CP All responds to 7-Eleven boycott

webfact

Unfortunately, this is the 21st century and the modern 7-11s, Family Marts and supermarkets will always beat the ugly mom and pop stores. It's business.

While I personally would prefer to support small businesses, let's be frank, would you buy from these small and unclean non air conditioned provision shops or would you prefer the nice, bright and cool 7-11s?

You hit on the mark.

Stores (such as 7/11) are designed to "push our buttons". The colors, neatness, temperature, placement of goods, consistent service, etc.... to become addictive.

I do believe that door buzzer noise is not to alert staff of incoming people....so much as it is to exact a "conditioned reflex" (see Pavlov) in customers. Ding Ding...and boom...you are back in a familiar territory of known prices, goods, colors and cool temperature.

Psychologically addictive.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I no longer go to 7/11.

Nor do I buy cp products.

There is a reason for that.

I find tesco lotus is ok for my needs.

Isn't Lotus one of the major buyers of CP products?

What's that got to do with the price of fish.

I said,"I don't buy cp products"

I didn't say I don't buy from shops that sell cp products.

I buy other brands and things at tesco lotus.

7/11 is owned by cp products.

Unfortunately, this is the 21st century and the modern 7-11s, Family Marts and supermarkets will always beat the ugly mom and pop stores. It's business.

While I personally would prefer to support small businesses, let's be frank, would you buy from these small and unclean non air conditioned provision shops or would you prefer the nice, bright and cool 7-11s?

Typically I go out of my way (not real far) to go to a mom and pop shop. My dislike for huge corporations grows daily. I also appreciate mom a pop shops because I like like to drink beer anytime I wish.

Well said Sir!

The licensing hours here are are ridiculous. They do nothing to curb excess drinking by the Thais. They only inconvenience normal.people who would have an alcoholic drink in the afternoon or after midnight. Way too much Thainess for me! Wish we could swap out all the 7-11's for privately owned stores.

Take a deep breath, and let it out slowly. You are now blaming 7-11 for Thailand having alcohol selling times, and they are certainly not responsible for it. By the way, here in Pattaya, you can walk into any 7-11, at any time of day, and buy alcohol. They ignore the selling hours in this tourist city. The law is aimed at Thai's.

I am perfectly calm thank you. Dont misunderstand my post then proceed to tell me what I said. I did not say that at all. Try reading my post again.

I'm glad to hear that you are not inconvenienced by the law in Pattaya when it applies to buying alcohol. It must make up in some part for having to live there.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

More 7/11's in Thailand than in the whole of the USA.Thailand population +-65 million USA population 450 million +-.

Why do Thais need so many shops?

cause they're driving around on motor scooters.

Mates i don't want to disrupt your dreams but have a look at this website.

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/us-population/

USA population is 325 million clap2.gif not 450 thumbsup.gif

Now in Europe,can't believe how much cheaper everything in supermarkets is, for example, beer 15 baht a bottle!

Beer in Europe are generally much cheaper and better than thai-beer that mostly taste as I would assume horsepi$$ taste like.

I have nothing against 7/11 but buy my booze in Mom/Pop-shop as its cheaper and they sell alcohol at any time

The big difference is not the population but that, in the USA, the 7-11's are more expensive than the same items at a supermarket or Walmart but in Thailand they are only a few baht more than Tesco/Tesco Express or BigC.

I must admit after a while I like the majority live and learn.I too like the 7-11 for the prices of several things,and the layout and easy conveinence of all.why go to runchok rimping to somewhere that targets the farang,dont even have the bottle to display the prices,but make a big effort to display a number that looks ok,which turns out to be a the code for that item.Over the years I have realised there is a great difference in my spending,since using the likes of 7-11.I am not a skinflint but i believe in fair play.There is nothing in the likes of Rimping that is worth overspending just because its in a brown bag,believe me i know what im talking about.Ok everyone is entitled to thier own opinion,id rather give some beggar in the market a few bob than give to the likes of stores that perform like Rimping,Parasites are every where,In chiangmai they are known as RIMPING.

What are you talking about?

Rimping prices are easily visible.

They stock things that other places don't, are convenient and well laid out, and have easy parking.

I shop at Rimping most weeks and spend 3000-4000 baht each week.

It's all about selection, convenience and freshness. I'm sure there are cheaper places, but Rimping Hang Dong or near Central Airport are decent and have most everything I need.

