Fairly cheap but good dentist

Kaalle

I need a cleaning and probably some fillings plus the big one two wisdom teeth removed. Any suggestions would be very much welcomed. There are a bunch of threads I know but nothing super recent. Thanks!

I have used Phyathai Dental Hospital quite a few times . Reasonably priced ( there are a lot more expensive dentists in BKK) and just up the road from Suam Pakkad Palace Meuseum and around the corner from the BTS (airport line) .

Phyathai 1 Hospital
364/1 Sri Ayuthaya Road, Phayathai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok
Thailand

Bangkok International Dental Center ! 7 floors and 70+ pros for most complete and professional care in Thailand its some of the most reasonable prices anywhere for the level of care one gets .

Simple question: If you were really good at what you do, would you let your work/time go for "fairly cheap?" Understand something very basic. Dentistry is like everything else. You generally get what you pay for. Good luck.

Bangkok International Dental Center ! 7 floors and 70+ pros for most complete and professional care in Thailand its some of the most reasonable prices anywhere for the level of care one gets .

Where is it?

International Dental Center currently has 3 offices in Thailand:

Bangkok International Dental Center (BIDC) - Main Headquarters at Ratchadapesik Rd

Phuket Dental Signature - Phuket, Patong Beach

Dental Signature by BIDC - Siam Paragon Shopping Mall

BIDC Bangkok Dental Clinics Thailand Dentists จัดฟัน

http://www.bangkokdentalcenter.com/?ViewFullSite=true

• 1 month later...

Mahidol near vic monument, full of well of Thais not wanting to pay over the odds.

Based on a few recommendations, I went (with my ex) to Mahidol Dentist yesterday to Register (and have a look at the place and find out prices)

Firstly: the building is impressive. (looks good).

Next: The registration was PAINFULLY SLOW !! (no one in front of us... but it still took them 20 minutes to produce a Hospital card, which costs 20 baht).

FInally:

They have TWO dentist areas to choose from: Special Clinic (which is the NORMAL Dentists that have already GRADUATED).

and then they have the STUDENT dentists (that have not yet graduated).

the prices are DIFFERENT:

eg:

a White Composite Filling (1 surface) at the STUDENT dentist is 200 baht. whereas the same thing at the Normal dentist (Special Dentist department) is around 500+ Baht.. (they dont have Specific prices!!! its at the discretion of the Doctor) !

PS: it looked CLEAN and there was about 40 or more dental chairs and patients in the large hall.. (it all looked modern, but crowded and a bit impersonal).

IMPORTANT: I SAW NO EVIDENCE OF ANY PATIENTS WALKING OFF TO GET X-RAYS DONE.

I WILL ASSUME THAT X-RAYS ARE AVOIDED (Where Possible) AS THEY SLOW DOWN THE PROCESS and I THINK THE DENTISTS THERE JUST WANT TO GO AHEAD WITH THEIR ASSUMPTION, (Rather than Visual X-Ray Proof).

also: i wanted to book an appointment at the Special (Normal) Dentist and the wait was about 1 month.

whereas the waiting time at the Student Dentist section was more than 7 months !!!!

All in all,, for 500 baht for a white composite filling (at the Special-Normal clinic) with a 1 month wait seems silly !!!

Most Clean and Hygienic Dentist Shops in Bangkok are EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE !!! and you can just walk-in without a 1 month wait !!

also: the dentists in a shop are more likely to be more experienced than the ones in the Special Clinic at the Mahidol 'freshly graduated' Dentist.

also: if I search OUTSIDE Bangkok, I can find White composite fillings for 300 baht each or LESS !

so really, I dont understand why THAI PEOPLE would bother with Madihol University Dentists.

I assume that the Thai People have a false sense of security because its a famous hospital and looks nice.

the price is MORE than what they would pay in a normal Dental Surgery in their local area.

there is a place near to Thonglor BTS station that even does White Composite fillings for 300 baht each.

anyway.. if anyone has something better to say about Mahidol, then please feel free to add to the discussion :)

how are these prices Reasonable ????

http://www.bangkokdentalcenter.com/thailanddentist/fees.htm

its TOP PRICE !!

way more than most GOOD dental surgeries around Bangkok.

(or maybe you went there at a time when the prices were cheaper ?)

Simple question: If you were really good at what you do, would you let your work/time go for "fairly cheap?" Understand something very basic. Dentistry is like everything else. You generally get what you pay for. Good luck.

I know at least two very skilled surgeons who work at the Provincial Hospital (Suan Dok) for quite low salaries, simply because they want to teach medical students and support the people of Chiang Mai. I've had the discussion with them over why they do this when they could work at private hospitals and earn ten times the amount.

