Transferring visa/extention/re-entry permit from old to new passport

I just received a new passport from my embassy in Bangkok because the old one was due to expire in less than six months and I need to travel outside Thailand soon.

I received the letter from my embassy certifying the new passport and asking Thai immigration to transfer visa/re-entry permit etc from old to new passport.

I did the same thing 10 years ago when my passport last expired, but it was so long ago that I can't remember what the procedure was for arranging the transfer.

Do I have to transfer the stamps immediately? It has already been a week since I picked up the new passport and had the old one invalidated. Or can I wait till just before my extension of stay expires in June?

I do my extensions at One Stop so assume I go there to do it.

Thanks.

I don't think that there is any time limit, but you will have to do it before you leave the country the next time. It's best to do it as soon as it's convenient as that emergency can come up at any time and you will have to do it before you leave. I waited until my next extension, about 2 months, when I did my last one and nothing was said.

As wayned has said, sooner rather than later is definitely preferable. But, given that your current extension of stay will be expiring in June, you will presumably be applying for a new extension within the next few weeks in any case? It is possible to apply for a new extension up to 30 days before the existing one expires at most immigration offices - and even up to 45 days beforehand at a few offices. You won't lose out time-wise by applying for a new extension early (i.e. you will still be stamped for a year from your current permission to stay regardless).

I am in similar situation, will be renewing passport soon. I am on retirement visa, which I renewed in March. Rather than a one year visa, they gave me one valid up through November, when current passport expires. I wonder if they will give me those months back when I transfer visa? Anyone have a similar experience with situation like this?

You will not get the extra months. In November you have to file for a whole new extension of stay, with all required paperwork, with your new paspsort and they will issue a 1 year extension of stay for the usual fee of 1,900 baht.

You have to do it as soon as possible. I waited until it was time to do the 90 day immigration reporting, The officer was seriously angry with me for waiting a month before transferring the stamps to the new passport. Apparently according to him it must be done immediately. But I am sure it is different from officer to officer.

• Like 1

As I understand it Immigration will only renew an extension up to the valid date of an expiring passport.

I am a UK citizen and we can renew our passports at any time and have 9 months of time left on an expiring passport transferred to a new passport.

My question is, in the case I have a passport with say 15 months left before expiry, so get a full 12 month extension, but then 6 months later renew my passport, would I be able to use both passports to travel (new passport and old with extension) or would I have to transfer the extension to the new passport first.

I am in similar situation, will be renewing passport soon. I am on retirement visa, which I renewed in March. Rather than a one year visa, they gave me one valid up through November, when current passport expires. I wonder if they will give me those months back when I transfer visa? Anyone have a similar experience with situation like this?

No, the three months won't be given to you. They used to do that, but no more.

You can apply for a new annual extension up to 30 days before the current one ends, but you will get a full year from November to November from now on.

Please see the announcement and comments: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/

Announcement

According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013,

when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry,

the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport.

After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport,

you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ).

In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day.

Source: http://bangkok.immig....th/intro1.html

and here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/806360-passport-expiry-retirement-extension/

transfer the visa stamp before you apply for an extension. otherwise the extension will be capped by your passport's validity. the re-entry permit won't be transferred. you will have to pay for a new one.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

As I understand it Immigration will only renew an extension up to the valid date of an expiring passport.

I am a UK citizen and we can renew our passports at any time and have 9 months of time left on an expiring passport transferred to a new passport.

My question is, in the case I have a passport with say 15 months left before expiry, so get a full 12 month extension, but then 6 months later renew my passport, would I be able to use both passports to travel (new passport and old with extension) or would I have to transfer the extension to the new passport first.

Once you have the new PP just take it along with the old PP to Immigration where all relevant detail will be transferred to the new passport

I went through the same thing recently. I thought I could be clever and minimise costs, as I was then going out of Thailand for a week, but it didnt work. ..

On receipt of the new passport they (UK immig/embassy agency in Bangkok)) cancelled the old one. ...

Then I took the new and cancelled one to Thai immig and I had to transfer all my old stuff, visa, extension entry dates etc across.

