How can I be sure - not a Pirated copy ?

JackisBack

Isn't this all irrelevant with Windows 10 coming out soon where all versions of Windows can be upgraded free, legitimate or not?

Microsoft hasn't said how the illegitimate updaters will become legitimate. Will they just be 90-day previews with payable license path, or...

The fact that the OS that was installed was not the original version and it was not activated makes you think just what are these people doing , looking at the repair center its self , its full of boxes that have arrived by post , there's stacks of laptops on the reception desk , just laying un protected on top of each other , that look like there waiting for their owners to collect after being repaired , when the receptionist handed me back the T200TA to check every thing was in order, I noticed that the OS now installed was not the original version , she called a technician ( I use that world lightly ) to come out from the back office and have a look, when this young scruffy looking boy finally appeared , I pointed out that the OS was not the original one and it clearly stated that it was not activated , it took the technician a few minutes of messing about trying several things , then he handed the machine back to me with a silly smile , and said now OK , when I again pointed out on the screen the words '' not activated '' , he grabbed the machine and disappeared into the back office . How can an Asus authorized service center install a different OS version and even more baffling , not activate it , if the service center is carrying out what could be hundreds of repairs a month , surely who ever installed a different OS version and not activated it , would know the coming consequences .

I don't think the tech has a clue what he's doing. I can't think of a single reason to touch the HDD data other than to validate after booting. The very idea that one would take a legit installation complete with a factory restore partition and replace it with a different version which is probably inexpertly pirated (it isn't validated) would take some tall 'splaining.

According one of the other posts, he's an "engineer," not a technician. That must be it.

ZWhat you have, if it's 32-bit Windows on a Z3775 (quad core Atom) is "Windows with Bing".

This is an ultra-cheap version of full Windows that Microsoft has released to OEMs for use in low-powered PCs and tablets to compete against Android.

For the manufacturers it's essentially free, but in order for this version to not cannibalise sales of regular Windows, Microsoft has mandated it's 32-bit only and has restrictions on the amount of memory that can be installed.

You can backup the restore partition to a USB drive if you need to free up some space.

Because it's so cheap for the OEMs, they have no incentive to install some alternative, and no reason to not sell it with the full version, even in Thailand.

So trying to make sure that every things ok before setting out on the long trip home , is some thing I would like to plan for in advance .

Ive just remembered that I have access to a nearby Lotus store free wifi , could having internet access help in any way .

You can check if windows is genuine from the MS site. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/genuine. That said I use a non-original version. It took several years before they flagged it as non-genuine. On boot up u get a screen telling you that, and then another screen telling you why u should get genuine. If you don't click on them, they add about 20 seconds to the boot time, Other than that they turn your desktop wall paper to black. That's my desktop. On my laptop I run the same non-genuine version, from the same install CD and it has never been flagged. (Windows 7 ultimate)

the cause for the non original windows black bootscreen, if you have automatic updates one of the downloads is a genuine windows validation tool. Work around this is just go into automatic updates and select chose what to install or u can manually find it and right click to hide. I had a copy of win8.1 original and wiped my harddrive and lost the activation key. I ended up buying one from china online for $1 usd and activated my copy as a orginal and I got all the updates. This is how the chinese guys on ebay sell bootleged copys with serial keys that pass all validation tests.

No advice on your problem, but PLEASE ask for the faulty main board. Something sounds fishy to me.

Touch screen = driver or screen digitizer issue, i'm not sure how the mainboard would impact this. Yes there could be circuitry on the MB that handles this, but just in case, you are entitled to take away the faulty parts....insist on it.

I don't believe he is entitled to the faulty part as the machine is still under warranty. If faulty the agent would send to ASUS for replacement stock.

Very surprised that the motherboard is faulty. Asus use probably the best motherboards on the market hence the reason for their excellent reputation.

Get te old board back. Even if you cant do anything with it you dont want to give it away.

If you go to System restore and click advanced you will find the option to restore to manufacturers setup. Click that and let it run. The manufactureres OEM software will be installed so you dont have to worry.

Make a backup of any files you have on it first as this process will delet everything

"Asus authorized service center "..............are you sure? whistling.gif

Ive just re checked and the offical ASUS service center for my nearest area ( the one where I took the T200TA ) the same company is all so named for many other areas , so it looks like a large company who do repair work for ASUS , nation wide .

Edited by JackisBack

If you go to System restore and click advanced you will find the option to restore to manufacturers setup. Click that and let it run. The manufactureres OEM software will be installed so you dont have to worry.

Make a backup of any files you have on it first as this process will delet everything

Thanks ,

This photograph was taken of the T200TA before I took it to the Asus service center

WP_20150109_001_zps0p9snquz.jpg

So have I got this correct ?

If when I return to pick up the repaired T200TA and if it seems for what ever reason I'm not happy with what OS has been installed and activated , I can then just carry out what you are describing and the original OS will then be reinstalled and activated , even if the main board has been changed ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks ,

This photograph was taken of the T200TA before I took it to the Asus service center

WP_20150109_001_zps0p9snquz.jpg

So have I got this correct ?

If when I return to pick up the repaired T200TA and if it seems for what ever reason I'm not happy with what OS has been installed and activated , I can then just carry out what you are describing and the original OS will then be reinstalled and activated , even if the main board has been changed ?

Yes but remember any applications in the softwar they have installed that are not in the OeM version you have will be lost. Another way to check is try and update your software from th Microsoft site. If it isnt genuine you can bet they will let you know