 40 days training which presumably is part of a selection process. Wonder if this process includes psychometric testing and also if the volunteers motivations are discussed. Presumably they could all do this in Thai, as they're so proficient in the language.

i assume the OP is referring to the foreign Tourist Police volunteers.

Here's a question to the OP.

The Thai Tourist Police have both foreign and Thai volunteers in their volunteer teams, (actually many more Thai volunteers than non-Thai volunteers).

Would the OP object if a Thai TP volunteer flagged him down and inspected his driving documents? Or is it a problem for the OP because the volunteer is not Thai.

As I previously stated, I think most tourist and western residents would have no objections to a Farang flagging them down, and certainly no objections to a Thai Tourist Police volunteer either.

You can include me in both of the above.

Having got the race, colour and religion issue out of the way, again I would like to ask has anybody seen this authority in writing, whereby it states that volunteers are legally permitted to ask for these documents.

You are very, very wrong!

I get sick hearing all the complaints about the Tourist Police from posters who have NO idea what they do, and what authority they have.

Many of the FOREIGN """wannabies""" have many years as police officers / detectives / inspectors or in the private sector in their original countries.

- Do you mean regular TP or wannabes? If you mean BIB/TP wannabes then I am also sick of hearing about them (not to mention seeing them).

- Your point being??? If a guy has been a policeman or a security guard in a mall back home does that mean he automatically has more authority in Thailand???blink.png

ALL Tourist Police volunteers act under orders / instructions from the Duty Officer of the unit. The authority comes from the INSTRUCTIONS the THAI DUTY OFFICER gives them. Foreign police volunteers are under the same instructions, BUT mainly deal with foreign tourists, while Thai volunteers deal with the Thai people.

"""I certainly would not stop for any of the wannabies!"" Many of the FOREIGN """wannabies""" have many years as police officers / detectives / inspectors or in the private sector in their original countries. I know of one ''''FOREIGN wannabie""" that was on the British Crown's protection detail.

ALL volunteers may stop you, ask for ID, and in the worst case "take you in custody" IF you are violating Thai law.

Ask the Japanese tourist who lost their child how grateful they are to the ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' who found the child 4 blocks away from where the child should have been. Ask the tourist about the ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' who got their gold chain back after it was ripped off their neck. Ask the tourist who was urinated on by a dancer and his statement was translated to the Thai authoritied by a ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' how he now feels now about the "justice" he received.

You are in a foreign country, the police question you, you DO NOT KNOW THE LANGUAGE the police are speaking, a ''''FOREIGN wannabie''' assists you in communication - I think you are in a MUCH better position with the help of the ''''FOREIGN wannabie'''

Oh, I forgot to mention, the ''''FOREIGN wannabies''' carry a list of phone ( on their phone ) numbers of the ''''FOREIGN wannabies''' that speak YOUR language, Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Italian, Spanish, and etc

From what you said your organisation are obviously doing some excellent and invaluable work.

Understandable you are getting sick of the perceived misrepresentations on this thread and others.

Thank you for finally adding some clarity.

You have been granted the authority to verify if someone is driving legally.

This is good to know, what really and solely distinguishes you from the Royal Thai Police then is the fact that you can speak another language.

No, what really distinguishes them is that they are not Thai nationals and have no work permits to perform police duties, hence absolutely no authority.

i assume the OP is referring to the foreign Tourist Police volunteers.

Here's a question to the OP.

The Thai Tourist Police have both foreign and Thai volunteers in their volunteer teams, (actually many more Thai volunteers than non-Thai volunteers).

Would the OP object if a Thai TP volunteer flagged him down and inspected his driving documents? Or is it a problem for the OP because the volunteer is not Thai.

As far as I am concerned you are right! thumbsup.gif

If a Farang police volunteer should flag me down I would speak/answer only in Thai pretending I do not speak English at all!

Could he answer no problem otherwise sorry call a Thai police.

...but OK to be honest I recognise humbly smile.png I have not the greatest sympathy for the police volunteers (sorry nobody's perfect)

No, what really distinguishes them is that they are not Thai nationals and have no work permits to perform police duties, hence absolutely no authority.

As far as I know... volunteer positions need a work permit too. I wonder why Tourist cops are exempt? (If they are that is...)

Why would anyone want to do this ? Explain it to me.

The Thai Ol' Bill must laugh at us. While they are taking their bungs, which is all they are really interested in, they give you sod all.

All they mainly do is get dosh out of motorists, they only get involved in severe crime and anytthing else they can get bunged for.

