One farang, two Thais injured on Pattaya Road

Thaivisa News

Pattaya, Chon Buri:- An unidentified farang, his Thai girl friend and another Thai were injured when the farang’s motorcycle fell into a “dangerous hole” on the Second Pattaya Road before it hit another motorcycle early Saturday, police said.

The Pattaya police station was alerted at 2:30 am Saturday that three persons were injured in a two-motorcycle crash on the Second Pattaya Road in South Pattaya in front of Soi 13 off the road.

Police officers from the station and rescuers from the Sawang Boribun Thammasathan Pattaya Foundation rushed to the scene.

They found a blue Honda Click motorcycle with Chon Buri license plate lying on the road beside an unidentified farang man, who appeared to be around 30 to 35 years old, and an unidentified Thai woman, who appeared in the same range of age.

The farang was badly injured and was unconscious. The Thai woman was also severely injured with blood over her face.

Another Thai man with minor injury at his right ankle was also found at the scene.

The rescuers provided them first aid treatment and rushed them to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

Eyewitnesses told police that the farang was speeding his motorcycle with his girlfriend and when they arrived at the scene, the bike fell into one of shallow holes on the road and lost control and fell.

The motorcycle slid for about 100 meters and hit another bike.

Local residents said the part of the road has been repaved higher while the lid of manholes of sewerage pipes have not been lifted up to the same level of the new road pavement, causing them to be shallow holes.

They said several accidents have occurred and the local people called the lids as “dangerous holes”.

These hazards are all over the place. I saw a hole in the middle of a major road recently that only had a bamboo pole sticking out of it. It was there for almost a week before being fixed. Right in the middle of the road.

Maybe a few 10MM Baht lawsuits would change things??? It would sure wake up city officials.

Driving in Pattaya is a high-speed obstacle course surrounded by drunks, junkies and monkeys.

It beats any adventure playground or amusement park for excitement.

An adrenaline rush and great fun until the $h!t hits the fan.

I'm surprised there have not been more accidents. They tried to fix it once already, they put new covers on top of the old covers and then added asphalt on top of them about 2 months ago. This raised them slightly, however since then the buses and heavy trucks have mashed them back down and it is almost as bad as when they resurfaced the road. I'm sure they also damage expecting drivers with lowered cars too. I would blame the mayor but after looking at his facebook page I see he is too busy with photo shoots.

2rd was much better about 15 years ago when it was concrete, since putting asphalt on it the road gets pot holes after each rainy season.

Each Thai official will do their job to the minimum, regardless of what consequences may occur.

So many outcomes are so so obvious.

Each officials' job is "boxed". Cannot and does not work outside the "box".

That's "Thainess" for you !!

Local residents said the part of the road has been repaved higher while the lid of manholes of sewerage pipes have not been lifted up to the same level of the new road pavement, causing them to be shallow holes.

Was the same along Viphawadee in Bangkok a few yrs ago. They raised one area and one manhole cover on the left side of the road must have been at least 6 inches deep. Highspeed road. Big hole where the scooters rides.

Every week for a year there would be a new scibble of white spray paint just past it until they actually fixed it.

"...Local residents said the part of the road has been repaved higher while the lid of manholes of sewerage pipes have not been lifted up to the same level of the new road pavement, causing them to be shallow holes..."

Brainless city officials and their so-called engineers.

Pattaya city roads department at their inept best. The drain covers on 2nd road just beside soi Diana are really bad and unless you know the road it would be easy to get caught out. These idiots couldn't fix you a drink never mind a bloody road!

Has anyone in Thailand heard of "defensive driving"?

Motorbike, car, truck or tank, dd is the only way to survive. Not to boast, no claims, no blames, for 8 years here and previous 12 years in UK. (I was younger and foolish then, so can't legitimately claim the no claim discount before that!).

And before the TV community say, "must be too old to drive" or "must drive too slowly, and is a cause", just ask the wife! Holes in the road, dogs, children, families of 5 on the bike, trucks wrong side of the road, road washed out, road is soft sand not tarmac, etc., etc., Yes, seen it all. Now 65+, had UK bike licence @16, car@ 17, use both here, did in UK anf Africa.

oh sh*t, now I'll have an accident tomorrow!

Never mind, you'll read all aboit it on TV,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"...Local residents said the part of the road has been repaved higher while the lid of manholes of sewerage pipes have not been lifted up to the same level of the new road pavement, causing them to be shallow holes..."

Brainless city officials and their so-called engineers.

Engineer here is a very mis-used word. They dont have many engineers in this country

Part of the "human free" traffic control plan. The raised covers serve function as "speed bumps" and the holes are Thai invention of "speed holes". If his motorcycle really did slide for 100 meters, then probably safe to assume he was going insanely fast for a crowded city street. No sympathy from me for him, but for girl, yes...

Surprise surprise this happened 2.30 am and the farang was speeding without helmet. But yes , lets blame the hole .

No. Let's blame the morons that signed off and paid for the lousy road work.

Like the poster above mentioned, look at the drains in front of Soi Diana.

The city probably paid for the correct cast iron drain covers but it appears some bozo stole the funds and welded up some drains out of sheet metal in his back yard.

How many more riders will be injured or die before they fix it?

Surprise surprise this happened 2.30 am and the farang was speeding without helmet. But yes , lets blame the hole .

If the hole wasn't there the accident wouldn't have happened....or maybe if the foreigner wasn't there then the accident wouldn't have happened ? ? ?

Raising the manhole covers and drains are not part of the original repaving contract?

Who signs off on all these inept city projects I wonder?

Even in Australia the original contract possibly does not include the raising of the manhole covers. I have seen this as a variation on a number of occasions, however the work does get done.

Has anyone in Thailand heard of "defensive driving"?

Motorbike, car, truck or tank, dd is the only way to survive. Not to boast, no claims, no blames, for 8 years here and previous 12 years in UK. (I was younger and foolish then, so can't legitimately claim the no claim discount before that!).

And before the TV community say, "must be too old to drive" or "must drive too slowly, and is a cause", just ask the wife! Holes in the road, dogs, children, families of 5 on the bike, trucks wrong side of the road, road washed out, road is soft sand not tarmac, etc., etc., Yes, seen it all. Now 65+, had UK bike licence @16, car@ 17, use both here, did in UK anf Africa.

oh sh*t, now I'll have an accident tomorrow!

Never mind, you'll read all aboit it on TV,

Defensive driving is the most important skill to have in any country but a requirement in Thailand if you want to avoid traffic accidents and injuries.. And it is quite simple really with the number one requirement, being alert at all times.. Then you use your prior knowledge to be prepared for the worst.. Slow down on poorly maintained roads.. Expect all other drivers to cut you off, ignore stop signs, traffic lights and pull out in front of you.. Always try and keep tabs on what is going on behind you, try to maintain safe distance from other vehicles and constantly be prepared to for evasive action by calculating the safest route.. as in serve left or right or abrupt stop.. As Grusa stated.. defensive driving has also kept me safe and injury free while driving cars and motorcycles in Thailand.. so far..