Thai lottery vendors warned not to overcharge lottery in June

webfact

Lottery vendors warned not to overcharge lottery in June

5-5-2558-16-22-09-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Lottery vendors are warned that if they charge lottery tickets more than 80 baht apiece starting June they will face legal actions, said Maj-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd, deputy spokesman of the government, today.

He also warned any individuals who may want to instigate lottery vendors or disable lottery vendors to protest against the government over a new order on lottery quota reallocation and price control to refrain from doing so otherwise they too will face punishments.

He said that once the contracts between the Government Lottery Office and the big lottery distributors have expired at the end of May, the entire lottery quota distribution system will be rearranged to bypass the middlemen.

All the lottery traders, including small retailers or vendors, will receive lottery tickets from the GLO at much lower price probably 70 baht apiece so they still have a profit to sell them to consumers at 80 baht apiece, said Maj-Gen Sansern.

Besides, he added that the government would set up a fund to buy back unwanted or unsalable tickets from the retailers so that they will no longer have an excuse to overcharge consumers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/lottery-vendors-warned-not-to-overcharge-lottery-in-june

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-05-05

yeah right, we are being ripped off as it is. Forget the vendors, only sell them in the 7/11's etc where they always cost the same price for everyone, and ou also get a receipt.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Staying Jun. What wrong with immediately. Crouption has no end and no begin over here. It's constant

If you had read the OP you'd maybe understand the whole thing:

He said that once the contracts between the Government Lottery Office and the big lottery distributors have expired at the end of May, the entire lottery quota distribution system will be rearranged to bypass the middlemen.

This and the fact that 'somebody' will buy back unsold tickets is a prerequisite to make a price of 80 Baht possible at all.

The only thing I wonder is how the buying back will work, because up to now one could buy tickets until a couple of hours before the drawing. I guess the have to set an erlier deadline for the unsold tickets to be reported back from all over Thailand.

yeah right, we are being ripped off as it is. Forget the vendors, only sell them in the 7/11's etc where they always cost the same price for everyone, and ou also get a receipt.

I'd rather buy the ticket from a disabled person who has no other way to make a living than from 7-Eleven, Even if I pay him/her 100 or 120, it's better than paying Baht 80 for a ticket at 7-Eleven and then forcing the disabled person to beg for Baht 20 or Baht 40 outside the shop.

It's nice that so many of you come from corruption-free countries where everyone obeys all the laws, although I expect many farang have fantasy notions about how things are done back in Farang Utopia where bankers, politicians and ceo's steal billions. But hey let's get our knickers in a knot about someone in a wheelchair or some old lady making an extra 10 or 20 baht per ticket.

Many of you probably think buying a lottery ticket is an investment and have already planned how you'll spend your millions. Of course if your life revolves around the need to save 10 baht on a lottery ticket, maybe being a winner would be an entirely new experience for you.

Edited by Suradit69

sell with lotery machines in authorized outlets, choose your own nimbers.

can't be that difficult, everone else uses this system.

I never see a "disabled" person selling lotery tickets!

they just launched an app to report taxi drivers who refuse fares and refuse to use the meter

I hope someone is working on an app so we can report ticket vendors who do not sell at 80 baht

so what's the app ? someone was asking on another post if i remember correctly ....

sell with lotery machines in authorized outlets, choose your own nimbers.

can't be that difficult, everone else uses this system.

I never see a "disabled" person selling lotery tickets!

there are many disabled lottery ticket sellers on ratchadamnoen avenue and indeed around bangkok

if people didn't pay the inflated price the sellers wouldn't be able to charge it.

i have a thai friend whose mother is involved in an illegal lottery on the back of the official lottery and apparently people pay even more for tickets in this lottery.

as with many things here it's a murky world once you scratch the surface

This is never going to work,as its all about money,the tickets

go through many hands,each getting a profit,BEFORE they even

get to the ticket sellers on the streets,

The only way anything can change is if they import some lottery

ticket machines ,and sell them to anyone who wants to operate

one,for sure they would be in every 7-11,you would be able to

purchase your own series of numbers,there would be no over

printing of tickets as happens now,the only problem I can see

this would never happen,as having to import machines,would

be seen as loss of face,as our Thai way of doing the lottery works !

regards Worgeordie

With all of the problems that Thailand is... ahem... trying to overcome, why is the price of a lottery ticket so high up on the list of priorities? Someone making 20 baht on the sale of a lottery ticket seems like a very small fish in a very, very big pond.

Is this that thing called Thainess again? Do I, as a farang, just not understand the importance of lottery ticket pricing? tongue.png

there are obviously a set number of tickets that are sold so they should know the final amount to be awarded, why dont they simply draw the numbers and if the winning ticket is not sold the prize jackpots. We have a similar lottery in Australia, a set number of tickets are sold with the prize money set, if no one buys the winning ticket it continues to jackpot till someone does. This would make it much easier to control and the winning ticket is not announced till the unsold tickets are all returned for a refund, all done with set dates or the lottery is not drawn till all tickets are sold. They just need to organize it a lot better than it is now

they just launched an app to report taxi drivers who refuse fares and refuse to use the meter

I hope someone is working on an app so we can report ticket vendors who do not sell at 80 baht

If anyone requires email for taxi complaint try this one ... thats the complaint address for taxis bangkok.

[email protected]

I'd rather buy the ticket from a disabled person who has no other way to make a living than from 7-Eleven, Even if I pay him/her 100 or 120, it's better than paying Baht 80 for a ticket at 7-Eleven and then forcing the disabled person to beg for Baht 20 or Baht 40 outside the shop.

