What role do you feel that the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers should be playing?

simon43

Poll - What role do you feel that the foreign Tourist Police Volunteers should be playing:  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few Thai ladies speak German or English (or other languages) though, they learned them from Farang customers, boyfriends or husbands.

Off-course a lot of girls can speak English,

What is your name?

Where do you come from?

You handsome man.

Where do you stay?

Buy me a drink?

I go with you?

etc etc etc

But i don't think that we are looking for this kind of translation service.

don't forget: "Up to you"

By the way, since I have seem some tourist "police" there for many years, I wonder do they get a special visa in order to stay there?

No, there is no special visa. I think most volunteers are either on O (marriage or retirement) or B (business).

Many years ago, after a huge effort on my part, I was issued with a volunteer police visa. But this was only for 3 months and the extension was such a hassle (trying to obtain the supporting docs from my Thai bosses), that I changed to a different visa type (can't recall what it was, maybe ED).

PS:

Don't forget to pay her for assistance.

You don't seem to understand the concept of 'volunteer' :)

Edited by simon43

how can u "work" as a volunteer on a ed visa??

that I changed to a different visa type (can't recall what it was, maybe ED).

so in reality all police /immigration volunteers are working illegally??

as a regular volunteer ( say at a ngo or school) needs the correct visa with wp.

how can u "work" as a volunteer on a ed visa??

The stipulated criteria issued by the Thai Tourist Police for their foreign volunteers is any type of non-immigrant visa

Do they need to pass a language test?

Which language? :)

I assume you mean Thai language. For the TPVs in Phuket, the answer is no. Although the preference is for volunteers who can speak Thai, the sad fact is that the vast majority of expats cannot speak Thai. If the language requirement was strictly applied, there would only be about TPVs to cover the island.

That being said, the TPV team can provide assistance in a variety of languages, from French to Arabic, Chinese to Russian.

their role at the time is help.they have no powers of arrest in my opinion they should be able to check for visa violations or passport irregularities .

FYI, every citizen in the free world has the power to make an arrest. Read a book. Perhaps you might start with the good one.

Courage and power, maybe start with a dictionary.

Do they need to pass a language test?

Which language? smile.png

I assume you mean Thai language. For the TPVs in Phuket, the answer is no. Although the preference is for volunteers who can speak Thai, the sad fact is that the vast majority of expats cannot speak Thai. If the language requirement was strictly applied, there would only be about TPVs to cover the island.

That being said, the TPV team can provide assistance in a variety of languages, from French to Arabic, Chinese to Russian.

That is terrible you live in a country and volunteer but can't speak the local language!

These cowboys..