Still the SALA Project : Painting rusty C sections !

SurinBeach

So my builder/contractor started building the roof but forgot to paint the inside of a few of the Steel C section rafters.

They went slightly rusty...

He's now repainted them, straight over the rust...

Looks like they didn't use primer either, but Lotto Super Gloss enamel paint

Thoughts/Advice please Gents ?

Pics attached below hopefully ...

Many thanks .......

Regards

SB

Ps LAST Building project in LOS EVER !

Pps Last minute update he agreed to replace the rusty sections BUT still no primer, just paints the enamel straight on ...

post-170242-0-80955400-1431146359_thumb.

post-170242-0-58221500-1431146378_thumb.

post-170242-0-81949600-1431146399_thumb.

post-170242-0-17875200-1431146428_thumb.

post-170242-0-32824800-1431146453_thumb.

post-170242-0-75855300-1431146477_thumb.

Just lower quality work to save costs....they probably honestly feel it OK...why the concern. In construction of houses around my area here in Bangkok and my MIL's area out in the province I've always seen builders prime the metal with rust preventive (red/brown in color) like they use to prime metal fences around a person's yard...and then usually apply some enamel paint. By "usually" I mean if the metal can be seen; otherwise, it's hidden away appears some builders don't apply a topcoat of paint. And there are some metal paints that actually serve as combo primer and topcoat. With all this being said I wouldn't foresee any problem for decades since the metal is shielded from the rain and did have enamel paint put on it.

why the concern ...

Was that a question to me ? I'm concerend cos 2 structures I visit that are similar and about 5 years old are showing some and BIG signs of rust already ....

Nope, the ..."why the concern"... part was meant to describe the probable the frame of mind of the Thai workers. They probably feel it's completely OK. Plus they know that once the job is completed and they are paid, it would be at least a few years before any rust might start showing which is way after any warranty they may give....if they are even around your area anymore.

OK...

Ps But its a FARANG buidler ....Thought he would know better or care more actually !

why the concern ...

Was that a question to me ? I'm concerend cos 2 structures I visit that are similar and about 5 years old are showing some and BIG signs of rust already ....

Nope, the ..."why the concern"... part was meant to describe the probable the frame of mind of the Thai workers. They probably feel it's completely OK. Plus they know that once the job is completed and they are paid, it would be at least a few years before any rust might start showing which is way after any warranty they may give....if they are even around your area anymore.

OK...

Ps But its a FARANG buidler ....Thought he would know better or care more actually !

why the concern ...

By the look of it...He might be a Farang, but he definitely is not a builder....

Expect the farang builder is just adopting Thai builder methods to be competitive.

For the steel shown, 1 Gallon of oxide primer would be more than enough, and that costs around 350 Baht. That's proper penny pinching :)