23-year-old man slams into parked 18-wheeler Phuket truck

Lite Beer

23-year-old man slams into parked 18-wheeler Phuket truck
Eakkapop Thongtub

1431151019_1.jpg

A 23-year-old man crashed his motorbike into the back of a parked truck

PHUKET: A 23-year-old man was taken to hospital with a head injury after he slammed his motorbike into the back of an 18-wheeler truck shortly after midnight (May 9).

Phuket city police Lt Chalew Taihu was called to the scene to investigate the crash that occurred on southbound of Thepkassattri Rd in Koh Kaew, just 200 metres away from Muslim Wittaya school.

Upon arrival, police and rescue workers found the victim, Kitti Yeemuda, lying unconscious under the wreckage of a Honda Click.

The victim appeared to be suffering from severe head injuries and was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital.

The truck driver was not at the scene when police arrived.

Witnesses told police that the 18-wheeler truck had been parked on the side of the road since early evening. Just after midnight the motorbike came at a high speed and slammed into the back of the parked truck.

Police are currently looking for the truck driver.

No charges will be filed until police are able to question the truck driver and the victim.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/23-year-old-man-slams-into-parked-18-wheeler-phuket-truck-52232.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-05-09

If it isn't a parked truck caving yer head in, it's a Thai scooterist that's gone ballistic and kicks you to death then drives over yer head, or a six inch hole in the road where they raised the asphalt but left the manhole cover 6 inches below it.

And that's just in the last 2 days.

saai.gif

Edited by Happy Grumpy

No warning light at the truck.

No warning triangle 100 meter behind the truck on the road.

No head light on the motorbike.

No helmet for the motorbike driver.

Instead some leaves one meter behind the truck on the road.

And of course some good luck amulet around the neck of the motorbike driver.

So, for God's sake! Why the hell could this accident happen? After his recovery of the accident, this guy has to talk to his monk.

See it every day. Someone turning right. They indicate for about 500 metres. Thai people maybe are unable to see indicator light. They drive right behind The vehicle until they can't go any further. The western driver has seen it and pulled into the left lane in plenty of time and able to pass at ease. Mystifies me every time. Maybe a genetic issue?

But you have to admit that it really is quiet difficult to see an 18 wheeler parked up at the side of the road, they aint that big are they !

well of course, the rear of the truck had all red lights on, and then there was the standard international red triangle 50 metres behind the truck. NOT.

the dudes in the pic look lost - no body to point at.

probably arrest the truckie, for sleeping in his bed, and with his own wife to boot.

plenty of overhead street lighting.

plenty of retro-reflective panelling - but oh! he missed that panel by inches...

So, for God's sake! Why the hell could this accident happen? After his recovery of the accident, this guy has to talk to his monk.

My thoughts, exactly. I see these abandoned vehicles on the sides of roads at night with no lights, no reflective warning triangles amidst all the people driving and riding with no lights going both directions on both sides of the road. I always hedge towards the middle of the lane or road with hopes of having a little bit more room to react, but in truth I've mostly quit driving here at night. It's enough of a challenge in the light of day!

Really, seems like some people are completely oblivious of what is in front of them. I saw the same sort of thing with a small lorry a few months back and just don't know how it could happen. My wife helped a guy out, in front of the licensing office in Phuket City, when he drove into a minivan that was turning right into the road. I just think some people just don't keep an eye on the road in front of them. Just think that the traffic will just flow and everything will be alright until it isn't.

How someone cannot see an 18-wheel lorry in a brightly-lit street defies belief.

yep, and what has that to do with this incident? The trailer is illuminated by the rescue vehicles headlights, a vehilcle parked up on a main road/highway after dusk should have parking lights illuminated if it has to remain there, in any country where traffic laws are applied then this would not be llowed and the truck driver would have to find an authorised stop/parking area unless an emergency and the must have illumination.

The scooter has maybe been going a tad fast for conditions and rider has seen the trailer too late - accident waiting to happen as many poorly parked vehicles are on Thai highways, be safe out there...

Hope the rider is ok and is not badly injured as a result of this drivers stupid choice of parking/stopping

The truck parked, but the road is wide enough, the rider scooting along in the wet with his head down watching the road 3 metres in front and just not thinking except about getting home. Cannot see any fault with the Truckie as the 18 wheel apparently parked legally.

Even if it had been lit up like a Christmas Tree there is a good chance that the rider still wouldn't have seen it. This is nothing more than an accident and there is no internation consortium of truck manufacturers developing light absorbing paint to make trucks and spy satellites disappear and no conspiracies, just a tired, careless and unlucky guy who picked the wrong time to lose concentration.

The truck parked, but the road is wide enough, the rider scooting along in the wet with his head down watching the road 3 metres in front and just not thinking except about getting home. Cannot see any fault with the Truckie as the 18 wheel apparently parked legally.

Even if it had been lit up like a Christmas Tree there is a good chance that the rider still wouldn't have seen it. This is nothing more than an accident and there is no internation consortium of truck manufacturers developing light absorbing paint to make trucks and spy satellites disappear and no conspiracies, just a tired, careless and unlucky guy who picked the wrong time to lose concentration.

What makes you conclude the truck was parked legally? Why do you think it was raining when the accident took place?

The second is a supposition, based on circumstance If you enlarge the picture, the ground at the side looks wet and for the second, if the vehicle was illegally parked, it would have been booked immediately with further charges depending on the fate of the rider and there was no mention of this in the article. Since it is a fundamental part of the article, I would guess that the vehicle was actually legally parked.

How someone cannot see an 18-wheel lorry in a brightly-lit street defies belief.

yep, and what has that to do with this incident? The trailer is illuminated by the rescue vehicles headlights, a vehilcle parked up on a main road/highway after dusk should have parking lights illuminated if it has to remain there, in any country where traffic laws are applied then this would not be llowed and the truck driver would have to find an authorised stop/parking area unless an emergency and the must have illumination.

The scooter has maybe been going a tad fast for conditions and rider has seen the trailer too late - accident waiting to happen as many poorly parked vehicles are on Thai highways, be safe out there...

Hope the rider is ok and is not badly injured as a result of this drivers stupid choice of parking/stopping

Maybe you see a different photo to me. I see a brightly-lit road surface and plenty of street lights. I believe that the bike rider wasn't paying attention and got what he deserved. He could have just as easily ridden into someone crossing the road and killed them - far more difficult to see a person than a lorry. An 18-wheeler IS difficult not to see. Maybe you might have a problem with that but I believe most people would be able to spot it.

The second is a supposition, based on circumstance If you enlarge the picture, the ground at the side looks wet and for the second, if the vehicle was illegally parked, it would have been booked immediately with further charges depending on the fate of the rider and there was no mention of this in the article. Since it is a fundamental part of the article, I would guess that the vehicle was actually legally parked.

Both are not correct. No parking there and no rain

See it every day. Someone turning right. They indicate for about 500 metres. Thai people maybe are unable to see indicator light. They drive right behind The vehicle until they can't go any further. The western driver has seen it and pulled into the left lane in plenty of time and able to pass at ease. Mystifies me every time. Maybe a genetic issue?

What on earth does this have to do with a motor cycle running into the back of a truck parked in the nearside lane?

LOS is not Germany or Europe at all, to talk with a monk is also not a real good suggestion he will only extort money.

You know all that how, oh wise one?