Typically I go out of my way (not real far) to go to a mom and pop shop. My dislike for huge corporations grows daily. I also appreciate mom a pop shops because I like like to drink beer anytime I wish.

Well said Sir!

The licensing hours here are are ridiculous. They do nothing to curb excess drinking by the Thais. They only inconvenience normal.people who would have an alcoholic drink in the afternoon or after midnight. Way too much Thainess for me! Wish we could swap out all the 7-11's for privately owned stores.

Sorry but normal people don't drink in the afternoons or after midnight. They work to provide for their families.

So having proved your not normal please try to buy your beer in advance like most normal people. Better still give up alcohol.

It would be nice, though probably neither economic nor practical, if they offered the "moms & pops" training and financing to operate 7-Elevens & Family Marts as owner-operated franchises. It would obviously involve supervision and over-sight and some failures, but at least if done on a restricted basis (as is done with many franchise outlets in the west), it would probably garner them more respect and evidence that they are not entirely soul-less mega corporations.

But they ARE entirely soul-less mega corporations and can not deserve respect. I use them all but, when the opportunity arises, I choose the alternative; especially when dining. Corporations and banks rule the world (sometimes under the guise of 'democracy' or 'republic' or 'constitutional monarchy'). To live in reality, one has to accept that fact and acceptance is part of Buddha's teaching. Right or wrong, it does keep my blood pressure down.

Edited by rametindallas

I prefer the Mom & Pop shops as long as I don't get the Falang price

And that's the thing isn't it? If I find a shop that charges me sensible prices - I don't mind paying a bit over - I keep going there. I had one that I was buying ciggies and occasional beer from for a couple of years, then all of a sudden, for no apparent reason she charged me almost double for 5 packs of ciggies. I couldn't believe it - very politely I indicated that the price she was asking was wrong and offered the correct money, but no. It was almost double. She insisted.

I declined to buy them, walked away shaking my head and started going to the 7/11.

And this is why 7-11 has thrived with their fixed/non-negotiable pricing, having employee to greet you, keeping items fresh and in stock, services to pay phone and electric, etc., with A/C, and brightly lit. These extras cost more than a mom-and-pop store will pay and 7-11 only charges a small premium for these benefits. Yes, your money goes to a soul-less corporation but the mom-and pop store also buys from the soul-less corporation. The soul-less corporation will get your money one way or another. That's why they buy politicians to make rules to benefit them. CP knows they hold all the good cards and will win so they are not bothered by a boycott that will soon be forgotten by most people.

The "ugly mom and pop stores"? Most of the 7-11 stores I see in Thailand have very dirty and trashy outside areas (steps, porch, etc.). Given how much money they make you'd assume they'd keep their shops neat and clean and take some pride in their stores. Guess not.

And their competition does clean the steps and in front of their shops? The way Thais litter, they would need a full-time employee (each shift) to keep that clean. I have found the insides to alway be more neat and clean than any mom-and-pop store which you seem to be comparing them to. Very few businesses in Bangkok keep up the pathway in front so I don't get your point.

I always try to buy clothes, jewellery, furniture, ornaments, gifts, and other special items, from traditional Thai family shops. I like to feel that I'm supporting traditional and local crafts, and local families, while obtaining nice items for myself or that I can give as presents.

The 7-11 near my home has had the same people working there for years, so to me they are like a family shop too. They're genuinely friendly and helpful, it isn't just an act, and they are really happy to have jobs there - especially on hot days, lol.

I like their bread, crisps, and instant coffee. Stuff of life.

I like the ridiculous alcoholic beverage regulations because that way I can time my visits to my local 7-11 or Family Mart so I don't encounter persons buying beer or other imbibes.

then you will love Indonesia, because, with the exception of Bali, the entire sale of alcohol will be prohibited very soon and those found drinking a beer will go to jail (not sure about caning or stoning, but who knows....)

I believe the aim is to lower the alcohol content of beer as a first step. After that it looks like religion creeps in and there will be a total ban.

Maybe they will grant exemptions for tourist areas such as Bali.

I buy from the small shops,because i know them.You can be Frank.

do they realy care ? if the shop goes bankrupt, they will just find another poor stupid soul to put upfront 1 - 3 million baht franchise fee

with absolutely no guarantee that not another 7/11 will pop up right next to you when you become a bit sucessfull, thai copy style