I bought a re-entry permit on the new uptodate Thai compliant one. .

Its not a problem just costs a bit more and of course it means more visits as some stages do not have a same day collection. You cannot save time or money, their procedure doesn't take efficiency into account.

I asked at UK immigration if they were concerned about the dates on my passport. They said 'no so long as it was valid for that day'. It is the Thai end who insist you have excess time on your passport as it has to be not less than the visa etc. Running out the time on the passport messes up the permits the Thai immigration will give you.

Observations please on this theoretical scenario:

Extension of stay expires on 1/1/2016. UK passport expires on 1/4/2016. Get new passport in November 2015 and have all the paraphernalia transferred from old to new. Apply for new EOS in December presenting new passport.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Once you have the new PP just take it along with the old PP to Immigration where all relevant detail will be transferred to the new passport

Thanks NZE, but maybe I didn't explain the situation enough.

I plan to renew my passport whilst on a trip to the UK.

Would I be able to re - enter using the new passport and the expired passport with the current extension.

Would I be able to re - enter using the new passport and the expired passport with the current extension.

Only if the old passport contains a valid visa or re-entry permit.

An "extension " will not allow entry into Thailand

Only if the old passport contains a valid visa or re-entry permit.

An "extension " will not allow entry into Thailand

Old passport with extension and re-entry permit + new passport would allow re-entry, then get the extension transferred at Immigration......Yes?

• Like 1

I'm still a bit confused on this. I got my retirement extension today and it expires on the day my passport expires, January 16, 2016 instead of May 2016. She said to come in December with a new passport and do the extension (again). She said they are making sure one year visas expire on the same day as passport expirations. Odd, but that's how it goes.

But I have two questions.

1. I'm still confused about this "passports that expire within 6 months" thing in terms of traveling abroad. I ASSUME I can go to the US and back (I'm American), but that going to any other country MAY BE out of the question. Is that right?

2. And then, and I apologize if someone already answered this, if I get my new US passport by July, do I just go to immigration to have the current visa transferred, and then do my normal extension in December or early January 2016?

Thank you.

1. That depends on the country you will visit. Each has its own requirement. Some will want 6 months, others are satisfied if the passport is valid for the intended duration of stay, etc.

2. Correct. (You have all details and extension transferred, the visa itself is expired and not transferred)

I went to the Airport short ago and got stamps transfered there, no problem.

I was anyway leaving soon, after I got my new Passport

As my Provincial immigration would not give me a short 7 day extension on my 60 day extension for having Thai children I had to overstay some days. I decided to do that when my trip over the border, -border run- was also spoiled, when my children could not make a border Pass for Lao alone.

At least, the younger one needed a Thai person applying for him.blink.png

As my Provincial immigration would not give me a short 7 day extension on my 60 day extension for having Thai children I had to overstay some days. I decided to do that when my trip over the border, -border run- was also spoiled, when my children could not make a border Pass for Lao alone.

At least, the younger one needed a Thai person applying for him. alt=blink.png>

Clearly you had nothing to transfer !

You were just sent away having paid the overstay !

Clearly you had nothing to transfer !

You were just sent away having paid the overstay !

Had you been there? tongue.png

They transfered information about my status from the old to the new Passport.

Needed some time to do that.

My old Passport was already cancelled and perforated from my Consulate.

My EXIT stamp was in my new Passport than and needed a reason to be there. rolleyes.gif

You have to do it as soon as possible. I waited until it was time to do the 90 day immigration reporting, The officer was seriously angry with me for waiting a month before transferring the stamps to the new passport. Apparently according to him it must be done immediately. But I am sure it is different from officer to officer.

LOL:

i transferred my stamps/re entry from old to new in Feb here in Phuket, ( do not forget the letter the Embassy gives you !!)

the Farang vol at immigration said no reason to as i could just wait and do it when my extension expired (July)

I said, no thanks as long as i am here and had waited in line

tell me again why we need these guys??

Edited by phuketrichard

What does immigration charge to transfer the stamps?