It's nice that so many of you come from corruption-free countries where everyone obeys all the laws, although I expect many farang have fantasy notions about how things are done back in Farang Utopia where bankers, politicians and ceo's steal billions. But hey let's get our knickers in a knot about someone in a wheelchair or some old lady making an extra 10 or 20 baht per ticket.

Many of you probably think buying a lottery ticket is an investment and have already planned how you'll spend your millions. Of course if your life revolves around the need to save 10 baht on a lottery ticket, maybe being a winner would be an entirely new experience for you.

I agree 100% with your first comment. I'd much rather buy from a disabled seller than one that arrives on a motorcycle and then stands in front of me for 5 minutes while I'm trying to eat a restaurant meal, even though I've politely told him (in Thai) that I'm not interested.

Realistically, I'd prefer a situation where the disabled aren't forced into selling lottery tickets to avoid starvation. I think a far better solution would be to have a welfare system to provide a 'safety net' for the disabled and poverty stricken. Sadly, I can't imagine this happening here in LOS in my lifetime.

In some western countries, there are no unsold lottery tickets at all, because people simply tick their numbers on the grid of the ticket.

The thai system is not of any logic.

What would had been the best option and opportunity for GLO to revamp and modernized Thai lottery system, when the allocation quota has expired, they chose to go back to the dinosaur age of distributing lottery tickets the conventional way...instead of implementing the online lottery ( via lottery dispensing machines ) as those developing countries have has success such as Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and even Vietnam.

Well....1 small step forward ( eradicating the middlemen ) but 10 steps backward ( print first then sell ).......

What happened to all the talks about the government were so adamant about moving into digital age and have had spoken about using the lottery dispensing machines, as a solution to solve lottery issues, even to the point of using convenience stores to adopt such advanced system but only to fall back flat to square one.......

Many many years ago, Loxley in partnership with Gtech, the world's largest lottery system solution provider, have won the bid to assist GLO to modernized the lottery system but yet todate, they still have the lottery dispensing machines waiting to be used....

Some of the advantages of the lottery dispensing machines :-

1. No need to pre-print the lottery tickets but as and when people buys them, it will be printed...

so save time and efforts to think how to implement buy back unsold tickets....

2. Each lottery ticket sold at standard 1 price....no overcharging

3. People have the choice to choose what numbers they wish to buy....

4. Flexible enough to do 2 or 3 or 4 or 6 digit numbers, when GLO wish to introduce other form of games in the near future....

5. Do away with middlemen

Well....the only disadvantage is the " disable " or those " poor " people needing a job to earn their living but isn't this falls under the welfare department ?

I am sure there are other better jobs than selling lottery for a living.....

Using the same 30 years old method of selling lottery tickets is definitely not the solution and Thailand deserves to be at the same platform as their neighboring countries in terms of technology......If by June '15, such system stays....it is a sad day for a promising country like Thailand which has so much more capability and expertise, to be a leader in this Asean region......

What would had been the best option and opportunity for GLO to revamp and modernized Thai lottery system, when the allocation quota has expired, they chose to go back to the dinosaur age of distributing lottery tickets the conventional way...instead of implementing the online lottery ( via lottery dispensing machines ) as those developing countries have has success such as Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and even Vietnam.

Well....1 small step forward ( eradicating the middlemen ) but 10 steps backward ( print first then sell ).......

What happened to all the talks about the government were so adamant about moving into digital age and have had spoken about using the lottery dispensing machines, as a solution to solve lottery issues, even to the point of using convenience stores to adopt such advanced system but only to fall back flat to square one.......

Many many years ago, Loxley in partnership with Gtech, the world's largest lottery system solution provider, have won the bid to assist GLO to modernized the lottery system but yet todate, they still have the lottery dispensing machines waiting to be used....

Some of the advantages of the lottery dispensing machines :-

1. No need to pre-print the lottery tickets but as and when people buys them, it will be printed...

so save time and efforts to think how to implement buy back unsold tickets....

2. Each lottery ticket sold at standard 1 price....no overcharging

3. People have the choice to choose what numbers they wish to buy....

4. Flexible enough to do 2 or 3 or 4 or 6 digit numbers, when GLO wish to introduce other form of games in the near future....

5. Do away with middlemen

Well....the only disadvantage is the " disable " or those " poor " people needing a job to earn their living but isn't this falls under the welfare department ?

I am sure there are other better jobs than selling lottery for a living.....

Using the same 30 years old method of selling lottery tickets is definitely not the solution and Thailand deserves to be at the same platform as their neighboring countries in terms of technology......If by June '15, such system stays....it is a sad day for a promising country like Thailand which has so much more capability and expertise, to be a leader in this Asean region......

"Well....the only disadvantage is the " disable " or those " poor " people needing a job to earn their living but isn't this falls under the welfare department ?"

Great way to solve the whole unemployment issue. Just shift them all on to welfare. That worked so well in the nanny states of Europe. Just issue some more debt and don't worry about repaying it.

"We" pay very little in the way of taxes here and I doubt many expats contribute any significant amount to charities here. Lottery tickets are not an essential necessity of life. Why not let the poor & disabled make a few baht legally out of what amounts to gambling.

those developing countries have has success such as Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and even Vietnam.

The per capita GDP of Singapore exceeds that of both UK and the US.

Edited by Suradit69

Why not use the money saved by cutting out the midlemen and using an all electronic lottery

to subsidise either directly or by creating jobs for the ex poor and disabled lottery ticket sellers ???

Yes but

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Loxley-shares-up-as-it-is-off-hook-in-Thaksin-era--30146159.html