Spain #1 Tourist Friendly Country-Thailand Slips Due to Safety

Hi Cabra,

the € is the Euro sign

£ is the GBP sign.

I used the old rate of about 40b to €1.

Rent is a big variable, depending on how long the contract, where the property is, the facilities included etc.

The housing market crashed a few years ago so it could be a good time to buy.

I read on TVF last year or the year before, that Thailand is thinking of investing in property in Spain?

Actually, I used to know some foreigners who got paid house sitting jobs which made life for them very good.

The way I see it: If you want your retirement destination as a place for lovely beaches and nature then Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Vietnam, Spain and Portugal is your answer.

If you are looking for cheap women and food then Cambodia and Philippines solves your problem.

If you are interested in democracy, quality living, good health care, and peace of mind then Spain and Portugal has it.

If crime is not an issue and you are comfortable with increasing levels of being pushed around to obtain visas and waiting in long lines, making endless border runs, listen to crap from officials who seem to know nothing, then Thailand is your place

If you are keen in purchasing property, owning title and feeling secure then Portugal, Spain, Panama, Costa Rica is yours.

Thailand ranked #35 overall....but is ranked behind several other Asian destinations (Singapore, Japan, China, Malaysia, Taiwan....)

Edit: Regarding safety, Thailand ranked last in Asia behind even Myanmar and the Philippines.

when I read "beat Switzerland for the top position" I knew the ranking was 100% bullshit.

It's not BS, just the way the scores came out. One thing Switzerland got nailed for was cost. And as a tourist, that can be very important. I know it is for me.

it is for me too.

but also general business hours, level of service, availability of amenities, climate...

and I maintain the ranking is BS, because I had a look at which criteria it integrates:

- Business environment

- Human resources and labour mark

What do the above have to do with tourism? They even include business travel as a criterium.

Clearly, the criteria used are tailored to suit someone's agenda.

Then, I also dispute the marks given.

How can business climate in Thailand, where shops and tourist businesses are open almost 24/7 for some be worse than in Switzerland, where most services are only available for 12 hours a day, 5 days a week ??

ICT readiness... Thailand offers wifi almost everywhere for cheap, as well as prepaid SIM cards that can come with mobile data anywhere. Try to get that as easily in some countries that were ranked higher in ICT readiness?

Haiti, Nicaragua, Ethiopia, Tanzania rank better the Thailand in safety and security... :facepalm:

Human resources and labour... they say it measures how efficiently human resources are allocated ... !?! The best for tourists is obviously plentiful low-cost labour.

The report gives Switzerland the top position, where all life vanishes from streets and shops at closing time and most "service" is do-it-yourself. Of course, that's very efficient. Just not what tourists are looking for.

The problem with Spain is it attracts a lot of the ''British Chavs''.. especially the Coastal Resorts...

ouch. Spain is off the list.

Yes, stay in Phuket or Pattaya etc, never get those types there 555

Seriously, any chavs are there in August and that's it!

Where we live we get Spanish tourists, and not too many at that!

Edit

Next week we shall be sitting in a nice beach BarRestaurant eating ice cream and having wine or beer and just relaxing a 10 minute stroll from our apartment.

We shall raise a glass to you - Cheers - Chalk Dee!

PS

The wine will be a nice Rioja and cost about 100baht but will include Tapas, thinking of you.... XxX

Edited by laislica