The tourist Bill just strut around in their self paid for uniforms for what reason ? Nothing else to do ?

As far as I know... volunteer positions need a work permit too. I wonder why Tourist cops are exempt? (If they are that is...)

" WORK PERMIT"............Do so research about working with / for a GOVERMENT AGENCY........hint, has something to do with the ID the goverment agency issues you and the restrictions the agency has in place.

I just wonder, why the hell anyone would want ANY police contat at all UNLESS it was fear of life or limb or damage etc to property or an emergency

Edited by edwardflory

Statements like the following;

"

ALL volunteers may stop you, ask for ID, and in the worst case "take you in custody" IF you are violating Thai law."

make me real scared.

What qualifies a former British Crown protection detail employee to assess whether I or others are in breach of what she/he thinks is Thai law?

For me this is very scary indeed

I'd be more happy and feel safer with volunteers having absolutely no authority at all.

OK, here is my take on this.

First, this topic is raised numerous times on the forum. I suppose it is a controversial subject, so this type of thread is great for web hits :)

These threads usually get closed when the mud-flinging from the pro and con camps gets too much, so it is good that posts have been reasonably civil (so far).

It seems that no-one criticises the good work of the Immigration volunteers, (heavens knows what the immigration office would do without their help).

Nor do posters criticise 'information, translation and assistance' roles, such as providing help to tourists (directions, lost bags etc), translation (police reports in Thai),, or assistance in contacting family/embassy etc when a foreign tourist is injured or arrested. (These types of volunteer work usually go un-noticed by the critics of the foreign police volunteers).

What seems to anger some posters is when the foreign volunteer takes on a more visible and physical role, such as assisting at police check points and checking documents etc. Or working undercover to catch bar-owners opening out of hours etc.

As has already been stated in this thread, the foreign volunteers at the checkpoints are working under the instruction of the Thai (salaried, not volunteer), police officer. The authority that they have is transient for that purpose. That is the same for any Thai national volunteers working the same tasks.

That Thai police officer could have delegated the same authority to any other person, foreign or Thai, volunteer or otherwise. It is similar to 'citizens arrest', (which btw, is not a 'formal' arrest). Anyone can make a citizens arrest in the right circumstances, (catching a thief red-handed etc, and detaining them until a police officer arrives).

Do some foreign police volunteers exceed their duty? Yes

Do some foreign police volunteers NOT exceed their duty? Yes!

Are some foreign police volunteers on a 'wanabee cop' trip? Yes!!

Are some foreign police volunteers working for the good of the foreign community and tourists? Absolutely.

My personal view (as a foreign police volunteer who has done this work in Phuket for about 8 years, and also in Bangkok and in Pattaya), is that unless the background vetting, ongoing training and assessment process of foreign police volunteers is greatly improved, the duties of these volunteers should be restricted to 'Tourist Assistance' duties, such as I have mentioned above.

As a note to add, I have never taken part in any police checkpoints, or undercover work or...or...That (imho), is police work for qualified and experienced police officers. If this type of work requires a foreign police officer, then they should be working in a salaried role with the Thai police.

It seems that no-one criticises the good work of the Immigration volunteers, (heavens knows what the immigration office would do without their help).

Nor do posters criticise 'information, translation and assistance' roles, such as providing help to tourists (directions, lost bags etc), translation (police reports in Thai),, or assistance in contacting family/embassy etc when a foreign tourist is injured or arrested. (These types of volunteer work usually go un-noticed by the critics of the foreign police volunteers).

What seems to anger some posters is when the foreign volunteer takes on a more visible and physical role, such as assisting at police check points and checking documents etc. Or working undercover to catch bar-owners opening out of hours etc.

Here's a thought. Maybe the immigration volunteers etc and the tourist cops are two totally different types of people with totally different motivations...and the way they act based on those different motivations will either please people or piss them off.

Edited by Fullstop

OK, here is my take on this.

First, this topic is raised numerous times on the forum. I suppose it is a controversial subject, so this type of thread is great for web hits smile.png

These threads usually get closed when the mud-flinging from the pro and con camps gets too much, so it is good that posts have been reasonably civil (so far).

As has already been stated in this thread, the foreign volunteers at the checkpoints are working under the instruction of the Thai (salaried, not volunteer), police officer. The authority that they have is transient for that purpose. That is the same for any Thai national volunteers working the same tasks.

