Thai Culture Ministry encouraging traditional attire

webfact

Ministry of Culture encouraging traditional attire

BANGKOK, 5 May 2015 (NNT)-The Ministry of Culture is to launch a campaign to encourage Thais to wear traditional Thai clothes more often.

Culture Minister Weera Rojpojanarat said the Department of Cultural Promotion will ask universities in Bangkok and other provinces to promote locally made textiles by encouraging their staff to wear them.

The Ministry of Education will be asked for its cooperation to do the same with school students.

The Ministry of Culture will also be making awards to individuals who wear traditional Thai clothes during the campaign.

The campaign is expected to be launched in August, as soon as the cabinet gives it a green light. A survey will also be conducted to collect historic information on Thai traditional textiles.

People from various social groups will be invited to join a network set up specifically to promote the wearing of traditional Thai clothes.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-05 footer_n.gif

Thai traditional clothes prior to or after the 1941 clothing mandate? If prior to we should expect loads of exposed boobies :-)

Imagine, for once a Thai Ministry has got the near total approval of TVF members rolleyes.gif

Fools still have their minds in the dark ages. Mind you they might not be that stupid; after all if Thai women went back to traditional dress they'd all be topless so the Thai minister might just enjoy an eyeful of titty along with all the expat bar stool crowd.

Ministry of What? With so little Thai culture left other than the temples, a palace or two and occasional dancing displays for the tourists in major cities, this lot are clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel of ideas in order to justify their existence.

Haven't they noticed how Westernised young Thais and even their parents are becoming? I am trying to imagine being the daughter of a teenage girl university student and telling her she'll have to swap her tight blouse and pencil skirt for the sort of garb her grandmother wore.

Honestly, you couldn't make it up. But they do, they do .

Many of the teachers where i work like to occasionally wear silk jackets; looks nice.

in the first school I taught at upcountry, years ago, all teachers were required to wear heavy, padded silk jackets every Friday.

Add that mandate to fan-only classrooms, and no dry-cleaning facilities in town--I was nearly half-dead by Friday night from heat stroke and my own stench.

I personally like the traditional Thai dress...that is the type of "Thainess" tourists and ex-pats can enjoy...and Thais can be proud of...where is the down side?

I personally like the traditional Thai dress...that is the type of "Thainess" tourists and ex-pats can enjoy...and Thais can be proud of...where is the down side?

The downside is that in our modern time "traditional" Thai garb (by that you probably mean the fanciful costumes worn during parades and other festivities, and not the ACTUAL traditional dress; see photo further up in this thread) is entirely impractical at the work place and even during leisure time for the average citizen, no matter how photogenic it may look.

Time has moved on even in Thailand - but apparently not in that silly ministry.

Could you imagine that half of Britain goes back to wearing tricorn hats, heavy longtail coats with stiff high collars and laquered shoes with huge brass buckles in their daily lives, or the working population of southern Germany from now on resorting to lederhosen and woolen knee socks when going to the office?

This is more of the dear Generals wish to see women covered from shoulder to ankle and get back to the 1930's where his parents came from. Stand by for more 'education' of this type as the country slowly slithers backwards and all 'common people' live in mud huts and use chalk and slate to be 'educated'.

The downside is that in our modern time "traditional" Thai garb (by that you probably mean the fanciful costumes worn during parades and other festivities, and not the ACTUAL traditional dress; see photo further up in this thread) is entirely impractical at the work place and even during leisure time for the average citizen, no matter how photogenic it may look.

Time has moved on even in Thailand - but apparently not in that silly ministry.

Could you imagine that half of Britain goes back to wearing tricorn hats, heavy longtail coats with stiff high collars and laquered shoes with huge brass buckles in their daily lives, or the working population of southern Germany from now on resorting to lederhosen and woolen knee socks when going to the office?

No offence meant, but I doubt that half of Britain ever had enough money to wear the attire you describe.

Conservatives always have an excess of nostalgia. Young people will certainly ignore this.

But I will do my part. I'm thinking a linen suit and Panama hat would be nice.

Finally, I'm back at the sartorial cutting edge!

I don't understand silly appeals to tradition. Imagine if Rush Limbaugh or Michael Moore (or pick any other loudmouth know-it-all) said that Americans should go back to their "traditional" clothing for the office. We'd all have a conniption fit, but the Thais in America would probably think it's cute and that it's a shame we all don't dress that way.

James_Monroe_Cabinet.jpg