Chinese teenager first tourist blacklisted for 'uncivilized behavior'

webfact

Tourists can take a bad rap pretty much anywhere whether in their own country or abroad.

When I was in the Army ceremonial unit in Washington doing performances everywhere around and all of the time, we used to call the swarms of American tourists 'the animals.'

After a couple of thousand years of self-isolation the Chinese need to learn to interact with the world at large, in the globalized world in particular, and that starts at home in the present PRChina where there continues to be a cultural deficit of humor and social ease with one another.

The younger generations are changing China from within which means it's to the good that a couple of old faces get sat on by teenagers who've thrown out the old rules and the decrepit ways. The PRChina has a hundred times more rules of society than any place I'd been and every rule begins with "Don't".

I'll know the corner has been turned when a Chinese Spiderman climbs the Shanghai Tower and the revolution begins because the security police drag him off and away. wink.png

I like this guy.

Eighteen-year-old Li Wenchun was seen climbing onto a statue depicting a female soldier of the Red Army - the predecessor of the People's Liberation Army - at a commemorative park.

Agree with the politics of the country or not--this a representation of their army ---males & females who fought along side to defeat the Japanese invasion.

Would you all be writing how funny this act was if it was a western student sitting on the head of a lost British or American at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier ?

Maybe we can do a funny facebook pic next time that the Australians celebrate the slaughter of their solders at gallipoli. Get someone to sit on the head of their statue & make a funny sign....... it would be a hoot wouldn't it, & people like ev11chris Can post how he likes the guy.

Why do we feel we can make light of things that if done in the west would horrify us, But if done to Asians (from our perspective) is quite acceptable.

Edited by sanuk711

I like this guy.

Eighteen-year-old Li Wenchun was seen climbing onto a statue depicting a female soldier of the Red Army - the predecessor of the People's Liberation Army - at a commemorative park.

Agree with the politics of the country or not--this a representation of their army ---males & females who fought along side to defeat the Japanese invasion.

Would you all be writing how funny this act was if it was a western student sitting on the head of a lost British or American at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier ?

Maybe we can do a funny facebook pic next time that the Australians celebrate the slaughter of their solders at gallipoli. Get someone to sit on the head of their statue & make a funny sign....... it would be a hoot wouldn't it, & people like ev11chris Can post how he likes the guy.

Why do we feel we can make light of things that if done in the west would horrify us, But if done to Asians (from our perspective) is quite acceptable.

I like the guy too along with a number of other people to include people in the PRChina. The kid was placed on a tourist watchlist, not sent off to a gulag so even the CCP authorities didn't consider his act deserving of any punishment.

Mao and Chang only minimally fought the Japanese during the 1930s into the 1940s as they could not work together and each was preserving his respective resources for a resumption of the civil war the Japanese and WW2 itself temporarily interrupted and which did occur. This was one reason for the extent of Japanese military successes in China. At 18 the kid would know this and the kid is indeed a kid....kids today!

The Tomb of the Unknown Servicemen along the Potomac River is guarded 24/7 so no one intending overt disrespect is going to get far. Sitting on another soldier's tombstone in another section of Arlington National Cemetery would not be recommended but it would not be vandalism.

Heads of state or government visiting a foreign country almost always pay respect at a sacred site of national military sacrifice which what matters.