That Thai police officer could have delegated the same authority to any other person, foreign or Thai, volunteer or otherwise. It is similar to 'citizens arrest', (which btw, is not a 'formal' arrest). Anyone can make a citizens arrest in the right circumstances, (catching a thief red-handed etc, and detaining them until a police officer arrives).

Do some foreign police volunteers exceed their duty? Yes

Do some foreign police volunteers NOT exceed their duty? Yes!

Are some foreign police volunteers on a 'wanabee cop' trip? Yes!!

Are some foreign police volunteers working for the good of the foreign community and tourists? Absolutely.

My personal view (as a foreign police volunteer who has done this work in Phuket for about 8 years, and also in Bangkok and in Pattaya), is that unless the background vetting, ongoing training and assessment process of foreign police volunteers is greatly improved, the duties of these volunteers should be restricted to 'Tourist Assistance' duties, such as I have mentioned above.

As a note to add, I have never taken part in any police checkpoints, or undercover work or...or...That (imho), is police work for qualified and experienced police officers. If this type of work requires a foreign police officer, then they should be working in a salaried role with the Thai police.

I think you are really hitting the nail on the head here Simon43.

At the end of the day I think this whole issue about the Touist police Volunteers boils down to two points, in fact maybe somebody might be kind enough to start a poll on this subject:

What role do you feel that the Farang Tourist Police Volunteers should be playing:

1, Solely to offer help and assistance

2. The above and Thai law enforcement

Tourist police are not the same as Immigration foreign volunteers.

Which is the OP talking about?

We did have a very good volunteer at Jomtien Immigrations, but the one who followed him was actually worse than useless. I don't think he lasted very long. There may be another there now, but I've not had any dealings with him.

I think most readers would have no objections to Farangs assisting the Thai Police in their duties.

I can't speak for "most readers" (nor should the O/P) and have had virtually no contact with any police other than immigrations officers, but I'd rather not deal with some farang police wannabe on a power trip. Fortunately they're pretty thin on the ground any place I would ever go.

I think its important to remember that if you have a problem with one always report it. Most of the time the bad ones get away with it because no one reports it and their bosses had no idea what they were doing. Ive had two of them fired for extorting money and the only reason they got away with it so long is that people were too scared to report them.

Edited by phycokiller

"ALL Tourist Police volunteers act under orders / instructions from the Duty Officer of the unit." - that's what concers me. cheesy.gif

Not a great record with volunteers in Phuket.

One was a drug dealer, another was a murderer and another a high profile police wannabe, car with flashing lights included (the Rawai bloke).

Of them all, the immigration volunteers are probably the most well-regarded, but, even there it's patchy. Have been given wrong info by one of them on more than one occasion.

As Simon has stated and most long-term residents know. There are generally two types of volunteers. Ones who are in it for themselves (for whatever reason) and those that genuinely want to help.

The question is, is having the latter worth putting up with the former.

Personally, I don't think so. They should mothball the whole program and start training Thais, from their respective departments to take over.

After all, the place you get your driving license has a Thai lady that vets everyone's paperwork first before allowing to proceed.

If they can do it, why not other government departments?

Edited by KarenBravo

Here's a thought. Maybe the immigration volunteers etc and the tourist cops are two totally different types of people with totally different motivations...and the way they act based on those different motivations will either please people or piss them off.

You are correct. The Immigration Volunteer program and the Tourist Police Volunteers (TPV) are two complete different and independent programs which attracts different type of people. (most PIV volunteers would never accept working for the TPV for the reasons discussed in this topic)

The Immigration Volunteers under the direct supervision from the immigration department HQ in Bangkok via the Phuket immigration boss.

The foreign police volunteers have the power to flag people down etc., see also a question in ask the lawyer.

who says they have the authority to "flag" down anyone? I certainly would not stop for any of the wannabies! if you are not Thai get your foreign ass out of my face! would go to court to test this and I doubt the "dear" leader would appreciate a foreigner interfering in his education of ignorant thai. i refer to the nightly nation wide broadcast on telling thai's how to think and behave.

I live in thailand to associate with the Thai's not some foreign wannabe..

Check 'ask the lawyer'. I don't think tourist police volunteers have the power, but they don't anyway. It is always police volunteers flagging people down.

As per the suggestion above, I have created a separate thread with poll - please vote and comment!

I have just read one of your other posts on this subject from a different thread, it is so good it merits re-posting on this thread:

So, under Thai labour law, should he have a work permit, or not?

As I have stated on many previous threads, yes he should have a WP. No exception to this requirement exists in Thai Labour legislation.