• 2 months later...

Mahidol near vic monument, full of well of Thais not wanting to pay over the odds.

Mahidol needs you to JOIN the hospital first and then Book an Appointament.

they have TWO dental clinics: Normal and Cheap.

Normal clinic has 2 months waiting list!! and fillings are around 500 baht per surface.. (same as most local shops).

and Cheap clinic has 1 year waiting list!!!! and fillings are around 250 baht per surface.

i checked their webiste.

1000 baht per filling!

most dentists are between 500 to 800 baht per filling!!

even the dentist inside Siam Paragon is around 800 baht per filling!

how on earth can you say that the Bkk international Dental centre is "some of the most reasonable prices anywhere" ??????

Normal clinic has 2 months waiting list!! and fillings are around 500 baht per surface.. (same as most local shops).

and Cheap clinic has 1 year waiting list!!!! and fillings are around 250 baht per surface.

You join by filing out a form, takes 10 mins. Never heard of 2 clinics and never waited more than a few days for an appt. Would never go there again as they wanted to remove a 'bad' gold inlay and root canal plus crown replacement. Two other dentists one in bkk and one in UK said nothing wrong with it at all!

I have used Phyathai Dental Hospital quite a few times . Reasonably priced ( there are a lot more expensive dentists in BKK) and just up the road from Suam Pakkad Palace Meuseum and around the corner from the BTS (airport line) .

Phyathai 1 Hospital
364/1 Sri Ayuthaya Road, Phayathai, Ratchathewi, Bangkok
Thailand

I agree, excellent service I have been going there now several years and have recommended it to visiting friends who have all been very satisfied. I also went to a cheaper dentist many years ago and got a filling. A couple of months later part of the tooth split off resulting in a far more expensive crown. Sometimes cheaper isn't always cheapest in the long run.

• 7 months later...
Which location were you looking for? I had my wisdom tooth removed at Thantakit Dental in Bangkapi, BKK. Also had cleanings and fillings done with them before and was always satisfied with their high-quality service. Thantakit is a popular dental center among expats and their dentists have been trained abroad. Their state-of-the-art facilities and building is indeed topnotch. It's always a perfect idea to choose the best places for your dental and health needs. Not a good thing to just have it done anywhere.

• 1 month later...

I went to a clinic today next to bts udom suk. It looked decent enough but they quote me 2000 baht for cleaning and 1 filling. Do I get from this topic that's way overpriced?

I think thats very expensive for a clinic in UDOM SUK !!

if you go to Bangkok Hospital (which is a very high standard (many of their dentists are international standard)... and they charge this same price.

so I would hope your udom suk clinic is Amazing.

and yes.. for this forum, these prices are sky high.

You join by filing out a form, takes 10 mins. Never heard of 2 clinics and never waited more than a few days for an appt. Would never go there again as they wanted to remove a 'bad' gold inlay and root canal plus crown replacement. Two other dentists one in bkk and one in UK said nothing wrong with it at all!

i do agree that they probably make bad errors at Mahidol.

but actually the DO have two separate clinics there.. (the regular one, and the mega cheap and long waiting one).

unless of course you are visiting a different place to what I was referring to.

thats incredible about a few days waiting list.

when I asked,, they said it was 2 months.. and they said its Always 2 months.

so I am guessing you are talking about a different place maybe ?

Mahidol is where lower-class Thais go. You won't find any well-off Thais there.

I highly recommend Bangkok International Dental Center on Rachataphisek Soi 7. Excellent place (and I've been to a few). Prices may be slightly above average, but the care is top-notch, all of the doctors speak excellent English and they know how to take care of foreigners.

Edited by jackspade

I've had dental work done in Thailand over the course of the last 6 or 7 years at Promjai dental in Bangkok and Phuket and have been very impressed. It started off with a simple repair after the edge of a tooth broke and moved on to replacing fillings, finishing off a couple of root canals, braces, crowns and an implant.

They weren't the cheapest I could possibly have found but the price was still around a third of what I would have paid in Australia. I am very happy with the current state of my teeth. There are enough horror stories around concerning cheap Asian dental work having to be rectified on returning home to make anyone cautious. I had an incompetent dentist mess up some work when I was in my early teens which caused me serious problems years later and was finally sorted out in Bangkok.

Its not worth saving a few hundred baht with the risks involved, go for an established practice used by better off locals. Avoid a place catering exclusively to foreigners who are unlikely to be able to return if something goes wrong. Promjai have a good track record with me, I would also happily go to BIDC based on their reputation. There are only a few others I would consider going to without doing a lot of checking first.