The reason why he does not have a WP is because the Thai police believe themselves to be above the law. Many years ago (I have been a police volunteer since about 2006), I tried to persuade my Thai superiors to apply for WPs for the TPV team. It was like speaking to a brick wall.

A general comment:

Time and time again we read about crimes committed by police volunteers (Gary Halpin drugs, Dork ? body in the bin murder etc). Time and time again we read about totally unprofessional behavior of some of these foreign volunteers.

The bottom line is that something is clearly very amiss in the assessment and training program for these foreign volunteers for such crimes and behavior to occur.

Is a comprehensive background check being made for new volunteers? (I know that the true answer is no)

Do new applicants undergo psychological tests to ascertain their potential behavior 'in the field'? The answer is no

Are all volunteers monitored and assessed on a regular basis by a competent superior? The answer is no

Do all volunteers speak Thai language to a level sufficient to converse with any Thai police officer or member of the public at an incident? The answer is no

I could go on and on with my constructive criticism of the volunteer programs, but it is simply wasting my energy because no advice or constructive criticism from a foreigner would be taken on board. It's very frustrating!

I still work as a volunteer police officer, but restrict my activities to helping tourists at the airport - I see my work really as a 'PR' role for the Tourist Police for arriving tourists.

Simon

As I have stated on many previous threads, yes he should have a WP. No exception to this requirement exists in Thai Labour legislation.

The reason why he does not have a WP is because the Thai police believe themselves to be above the law. Many years ago (I have been a police volunteer since about 2006), I tried to persuade my Thai superiors to apply for WPs for the TPV team. It was like speaking to a brick wall.

A general comment:

Time and time again we read about crimes committed by police volunteers (Gary Halpin drugs, Dork ? body in the bin murder etc). Time and time again we read about totally unprofessional behavior of some of these foreign volunteers.

The bottom line is that something is clearly very amiss in the assessment and training program for these foreign volunteers for such crimes and behavior to occur.

Is a comprehensive background check being made for new volunteers? (I know that the true answer is no)

Do new applicants undergo psychological tests to ascertain their potential behavior 'in the field'? The answer is no

Are all volunteers monitored and assessed on a regular basis by a competent superior? The answer is no

Do all volunteers speak Thai language to a level sufficient to converse with any Thai police officer or member of the public at an incident? The answer is no

I could go on and on with my constructive criticism of the volunteer programs, but it is simply wasting my energy because no advice or constructive criticism from a foreigner would be taken on board. It's very frustrating!

I still work as a volunteer police officer, but restrict my activities to helping tourists at the airport - I see my work really as a 'PR' role for the Tourist Police for arriving tourists.

Simon

Why does the TPV not have a proper application process and a assessment system ?

The immigration volunteers need to undergo a background check conducted by the Police in Bangkok in cooperation of the involved embassy.

Only after this check is done can he start the training and probation period.

They also have a assessment system which can the volunteer being fired in case of misconduct etc.

Why does the TPV not have a proper application process and a assessment system ?

The immigration volunteers need to undergo a background check conducted by the Police in Bangkok in cooperation of the involved embassy.

Only after this check is done can he start the training and probation period.

They also have a assessment system which can the volunteer being fired in case of misconduct etc.

You would need to direct those questions to my Thai bosses smile.png

There needs to be a psychological test/assessment of each applicant and that test to be repeated throughout their volunteer career. (

There should be a continual assessment and improvement program, not just an option to fire the volunteer after they 'misbehave'.

There should be a structured training program which helps the volunteer to improve his/her ability to provide an efficient service. (Attending a half-day presentation about how wonderful the TP are, all in Thai language, is not - imho - a suitable training/improvement program).

However, my suggestions are not really that realistic, probably because there are so very few suitable applicants for this volunteer work. As an example, in my 10 or so years of working at the airport with other TPVs, I have never met any volunteer who can speak Thai, (ordering a beer and a bar-girl do not count). (I speak/read/write reasonable Thai, did an MSc at Chulalongkorn yonks ago...)

The police have to take what is available, which varies from wonderful to w*nkers smile.png

Edited by simon43

The foreign police volunteers have the power to flag people down etc., see also a question in ask the lawyer.

I did, and it seems the lawyer is answering what powers the TP have, not TP volunteers.

I did, and it seems the lawyer is answering what powers the TP have, not TP volunteers.

Read the answer about police volunteers, not the one about tourist police volunteers. Often mixed up.